The elite guard and the chief arbiters and enforcers of Imperial law in the Lands of Ivalice. They are feared for their ability to bring in lawbreakers easily. Their unique armor, a badge of office, makes them intimidating to everyone. They excel at knocking down foes while fearlessly standing their ground.
The judge magister is an archetype of the knight class.
Badge of Office
A judge magister’s official badge of office is a suit of judgment armor (see below). It is tailor-fitted for the judge magister. If at any time the judge magister stops being a judge magister, he is to turn in his badge of office or be hunted down.
Judgment Armor: Type (Heavy), Armor Bonus +8, Damage Reduction 1/-, Max Dex Bonus +1, Armor Penalty -5. The judgment armor also provides the following benefits: +2 circumstance bonus to Strength, +10 feet base land speed, and +1 equipment bonus on Attack Rolls.
Starting at 1st level, a judge magister can pronounce judgment upon his foes as a swift action. Starting when the judgment is made, the judge magister receives a bonus or special ability based on the type of judgment made.
At 1st level, a judge magister can use this ability once per day. At 4th level and every three knight levels thereafter, the judge magister can use this ability one additional time per day. Once activated, this ability lasts until the combat ends, at which point all of the bonuses immediately end. The judge magister must participate in the combat to gain these bonuses. If he is frightened, panicked, paralyzed, stunned, unconscious, or otherwise prevented from participating in the combat, the ability does not end, but the bonuses do not resume until he can participate in the combat again.
When the judge magister uses this ability, he must select one type of judgment to make. As a swift action, he can change this judgment to another type.
- Destruction: The judge magister is filled with holy wrath, gaining a +1 sacred bonus on all weapon damage rolls. This bonus increases by +1 for every three knight levels he possesses.
- Healing: The judge magister is surrounded by a healing light, gaining fast healing 1. This causes the judge magister to heal 1 point of damage each round as long as the judge magister is alive and the judgment lasts. The amount of healing increases by 1 point for every three knight levels he possesses.
- Justice: This judgment spurs the judge magister to seek justice, granting a +1 sacred bonus on all attack rolls. This bonus increases by +1 for every three knight levels he possesses. At 10th level, this bonus is doubled on all attack rolls made to confirm critical hits.
- Protection: The judge magister is surrounded by a protective aura, granting a +1 sacred bonus to Armor Class. This bonus increases by +1 for every three knight levels he possesses. At 10th level, this bonus is doubled against attack rolls made to confirm critical hits against the judge magister.
- Purity: The judge magister is protected from the vile taint of his foes, gaining a +1 sacred bonus on all saving throws. This bonus increases by +1 for every three knight levels he possesses. At 10th level, the bonus is doubled against curses, diseases, and poisons.
- Resiliency: This judgment makes the judge magister resistant to harm, granting DR 1/-. This DR increases by 1 for every three knight levels he possesses. At 10th level, this DR doubles against enemies with a chaotic alignment. This damage reduction stacks with all other damage reduction the judge magister may have.
- Resistance: The judge magister is shielded by a flickering aura, gaining 2 points of elemental resistance against one elemental type (earth, fire, ice, lightning, water, or wind) chosen when the judgment is declared. The protection increases by 2 for every three knight levels he possesses.
- Smiting: This judgment bathes the judge magister’s weapons in a holy light. The judge magister’s weapons deals an additional 1d6 points of holy damage. This bonus increases by 1d6 for every three knight levels he possesses. At 10th level, the judge magister’s weapons deals double damage against undead while under this judgment.
This ability replaces defensive stance.
Stern Gaze (Ex)
Also at 1st level, the judge magister is skilled at sensing deception and intimidating his foes. A judge magister receives a morale bonus on all Intimidate and Sense Motive checks equal to half his knight level.
This ability replaces defend ally.
The judge magister loses access to the following knight talents: Fearless Defense, Immobile, Increased Damage Reduction, Internal Fortitude, Last Word, Mighty Resilience, Renewed Defense, Roused Defense, Smash, Tempered Will, Unexpected Strike, and Vigilant Knight.
