SOLDIER is the elite fighting force of Shinra Electric Power Company. Its members are advanced super-soldiers with superhuman strength, speed, and agility. Much stronger than the Shinra Peacekeeping Troops and the Turks, Shinra uses SOLDIER for special missions that require the greatest use of strength.
Hit Die: d10.
To qualify to become a soldier, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +6.
Skills: Acrobatics 4 ranks.
Special: Must work for Shinra.
The soldier‘s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Perform (Cha), Perception (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special|
|1st||+1||+1||+1||+0||Giant Weapon Wielder (+1), Voice of Authority, Soldier Modes, Limit Break|
|2nd||+2||+1||+1||+1||Inspiring Command (+1), Evade Reach|
|3rd||+3||+2||+2||+1||Soldier (3rd Rank) Tech, Giant Weapon Wielder (+2)|
|4th||+4||+2||+2||+1||Inspiring Command (+2). Mako Power, Inspire Greatness|
|5th||+5||+3||+3||+2||Soldier (3rd Rank) Tech, Incredible Heft, Giant Weapon Wielder (+3)|
|6th||+6||+3||+3||+2||Inspiring Command (+3). Soldier (2nd Rank) Tech|
|7th||+7||+4||+4||+2||Mako Perfection, Giant Weapon Wielder (+4)|
|8th||+8||+4||+4||+3||Inspiring Command (+4). Soldier (2nd Rank) Tech, Persistent Commands|
|9th||+9||+5||+5||+3||Soldier (1st Rank) Tech, Inspire Last Stand, Giant Weapon Wielder (+5)|
|10th||+10||+5||+5||+3||Inspiring Command (+5). Greater Mako Power, Complex Commands|
All of the following are class features of the soldier prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A soldier is proficient with all simple weapons and an exotic or martial two-handed melee weapon of his choice. Soldiers are also proficient with light armor, but no shields.
Limit Break (Su)
At 1st level, the soldier receives the Limit Break (Blade Beam).
Blade Beam (Su): This Limit Break allows the soldier to make waves of powerful energy burst forth out of his weapon and collide with an enemy up to 60 feet away that deals 5d6 points of non-elemental damage + an additional 2d6 per two soldier levels after 1st. which then explodes out in a cone for an additional 30 feet for half damage. A Reflex save (DC 10 + soldier‘s level + his Constitution modifier) halves this damage.
Soldier Modes (Ex)
At 1st level, a soldier can enter one of the two stances, as a swift action. If a soldier falls unconscious, his soldier mode immediately ends.
- Punisher Mode (Ex): In punisher mode, the soldier moves more slowly, but unleashes a more powerful attack than usual. In this mode, the soldier reduces his movement speed by 5 feet but adds 1d6 points of damage to his melee attacks. At 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level, this further reduces speed by 5 feet and increases melee damage by 1d6 points of damage. In addition, when the soldier takes the total defense action, until the start of his next turn, any time an opponent hits him with a melee attack, they provoke an attack of opportunity from the soldier. This extra damage is not multiplied upon a critical hit.
- Operator Mode (Ex): In operator mode, the soldier strikes the perfect balance between attack and defense, and moves more quickly than in punisher mode. While in this mode, the soldier increases his movement speed by 5 feet and adds a +2 dodge bonus to AC. At 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level, this further increases speed by 5 feet and the dodge bonus to AC by 2. In addition, the soldier gains an additional +4 dodge bonus to AC to avoid attacks of opportunity.
Giant Weapon Wielder (Ex)
At 1st level, a soldier can wield two-handed melee weapons intended for creatures one size category larger than himself, treating them as two-handed weapons. He takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls when using an over-sized two-handed weapon. In addition, a soldier gains a +1 bonus on combat maneuver checks and to CMD while wielding a weapon sized for a creature of a larger size category.
At 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level, this bonus increases by 1. When wielding over-sized weapons, the soldier can attempt to bull rush, drag, overrun, reposition, and trip creatures up to two sizes categories larger than himself.
Voice of Authority (Ex)
A soldier is skilled at shouting commands over the din of the battlefield and signaling allies when speech is impossible. He gains a +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidate checks with creatures with which he shares a language. In addition, his allies gain a bonus equal to the soldier’s class level on Perception or Sense Motive checks to hear his commands or interpret his secret messages conveyed with Bluff.
Evade Reach (Ex)
At 2nd level, as a swift action, a soldier may choose one creature within his line of sight. Until the end of his turn, that target’s reach is treated as if it were 5 feet shorter (to a minimum of 5 feet) with respect to reaching the soldier, and this reduction increases by 5 feet for every two soldier levels beyond 2nd.
