|Whether secreted away in a smoky basement laboratory or gleefully experimenting in a well-
|Role: The chemist’s reputation is not softened by his exuberance (some would say dangerous recklessness) in perfecting his potion-
|Hit Die: d8|
|Starting Wealth: 3d6 × 10 gil (average 105 gil.) In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gil or less.|
The chemist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Craft (any) (Int), Disable Device (Dex), Fly (Dex), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha).
|Skill Points Per Level: 4 + Int modifier|
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special|
|1st||+0||+2||+2||+0||Bomb (1d6), Craft Alchemical Item, Throw Anything, Limit Breaks|
|2nd||+1||+3||+3||+0||Discovery, Throw Alchemical Item (15 ft.)|
|3rd||+2||+3||+3||+1||Bomb (2d6), Swift Alchemy|
|4th||+3||+4||+4||+1||Discovery, Alchemical Mixture (Tier 1)|
|5th||+3||+4||+4||+1||Bomb (3d6), Anesthetic|
|6th||+4||+5||+5||+2||Discovery, Throw Alchemical Item (30 ft.)|
|7th||+5||+5||+5||+2||Bomb (4d6), Improved Quaff Potion|
|9th||+6/+1||+6||+6||+3||Bomb (5d6), Mix|
|10th||+7/+2||+7||+7||+3||Discovery, Throw Alchemical Item (45 ft.)|
|11th||+8/+3||+7||+7||+3||Bomb (6d6), Auto-Potion, Alchemical Mixture (Tier 2)|
|13th||+9/+4||+8||+8||+4||Bomb (7d6), Quaff Potion Mastery|
|14th||+10/+5||+9||+9||+4||Discovery, Throw Alchemical Item (60 ft.)|
|15th||+11/+6/+1||+9||+9||+5||Bomb (8d6), Defensive Bombing|
|17th||+12/+7/+2||+10||+10||+5||Bomb (9d6), Item Lore|
|18th||+13/+8/+3||+11||+11||+6||Discovery, Alchemical Mixture (Tier 3)|
|19th||+14/+9/+4||+11||+11||+6||Bomb (10d6), Instant Alchemy|
All of the following are class features of the chemist.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Chemists are proficient with all simple weapons, simple firearms, and bombs. Chemists are proficient with light armor, but not with any type of shields.
Limit Breaks (Su)
At 1st level, the chemist receives the Limit Breaks (Mega-
Perfect Bomb (Su): This Limit Break allows the chemist to create the perfect bomb. For the duration of 1 round + 1 round per four chemist levels after 1st, the chemist creates one of these bombs which he can throw at double the normal range and deals maximum damage. This limit break requires only a swift action.
In addition to magical extracts, chemists are adept at swiftly mixing various volatile chemicals and infusing them with their magical reserves to create powerful bombs that they can hurl at their enemies. Drawing the components of, creating, and throwing a bomb requires a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Thrown bombs have a range of 20 feet and use the Throw Splash Weapon special attack. Bombs are considered weapons and can be selected using feats such as Point-
The damage of a chemist’s bomb increases by 1d6 points at every odd-
Chemists can learn new types of bombs as discoveries (see the Discovery ability) as they level up. A chemist’s bomb, like an extract, becomes inert if used or carried by anyone else.
Craft Alchemical Item (Ex)
At 1st level, chemists receive Craft Alchemical Item as a bonus feat. The chemist does not need to meet the prerequisites for this feat. The chemist uses his chemist level as his caster level.
Throw Anything (Ex)
All chemists gain the Throw Anything feat as a bonus feat at 1st level. A chemist adds his Intelligence modifier to damage done with Throw Splash Weapon, including the splash damage if any. This bonus damage is already included in the bomb class feature.
Throw Alchemical Item (Ex)
Starting at 2nd level, a chemist can Throw Alchemical Items to allies within 15 feet. This improves by an additional 15 feet for every four levels afterwards to a maximum of 60 feet. The chemist must hit an AC of 10 (+/-
At 2nd level, and then again every two chemist levels thereafter (up to 18th level), a chemist makes an incredible alchemical discovery. Unless otherwise noted, a chemist cannot select an individual discovery more than once. Some discoveries can only be made if the chemist has met certain prerequisites first, such as uncovering other discoveries. Discoveries that modify bombs that are marked with an asterisk (*) do not stack. Only one such discovery can be applied to an individual bomb. The DC of any saving throw called for by a discovery is equal to 10 + half of the chemist’s level + his Intelligence modifier.
