Nightshades are fast and deadly, their blades slicing through enemies’ defenses—and throats—before they have time to react.
The nightshade is an archetype of the ninja class.
Stamina Pools (Ex)
At 2nd level, the nightshade gains a reservoir of stamina that he can draw upon to fuel his talents that he gains below. This stamina pool has a number of points equal to 5 x his Constitution modifier and this pool increases by 5 + his Constitution modifier per level. The pool refreshes once per day when the nightshade rests for a full 8 hours. Sustained modes take up a static amount of stamina points from the nightshade’s current and maximum stamina pool and most sustained modes stack. If the character has a stamina pool from another class, he then only increases his stamina pool by 5 + his Constitution modifier per level instead.
Talent Trees (Su)
The nightshade gets access to the dual weapon and double blades talent trees from below. At 2nd level and every two levels thereafter, the nightshade may choose to learn one talent or a ninja trick taken from the ninja’s trick list.
Dual Weapon Specialization Talent Tree
- Dual-Weapon Finesse: When dual-wielding light weapons, the nightshade gains the benefit of the Weapon Finesse feat. In addition, while dual-wielding light weapons, he adds his Dexterity modifier instead of his Strength modifier to the damage roll. If any effect would prevent the nightshade from adding his Strength modifier to the damage roll, he does not add his Dexterity modifier.
- Dual-Weapon Expert: When dual-wielding light weapons, the penalties for any Two-Weapon Fighting feats are lessen by 1. In addition, successful attacks deal bleed damage equal to the nightshade’s Wisdom modifier. Prerequisite: Dual-Weapon Finesse.
- Dual Striking: As a swift action, the nightshade may activate this talent as a sustained mode. The nightshade doubles the amount of attacks he can do in a round while in this sustained mode. He cannot make critical hits or precision-based attacks (such as sneak attack), and Strength modifiers are halved (rounded down). This mode uses up 20 stamina points of the nightshade’s current and maximum stamina pool. Prerequisites: Dual-Weapon Finesse, Dual-Weapon Expert
- Flurry: At a cost of 10 stamina points, as a full-attack action, the nightshade can make one additional melee attack at his highest base attack bonus, but all such attacks receive a –2 penalty. This additional melee attack stacks with the bonus attacks from haste and other similar effects.
- Dual-Weapon Sweep: At a cost of 15 stamina points, as a standard action, the nightshade swings both of his weapons at his target, and hitting adjacent enemies within reach as well. The nightshade makes two attack rolls at each opponent that is within reach of the main target. Prerequisite: Flurry
- Whirlwind: At a cost of 20 stamina points, as a full-round action, the nightshade can strike all enemies adjacent to him with both of his weapons. The nightshade makes two attack rolls against every enemy adjacent to him. Can be used with Dual Striking. Prerequisites: Dual-Weapon Sweep, Flurry
- Twin Strikes: At a cost of 10 stamina points, as a standard action, the nightshade strikes at his opponent with both of his weapons, inflicting pain. The nightshade makes two attack rolls against his target. If successful, he deals double weapon damage with each attack.
- Low Blow: Twin Strikes also inflicts immobilized status unless the target makes a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of the ninja’s level + his Wisdom modifier) for 1 round. Prerequisite: Twin Strikes
- Find Vitals: Twin Strikes now deals triple weapon damage with each attack and the critical hit range using Twin Strikes are increased by 2. This stacks with Improved Critical and similar abilities, but is calculated after all other modifiers. Prerequisites: Twin Strikes, Low Blow
- Unending Flurry: At a cost of 20 stamina points, the nightshade doubles his amount of attacks in the round against one target. If the target is affected by immobilize from Low Blow, all attacks gain a bonus equal to the nightshade’s Wisdom modifier. Cannot be used in conjunction with Dual Striking. Prerequisites: Twin Strikes, Low Blow, Find Vitals
Double Blades Specialization Talent Tree
- Flank Attack: At a cost of 15 stamina points, as a standard action, the nightshade jumps through the shadows and reappears behind a target within 30 feet. The nightshade makes a single attack with both weapons at his highest base attack bonus. The target is considered to be flat-footed to this attack.
- Bleeding Flanks: Flank Attack now deals bleed damage per round equal to the number of sneak attack dice used (if any) in the attack. Prerequisite: Flank Attack
- Skirmisher: After using Flank Attack, the nightshade may make an immediate Stealth check to become hidden. Prerequisites: Flank Attack, Bleeding Flanks
- Bloodied Prey: Wounded enemies allow the nightshade to do an extra 1d6 damage on successful attacks. Prerequisite: Flank Attack
- Parry: At a cost of 20 stamina points, as an immediate action, the nightshade can negate a melee attack by rolling an opposed attack roll, DC = the opponent’s attack roll. He must have a melee weapon in hand, and he must be aware of his foe and not flat-footed.
- Riposte: Parry now allows the nightshade to make a counterattack. If successful in parrying an attack, he can make a single attack at his highest base attack bonus against the enemy that he parried. Prerequisite: Parry
- Effortless Riposte: If Parry was successful in parrying an attack, the stamina cost is reduced by half. Prerequisites: Parry, Riposte
- Dance of Death: Each time the nightshade fells an enemy, the thrill of victory restores a larger than normal portion of the nightshade’s stamina. The nightshade gains 5 stamina points for every enemy death. Prerequisites: Flank Attack, Bloodied Prey
- Unforgiving Chain: As a swift action, the nightshade may activate this talent as a sustained mode. Each successful attack now increases critical hit range by 1 until a critical hit is rolled, then it resets. This mode uses up 20 stamina points of the nightshade’s current and maximum stamina pool. Prerequisites: Flank Attack, Bloodied Prey, Dance of Death
- Sneaky Attacks: When a nightshade makes sneak attacks against enemies, the critical hit range of his weapons are increased by 2. This stacks with Improved Critical and similar abilities, but is calculated after all other modifiers. Prerequisites: Flank Attack, Dance of Death, Bloodied Prey, Unforgiving Chain