Genomes are a race of artificial humanoids created in production facilities. Due to the nature of their creation, the majority of the Genome population lack a soul, and have little to no emotional response; Genomes are nothing more than empty husks awaiting the attainment of a soul. A Genomes existence is perpetually incomplete until they receive a soul. As such, the collective Genome existence is dedicated to the preparation of attaining a soul, mentally and physically. The Genomes also seem to know a great deal of the Soul Cycle and the world in which they live. Although this knowledge is useless to a vessel who will soon forget what they have learned upon receiving a soul, information is circulated among the population to prevent mental decay. The Genomes harbor production facilities in which they create more of their race. Through these production facilities, they aim to create a more suitable vessel for a soul to reside in. This could also be interpreted as somewhat recreational due to their seemingly meaningless existence. Genomes are normally isolated, creating villages around their production facilities. Because of this, when a Genome attains a soul, it is not uncommon for them stay with their own kind. A Genome found away from one of these villages was probably sent to procure knowledge for the creation of more perfect Genomes. Genomes typically come in two forms, Terran and Gaian. Terran Genomes often have long flexible tails, and blonde hair, while Gaian Genomes often look dark, with shadowed faces, bright yellow eyes, and a greater aptitude in magic.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: The few genomes that attain a soul often stay isolated, making it difficult to learn to express any sort of emotion, and often seem cold, and non-social. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, and -2 Charisma.
- Size: Genomes are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Genomes are humanoids with the genome subtype.
- Base Speed: Genomes have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Genomes begin play Common. Genomes with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Reborn Spirit: Many of the souls within genomes have experienced death at least once granting them a strange resilience. Genomes gain a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against Death spells and effects.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Technological Instinct: Many genomes who awaken in a Genome village have an inherently advanced understanding of technology. Genomes gain Knowledge (Technology) as a class skill and gain a +2 racial bonus to all Knowledge (Technology) skill checks.
Offense Racial Traits
- Dexterous Tail: Genomes have a long, flexible tail that can be used to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their tails, but they can retrieve small, stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action.
- Ideal Vessel: Engineered for perfection, a genome’s class level is considered to be 1 level higher for the purpose of determining the DC of the genome’s class abilities.
Weakness Racial Traits
- Isolated: Most of a genome’s life after “awakening”, is spent around soulless genomes, making it hard to learn to express any sort of emotion or empathy, taking a -2 penalty on all Diplomacy checks. A humanoid’s starting attitude towards genomes is one step worse than normal.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Ignorant Upbringing: Genomes that “awaken” in civilized areas, far from any of the Genome villages, often live normal lives, exposed to a variety of people. These genomes are often ignorant how they came to be. Genomes gain the Weapon Focus feat for a weapon they are proficient with, even if they do not qualify for it. Because of their naivety, genomes with this trait also take a -2 penalty on all Sense Motive Checks. This racial trait replaces technological instinct and isolated, as well as changing the Racial Ability Scores to: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, and -2 Wisdom.
- Mystic Vessel: A genome with this trait has high aptitude for magic, and considers his caster modifier +1 higher for purposes of determining bonus MP. The genome also gains a +2 racial bonus to Spellcraft and Knowledge (Arcana) skill checks. This racial trait replaces ideal vessel and dexterous tail.
- Resilient Soul: A genome with this trait chooses one of the following: Fortitude, Reflex, or Will. The genome gains a permanent +1 racial bonus to all saving throws of that type. This racial trait replaces reborn spirit.
The following racial archetypes are available to genomes:
- Spellthief (Thief; Genome)
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Archer: Add +1/6 for an additional 1d6 of precision shot damage.
- Black Mage: Add one spell known from the Black Mage spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the Black Mage can cast.
- Blue Mage: Add +1/6 bonus to all Knowledge skill checks.
- Chemist: The chemist gains +1/6 of a new discovery.
- Engineer: Add +1 hit point or +1 to one saving throw to the engineer’s automaton. If the engineer ever replaces his automaton, the new automaton gains these bonus hit points or saving throw bonuses.
- Thief: Add +1/2 on Stealth skill checks.
- Time Mage: Add 1/6 of a temporal talent.
- White Mage: Add one spell known from the White Mage spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the White Mage can cast.