The garif are a muscular race covered in thick brown hair. Abhorring machinery and material goods such as money, they live off the land, adorning themselves in simple, natural materials, such as leather, grass, wood and stone, and building their houses from the same materials.
They often stand with a slight stoop, possibly from the weight of their masks. The masks are a vital part of garif customs and all garif receive a mask on the day they are born, which they wear until they die and will not remove, lend or sell. The great-
Despite their intimidating appearance, the garif are a peace-
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Garif are hardy, philosophical folk, but slow to adapt, sometimes willfully so. They gain +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, and –
- Size: Garif are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Garif are Humanoid creatures with the garif subtype.
- Base Speed: Garif have a base speed of 30 feet on land.
- Languages: Garif begin play speaking Common and Garif. Garif with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Draconic, Dwarven, Elvaan, Galkan, Giant, Goblin, and Orc. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Masked: Garif wear masks in remembrance of their vows, of the commitment to peace that ended their warrior empire. A masked garif gains a +1 bonus to all saving throws.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Keen Senses: Garif receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
- Pastoralist: Garif spend their lives at common tasks. A garif receives one skill rank each level to place into one of the following skills: Craft (any), Knowledge (nature), Profession (any pastoral, e.g. farmer, herbalist, midwife, shepherd, etc.), or Survival. The chosen skill is a class skill.
Offense Racial Traits
- Weapon Familiarity: Garif are proficient with the longspear, shortspear, javelin, and boar spear.
Senses Racial Traits
light Vision: Garif can see twice as far as a hume in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Historian: True to their traditional ways, select garif become fonts of knowledge regarding their race’s history, to ensure the continuance of their traditions. A garif with this racial trait receives one skill rank each level in Knowledge (history), and Knowledge (history) is a class skill. This racial trait replaces pastoralist.
- Soldier: Though all garif tribes have been enjoying a game of bones. peaceful for eons, the role of warrior is in their blood. A garif with this racial trait receives on skill rank each level in Knowledge (dungeoneering) or Profession (soldier) (player’s choice), and the chosen skill is a class skill. This racial trait replaces pastoralist.
- Unmasked: Few garif ever voluntarily part with their mask, removing it only in private, and only for brief periods. However, a garif whose mask is stolen or destroyed, becomes an unmasked. Without their symbol of peace, an unmasked garif embraces their ancient warrior selves. Garif with this racial trait gain Diehard as a bonus feat. This racial trait replaces masked.
The following racial archetypes are available to garif:
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Archer: Add +1/3 to the archer’s bonus to damage using deadshot.
- Beastmaster: Add +1 to the beastmaster’s total number of rage rounds per day.
- Dragoon: Add +1/2 bonus to Acrobatic skill checks for jumping.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter’s CMD when resisting a disarm or sunder attempt.
- Holy Knight: Add +1/4 AC bonus against a foe you are targeting with smite evil.
- Monk: Add +1/4 point to the monk’s ki pool.
- Thief: Add +1/3 on critical hit confirmation rolls made while using sneak attack (maximum bonus of +5). This does not stack with the Critical Focus feat.