These powerful defenders protect their allies from harm, standing strong against devastating blows with expert training and fierce determination. Enemies can’t kill them and usually can’t survive them.
The foebreaker is an archetype of the knight class.
Stamina Pool (Ex)
At 2nd level, the foebreaker gains a reservoir of stamina that he can draw upon to fuel his talents that he gains below. This stamina pool has a number of points equal to 5 x his Constitution modifier (minimum 1) and this pool increases by 5 + his Constitution modifier per level thereafter. The pool refreshes once per day when the foebreaker rests for a full 8 hours. Sustained modes take up a static amount of stamina points from the foebreaker’s current and maximum stamina pool and most sustained modes stack. If the character has a stamina pool from another class, he then only increases his stamina pool by 5 + his Constitution modifier per level instead.
By spending 5 stamina points, the foebreaker can do one of the following:
- Increase his speed by 10 feet for 1 round, or
- Delay and suppress his fatigue or exhaustion for 1 round, or
- Increase one saving throw by +1 for 1 round.
Each of these powers is activated as a swift action.
This ability replaces stand firm.
Talent Trees (Su)
The foebreaker gets access to one talent tree from the sword saint class of his choosing and the champion talent tree from below. At 2nd level and every two levels thereafter, the foebreaker may choose to learn one talent from the talent tree below, from the other talent tree chosen, or a knight talent taken from the knight’s talent list. Weapon Requirement: Any melee weapons.
Champion Specialization Talent Tree
- Line in the Sand: As a swift action, the foebreaker may activate this talent as a sustained mode. While in this mode, the foebreaker gains the use of the Combat Reflexes feat and sets up a defensive perimeter around himself to defend his allies, increasing his threatened area by 5 ft. for every 5 knight levels he possesses. He may make attacks of opportunity against any opponent in this threatened area that provokes attacks of opportunity. He may move as part of these attacks of opportunity, provided his total movement before his next turn does not exceed his speed (his movement provokes attacks of opportunity as normal). Additionally, while in this mode, the foebreaker adds his Charisma modifier plus his knight level to her CMD for the purposes of defending against enemies trying to use the Acrobatics skill to prevent him from getting attacks of opportunity against them. The foebreaker cannot use Defensive Stance with this mode. This mode uses up 20 stamina points of the foebreaker’s current and maximum stamina pool.
- And No Further: Line in the Sand now causes the ground within his melee reach to be treated as if it were difficult terrain, hampering his foes’ movement around him. If a foe tries to move through a space within his reach, the movement through those squares costs double (x2). Additionally, when making an attack of opportunity, his movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Prerequisite: Line in the Sand
- Bulwark: At a cost of 10 stamina points, as a swift action, the foebreaker can boost himself with temporary hit points equal to his knight level + his Charisma modifier for a duration of 1 round per knight level.
- Resilience: At a cost of 10 stamina points, as a swift or immediate action, the foebreaker can cause successful attacks on himself to stagger enemies. Until the foebreaker’s next turn, any successful melee attacks on the foebreaker causes the enemy to become staggered for one round unless they make a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of the knight’s level + his Charisma modifier). Prerequisite: Line in the Sand
- Counterstrike: At a cost of 10 stamina points, as a swift or immediate action, the foebreaker can counterattack against any foes that strike him. Until the foebreaker’s next turn, any successful melee attacks on the foebreaker allows him to make attacks of opportunity. A helpless foebreaker (such as one who is unconscious or paralyzed) does not gain the benefit of this talent, nor can he use this ability when flat-footed. Prerequisites: Line in the Sand, Resilience
- Adamant: As long as the foebreaker has at least 1 stamina point in his stamina pool, he gains an enhancement bonus to saving throws equal to his Charisma modifier. Prerequisites: Line in the Sand, Resilience
- Unyielding: As long as the foebreaker has at least 1 stamina point in his stamina pool, once per round, if he would drop below 0 hit points, he is instead at 1 hit point, then healed for a number of hit points equal to half his knight level + his Charisma modifier. Prerequisites: Line in the Sand, Resilience, Adamant
- Walking Fortress: At a cost of 30 stamina points, as a swift or immediate action, the foebreaker becomes immune to damage. Until the foebreaker’s next turn, he becomes immune to all damage, but is unable to take any actions. Prerequisites: Line in the Sand, Resilience, Adamant, Unyielding
- To The Death: At a cost of 10 stamina points, as a swift action, the foebreaker taunts his enemy into a rage. The foebreaker chooses an adjacent target, who must make a Will save (DC 10 + half of the knight’s level + his Charisma modifier) or is inflicted with the berserk status effect and must attack the foebreaker for a number of rounds equal to the foebreaker’s Charisma modifier. In addition, while the target has the berserk status, the target takes additional damage from any successful melee attacks on him equal to 1d6 + the foebreaker’s Charisma modifier.
- Who’s Next?: As long as the foebreaker has at least 1 stamina point in his stamina pool, if the target of To The Death falls unconscious or dies, he deals additional damage on any successful melee attacks equal to 1d6 + his Charisma modifier until the end of his next turn. Prerequisite: To The Death
These abilities may replace knight talents.