Inspiring Command (Ex)
A soldier uses his keen tactical acumen and decisive judgment to lead others to victory, as well as his mastery of command to assist himself and his allies in battle. All soldiers may use inspiring command to inspire courage (as the bardic performance ability); bard and soldier levels stack to determine the bonuses provided by inspire courage.
At 2nd level, and every two levels thereafter, the soldier chooses one command to learn. Unless otherwise noted, these abilities provide a competence bonus equal to the soldier’s inspiring command bonus to him and to all allies within 60 feet able to see or hear him. Commands marked with an asterisk have the same range as above but only affect a certain number of allies (which can include the soldier).
Issuing an inspiring command is a move action. At 5th level, this becomes a swift action, and at 10th level, it becomes an immediate action. Maintaining an inspiring command is a free action that cannot be disrupted, but its effects end immediately if the soldier is killed or otherwise prevented from taking actions (such as being dazed, helpless, or stunned). The soldier cannot have more than one command in effect at a time. He may use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + his Charisma modifier, plus 2 additional rounds per level after 1st. He may use rounds of bardic performance to issue inspiring commands, but not vice versa. Inspiring commands are language-dependent, mind-affecting effects. The soldier cannot maintain an inspiring command and a bardic performance at the same time (this does not preclude abilities such as the Lingering Performance feat, which continue an inspiring command or bardic performance after the soldier stops maintaining it).
- Battle Magic*: One ally gains a bonus on caster level checks and concentration checks equal to the soldier’s command bonus.
- Inspire Hardiness: Allies gain DR/— equal to the soldier’s inspiring command bonus.
- Inspired Tactics: Allies apply the soldier’s inspiring command bonus on critical hit confirmation rolls, on combat maneuver checks, and as a dodge bonus to AC against any attacks of opportunity provoked by combat maneuvers.
- Keep Your Heads: Allies apply the soldier’s inspiring command bonus on Will saves and concentration checks.
- None Shall Fall*: A number of allies equal to the soldier’s inspiring command bonus heal 1d6 points of damage. Targeted allies who are poisoned may attempt a new poison saving throw with a bonus equal to the soldier’s inspiring command bonus; a failed save has no additional effect, but a successful save counts toward curing the poison. This healing is not positive energy and can heal undead creatures.
- Pincer Maneuver: Allies apply the soldier’s inspiring command bonus to attack and damage rolls when flanking and as a dodge bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity provoked by movement (including standing from prone).
- Rally: Allies affected by a fear effect may attempt a new saving throw against each fear effect on them; this new save has a bonus equal to the soldier’s inspiring command bonus.
- Reveille: Allies affected by exhaustion, fatigue, or sleep effects may attempt a new saving throw against each such effect; this new save has a bonus equal to the soldier’s inspiring command bonus. Allies who are sleeping normally automatically awaken when this ability is used.
- Scatter*: A number of allies equal to the soldier’s inspiring command bonus gain the benefits of the Wind Stance feat.
- Shake It Off*: One ally subject to an ongoing condition may attempt a new saving throw to negate the effects with a bonus equal to the soldier’s inspiring command bonus. This ability does not help against instantaneous effects, effects that require recurring saving throws to avoid additional penalties (such as diseases and poisons), or effects that do not allow a saving throw.
- Sound the Charge: Allies apply the soldier’s inspiring command bonus to attack and damage rolls. Charging allies increase their speed by 5 feet times the soldier’s inspiring command bonus.
- Sound the Retreat: Allies gain the benefit of the Lightning Stance feat. The soldier must have the scatter ability to select this ability.
- Stand Firm: Allies apply the soldier’s inspiring command bonus to CMD and on Fortitude saves.
- Teamwork: Allies add the soldier’s inspiring command bonus on skill checks or attack rolls made when using the aid another action, and if successful, the assisted ally increases the aid another bonus by an amount equal to the soldier’s inspiring command bonus.
- Tuck and Roll: Allies apply the soldier’s inspiring command bonus on Reflex saves and Acrobatics checks.
Soldier (3rd Rank) Techs (Su)
The soldier employs abilities using their mako power, often dealing high damage and weakening enemies. Starting at 3rd level and 5th level, the soldier gains a new soldier tech ability at the indicated level. The soldier may use any of the currently available soldier techs up to 3 + Constitution modifier times per day. This extra damage is not multiplied upon a critical hit.
Braver (Su): The soldier can make a running leap and slam his weapon down on the opponent. The soldier charges at an opponent and makes a single attack at his highest base attack bonus. If it hits, this attack deals an additional 1d6 points of damage per soldier level. In addition, the target must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + soldier’s level + his Constitution modifier), or is knocked prone.
