|Masters of wielding death, Onyx Magisters grasps higher learning for his magical prowess with his spells. Onyx Magisters are the highest practitioners of the black magic arts, wielding magic with the highest proficiency.|
|Hit Die: d6|
To qualify to become an onyx magister, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Feats: Any 3 metamagic feats.
Spells: Able to cast 7th-level black magic spells.
The onyx magister’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Knowledge (any) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
|Skill Points Per Level: 2 + Int modifier|
Table: Onyx Magister
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special|
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+1||Dark Mastery, Limit Break|
|2nd||+1||+1||+1||+1||Black Wizardry, +1 level to existing spell-casting class|
|3rd||+1||+1||+1||+2||Enfeebling Mastery, +1 level to existing spell-casting class|
|4th||+2||+1||+1||+2||Black Wizardry, +1 level to existing spell-casting class|
|5th||+2||+2||+2||+3||Elemental Mastery, +1 level to existing spell-casting class|
All of the following are class features of the onyx magister prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Onyx Magisters gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
MP per Day / Spells Known
At each level except 1st, an onyx magister gains MP per day and spells known as if he had also gained a level in a spell-casting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of this class would have gained. If he had more than one spell-casting class before becoming an onyx magister, he must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining MP per day and spells known.
Limit Break (Su)
At 1st level, the onyx magister receives the Limit Break (Metamagic Mastery).
Metamagic Mastery (Su): This Limit Break allows the onyx magister to be able to use any Metamagic feats he possesses without spending the extra MP or increasing the level of the spell for a duration of 1 round per onyx magister level.
Dark Mastery (Ex)
At 1st level, any dark spells that the onyx magister casts that hits an opponent can obscure its vision. If the subject fails a Will save (DC 10 + the onyx magister’s level + his Intelligence modifier), it treats all other creatures and objects as though they had concealment and takes a -5 penalty on Perception checks for 1 round. As a secondary benefit, the onyx magister gains a +1 competence bonus to his caster level when casting dark spells.
Black Wizardry (Ex)
At 2nd and 4th level, an onyx magister increases his power with his spells. At each such opportunity, he can choose from the list of the following (with a maximum of 2 per):
- Improved Spell Mastery: This increases the DC for all of the onyx magister’s spells by 2.
- Improved Elemental Penetration: This allows the onyx magister to ignore 5 points of elemental resistance.
- Improved Spell Penetration: This increases the onyx magister’s caster level checks by 2 made to overcome a creature’s spell resistance. This stacks with the Spell Penetration feat.
Enfeebling Mastery (Ex)
At 3rd level, any enfeebling spells that the onyx magister casts that hits an opponent can cause the subject to become sickened for a number of rounds equal to the level of the enfeebling spell he casts. The subject can reduce this duration to 1 round with a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + the onyx magister’s level + his Intelligence modifier). As a secondary benefit, the onyx magister gains a +1 competence bonus to his caster level when casting enfeebling spells.
Elemental Mastery (Ex)
At 5th level, any elemental spells that the onyx magister casts that hits an opponent can cause additional effects (see below). As a secondary benefit, the onyx magister gains a +1 competence bonus to his caster level when casting elemental spells.
- Elemental (Earth): An opponent struck by an Elemental (Earth) spell can reduce the speed of any land-bound creature. The creature must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + the onyx magister’s level + Intelligence modifier). If it fails, the creature’s normal land speed, as well as its burrow and climb speeds, decreases by 5 feet per level of the Elemental (Earth) spell to a minimum speed of 5 feet. This effect lasts for 1 round. Creatures currently swimming or flying are immune to this effect.
- Elemental (Fire): An opponent struck by an Elemental (Fire) spell causes the opponent to be dazzled for 1 round. Blind creatures or creatures immune to Blind status effects are immune to this effect.
- Elemental (Ice): An opponent struck by an Elemental (Ice) spell causes the square it’s in to be slick with ice. Creatures must make a successful Reflex save (DC 10 + the onyx magister’s level + his Intelligence modifier) or fall. This save is repeated on each round that the creature remains within the area. A creature can walk within or through the area of ice at half normal speed with a DC 10 Acrobatics check. Failure means it can’t move that round (and must then make a Reflex save or fall), while failure by 5 or more means it falls. The ice melts away in 3 rounds.
- Elemental (Lightning): An opponent struck by an Elemental (Lightning) spell causes the opponent to be deafened for 1 round, no save.
- Elemental (Water): An opponent struck by an Elemental (Water) spell causes a small portion of the air in a living creature’s lungs to transform into water, making it difficult for the creature to breathe. The target becomes exhausted for 1 round; if it succeeds on a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the onyx magister’s level + his Intelligence modifier), it is instead fatigued for 1 round. Creatures that can breathe water (or who don’t breathe) are immune to this effect.
- Elemental (Wind): An opponent struck by an Elemental (Wind) spell has a chance to be knocked back 5 feet. This functions much like a bull rush; the onyx magister makes a bull rush combat maneuver (using his caster level + his Intelligence modifier in place of CMB) + the level of the Elemental (Wind) spell against the opponent’s CMD. If he succeeds, he pushes the creature back 5 feet.