Always Wary (Ex)
At 2nd level, a judge magister is always ready for betrayal and subterfuge. Whenever he attempts a Sense Motive check to avoid being surprised by a foe using Bluff to conceal the attack, the judge magister can always act during the surprise round, regardless of the result of the check. In addition, he adds his Charisma modifier (in addition to his Dexterity modifier) to his initiative checks during any such encounter.
This ability replaces shield training.
At 3rd level, the judge magister is a person of few words on the battlefield, but those words hold great power and authority. Once per day, he can use this ability to create one of the following effects as an immediate action.
- Aggression: The judge magister may reroll an attack roll that he just made before the results of the roll are revealed. He must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll.
- Defense: When the judge magister would be hit by a melee or ranged attack, he may add a +4 insight bonus to his Armor Class against that attack, and if this makes the judge magister’s AC higher than the opponent’s attack roll, the attack misses.
- Warning: When a judge magister’s ally within line of sight would be hit by a melee or ranged attack, he may call out a warning to that ally, and the attacker must reroll the attack and use the results of the second roll. The ally must be able to hear the judge magister and must not be helpless for this ability to have any effect.
A judge magister can use this ability once more per day for every three knight levels after 3rd (at 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level); up to seven times per day at 18th level.
This ability replaces shield block.
Judge’s Might (Ex)
At 4th level, the judge magister can temporarily increase his Strength but at a penalty to Armor Class. The judge magister gains a +6 morale bonus to Strength, but takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. Activating judge’s might is a free action, and it lasts for a number of rounds equal to his knight level. At the end of the judge’s might ability, the judge magister is fatigued for 1 minute. The judge magister can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Constitution modifier.
This ability replaces bulwark.
Heavy Weaponry (Ex)
At 5th level, a judge magister treats all weapons as one size category smaller for purposes of determining whether or not he can wield them in one hand and if they are considered light weapons.
This ability replaces deft shield.
At 8th level and beyond, whenever the judge magister is allowed to apply his Strength modifier to damage, he makes a trip combat maneuver against the opponent. The judge magister makes a trip combat maneuver with a +4 bonus against the opponent’s CMD. If the judge magister beats the opponent’s CMD, the opponent is tripped. The benefit of this ability does not stack with the benefit of the Improved Trip feat.
This ability replaces shield buffet.
Second Judgment (Ex)
At 11th level, whenever a judge magister uses his judgment ability, he selects two different judgments, instead of one. This only consumes one use of his judgment ability. As a swift action, he can change one of these judgments to another type.
This ability replaces improved defensive stance.
Exploit Weakness (Ex)
At 15th level, the judge magister learns to take advantage of any opportunity that presents itself. Whenever the judge magister scores a critical hit, he ignores any damage reduction the target might have. In addition, if the target has regeneration, the creature loses regeneration on the round following the critical hit and can die normally during that round. Creatures whose regeneration always functions are immune to this ability. Finally, if the judge magister deals elemental damage to a creature with vulnerability to that energy type, he deals +1 point of damage per die rolled.
This ability replaces steel defense.
Third Judgment (Ex)
At 17th level, whenever a judge magister uses his judgment ability, he selects three different judgments, instead of just two. This only consumes one use of his judgment ability. As a swift action, the judge magister can change one of these judgments to another type.
This ability replaces tireless stance.
Frightful Presence (Ex)
At 19th level, the judge magister’s reputation precedes himself, bringing about him a frightful presence. Creatures within a radius of 30 feet are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the judge magister. A potentially effected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + half of the knight’s level + his Charisma modifier) remains immune to that judge magister’s frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failed save, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. The judge magister may freely turn this ability off or on as a free action.
This ability replaces shield ward.
True Judgment (Su)
At 20th level, a judge magister can call true judgment down upon a foe during combat. Whenever a judge magister uses his judgment ability, the judge magister can invoke true judgment on a foe as a swift action. Once declared, the judge magister can make a single melee (or ranged attack, if the foe is within 30 feet) against the target. If the attack hits, it deals damage normally and the target must make a Fortitude save or die. The DC of this save is equal to 20 + his Charisma modifier. Regardless of whether or not the save is made, the target creature is immune to the judge magister’s true judgment ability for 24 hours. Once this ability has been used, it cannot be used again for 1d4 rounds.
This ability replaces superior defensive stance.