Cross Slash (Su): The soldier uses this powerful skill to utilize two mako-infused sword slashes, and adds incredible force to immobilize and crush the target from both sides. The soldier makes two attacks at his highest base attack bonus +2, each adding +2d6 points of damage. If both attacks connect, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + soldier’s level + his Constitution modifier), or be immobilized for 1 round per soldier level.
Mako Power (Su)
At 4th level, a soldier can call upon the mako inside of him to grant himself a brief period of increased prowess by concentrating what areas of his body to enhance. As a swift action, the soldier can surround himself in a green aura that is brimming with the power of mako that grants him a +4 morale bonus to Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to his soldier level. He can also choose to split the bonus in increments of +2 to each of the attributes. The soldier can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 4 + his Constitution modifier.
Inspire Greatness (Ex)
At 4th level, a soldier may use her inspiring command ability to inspire greatness (as the 9th-level bardic performance ability). This ability affects one creature at 4th level, two at 7th, and three at 10th.
Incredible Heft (Ex)
At 5th level, a soldier becomes more skilled at wielding melee weapons intended for creatures one size category larger than himself. The penalty on attack rolls for using such weapons is reduced by 1, including when using over-sized two-handed melee weapons. At 10th level, this penalty is reduced by another 1.
Soldier (2nd Rank) Techs (Su)
The soldier employs abilities using their mako power, often dealing high damage and weakening enemies. Starting at 6th level and 8th level, the soldier gains a new soldier tech ability at the indicated level. The soldier may use any of the currently available soldier techs up to 3 + Constitution modifier times per day.
Climhazzard (Su): The soldier infuses his weapon with energy, and then swings it towards the enemy, creating a large explosion of power in a 20-foot radius. Enemies in the area of effect takes 1d6 points of non-elemental damage plus an additional 1d6 per soldier level unless they make a Reflex save (DC 10 + soldier’s level + his Constitution modifier) for half damage. This ability has a range of 100 feet.
Finishing Touch (Su): The soldier spins in a circle, slashing with a held weapon, and creates a cutting whirlwind all around their body in a 30-ft.-radius burst. Enemies in the area of effect take 1d10 points of wind damage plus an additional 1d10 per soldier level unless they make a Reflex save (DC 10 + soldier’s level + his Constitution modifier) for half damage.
Mako Perfection (Su)
At 7th level, a soldier can use the mako energy inside him to great effect. Whenever a soldier uses his mako power ability, he may also gain the effects of Haste, Protect III, and Shell III for the duration. However, choosing to use this ability leaves the soldier fatigued for a number of rounds equal to the number of rounds he spent using mako power.
Persistent Commands (Ex)
At 8th level, a soldier may allow his inspiring commands to persist even if he is incapacitated and unable to maintain them. If the player chooses, the effects of the soldier’s inspiring commands persist for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier (these count toward her number of rounds per day limit). This ability does not apply if the soldier intentionally stops maintaining an inspiring command—only if he is dazed, held, stunned, killed, and so on, and is unable to maintain them. If the soldier recovers from incapacity while an inspiring command is ongoing, he may resume maintaining it as a free action.
Inspire Last Stand (Ex)
At 9th level, a soldier may use inspiring command to grant himself and all allies within 30 feet the benefits of the Diehard feat. Conscious affected creatures also gain the benefits of inspire courage while at negative hit points.
Soldier (1st Rank) Techs (Su)
The soldier employs abilities using their mako power, often dealing high damage and weakening enemies. Starting at 9th level, the soldier gains a new soldier tech ability. The soldier may use any of the currently available soldier techs up to 3 + Constitution modifier times per day.
Meteorain (Su): The soldier calls on deep reserves of inner Mako energy, conjuring up four 10-ft.-radius flaming spheres and launches them down towards the ground, resembling a meteor shower. The soldier directs each of the spheres within 30 feet of each other. Enemies within the area of effect take 5d6 points of damage (half in fire damage, the other half in earth damage), a Reflex save (DC 10 + soldier’s level + his Constitution modifier) for half damage. Creatures hit with multiple meteors must make multiple Reflex saves. This ability has a range of 100 feet.
Complex Commands (Ex)
At 10th level, a soldier can have more than one command ability in effect at one time. Each must be begun separately and requires a separate maintenance cost. This allows the soldier to have more than one single-target command (such as battle magic) in effect at the same time. The effects of multiple instances of the same command ability do not stack, even if the bonuses provided by that ability would normally stack (for example, if the soldier maintains two pincer maneuver commands, his allies do not get double the bonus, even though dodge bonuses normally stack). The soldier can also maintain one bardic performance in addition to his inspiring commands, though each must be begun separately and each requires its own maintenance cost.
Greater Mako Power (Su)
At 10th level, a soldier’s ability to call upon the mako power is further enhanced, the morale bonus granted from the ability increases to +8.