- A complete list of discoveries can be found here: Discoveries
Swift Alchemy (Ex)
At 3rd level, a chemist can create alchemical items with astounding speed. It takes a chemist half the normal amount of time to create alchemical items
Alchemical Mixture (Ex)
At 4th level, a chemist can make a temporary alchemical item. As a standard action, a chemist can create an alchemical item from the tier 1 list from the alchemical item list at no cost. An alchemical item created this way only lasts for 1 round per chemist level before it loses all potency. The chemist can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Intelligence modifier. At 11th level, a chemist can create an alchemical item from the tier 2 list. At 18th level, a chemist can create an alchemical item from the tier 3 list.
At 5th level, a chemist learns how to supplement uses of the Heal skill with pain-
Improved Quaff Potion (Ex)
At 7th level, the chemist can drink potions quickly. He can drink a potion as a move action instead of a standard action. The limitation to drinking potions increases by 1.
At 9th level, as a full-
At 11th level, the chemist can take an immediate action when hit by a melee attack or ranged attack to drink a potion. He must have a free hand to use this ability but does not provoke an attack of opportunity. He can only use this ability once a round.
Quaff Potion Mastery (Ex)
At 13th level, the chemist’s ability to drink potions becomes legendary. He can drink a potion as a swift action instead of a move action. The chemist also doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity from drinking a potion. The limitation to drinking potions increases by 1.
Defensive Bombing (Ex)
At 15th level, the chemist becomes adept at throwing bombs that he no longer provokes attacks of opportunity when throwing bombs.
Item Lore (Ex)
At 17th level, the chemist’s knowledge of medicines allows him to double the potency of alchemical items. Any alchemical items created by the chemist doubles all variables.
Instant Alchemy (Ex)
At 19th level, a chemist can create alchemical items with almost supernatural speed. He can create any alchemical item as a full-
Grand Discovery (Su)
At 20th level, the chemist makes a grand discovery. He immediately learns two normal discoveries, but also learns a third discovery chosen from the linked list below, representing a truly astounding alchemical breakthrough of significant import. For many chemists, the promise of one of these grand discoveries is the primary goal of their experiments and hard work.
- Awakened Intellect: The chemist’s constant exposure to strange chemicals has expanded his mind. His Intelligence score permanently increases by 2 points.
- Eternal Youth: The chemist has discovered a cure for aging, and from this point forward he takes no penalty to his physical ability scores from advanced age. If the chemist is already taking such penalties, they are removed at this time.
- Fast Healing: The chemist’s flesh responds to damage with shocking speed—he gains fast healing 5.
- Poison Touch: The chemist gains a poisonous touch, as if under the effects of a poison spell. He can suppress or activate this ability as a free action. The physical appearance of how the chemist generates and delivers his poisonous touch varies from chemist to chemist.
Favored Class Bonuses
Instead of receiving an additional skill rank or hit point whenever they gain a level in a favored class, some races have the option of choosing from a number of other bonuses, depending upon their favored classes. The following options are available to the listed race who have chemist as their favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the listed favored class reward.
- Al Bhed: Add +1/4 to the chemist’s damage rolls with thrown weapons.
- Burmecian: The chemist gains +1/6 of a new discovery.
- Dwarf: Add +1 foot to the range increment of the chemist’s thrown splash weapons (including the chemist’s bombs). This option has no effect unless the chemist has selected it 5 times (or another increment of 5); a range increment of 24 feet is effectively the same as a range increment of 20 feet, for example.
- Elvaan: Add +1/2 to the number of bombs per day the chemist can create.
- Galka: Add +1/2 to bomb damage.
- Hume: Add +1/4 to the chemist’s damage rolls with thrown weapons.
- Mithra: The chemist gains +1/6 of a new discovery.
- Moogle: Add +1 foot to the range increment of the chemist’s thrown splash weapons (including the chemist’s bombs). This option has no effect unless the chemist has selected it 5 times (or another increment of 5); a range increment of 24 feet is effectively the same as a range increment of 20 feet, for example.
- Qu: Add +1 foot to the range increment of the chemist’s thrown splash weapons (including the chemist’s bombs). This option has no effect unless the chemist has selected it 5 times (or another increment of 5); a range increment of 24 feet is effectively the same as a range increment of 20 feet, for example.
- Seeq: Add +1/2 to the chemist’s bomb damage.
- Shindroid: Add +1/2 to bomb damage.
- Tarutaru: Add +1/2 to the number of bombs per day the chemist can create.
- A complete list of chemist archetypes can be found here: Chemist Archetypes