The Gria are a race of winged humanoids distinguished by draconic features and native to the region of Jylland. Despite their outward appearance, Gria are driven by a love for battle and many have fierce competitive spirits. Gria resemble Humes with draconic features. They have pointed ears, slender, upward pointed horns, short, thin tails, and draconic, scaly wings. Their draconic features are usually brown in color, but are sometimes green or red. They typically have red hair and yellow, slitted eyes. Although their limbs look to be slender, Gria possess powerful inner strength and athleticism. Male Gria have longer tails and larger horns and wings than their female counterparts. Gria have a somewhat matriarchal society in that females tend to be more active and outgoing than male members. While male Gria certainly exist, they prefer more peaceful and less dangerous jobs, this doesn’t mean that Males don’t go out and explore, of course, but a large majority of Gria seen questing are female. Most Gria are fine in the company of other races, their competitive and friendly spirit making them difficult to dislike, but their villages tend to host only members of their race.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Gria are strong-
limbed and self- assured, but headstrong. They gain +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, and – 2 Wisdom.
- Size: Gria are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Gria are Humanoid creatures with the gria subtype.
- Base Speed: Gria have a base speed of 30 feet on land. While gria wings are too small to provide true flight, the same magic that empowers dragons allows gria to achieve limited flight for short periods of time while wearing light or no armor and carrying no more than a light load. A gria can fly with clumsy maneuverability a number of rounds at a time equal to her Constitution bonus. A gria can attempt to fly for longer durations by making Constitution check each additional round of flight (DC 10 + 2 per extra round). A gria’s natural fly speed is equal to her base land speed. After flying, a gria must rest a number of rounds equal to twice the number of rounds spent flying before flying again.
- Languages: Gria begin play speaking Common and Draconic. Gria with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Banganese, Giant, Goblin, Ignan, Seeq, Terran. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Fearless: Gria receive a +2 racial bonus on saves against fear spells and effects.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Athleticism: Gria are naturally fit and nimble. They receive a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics checks.
- Survivalist: Gria receive a +2 bonus on Survival checks.
Offense Racial Traits
- Destructive: Gria receive a +2 racial bonus on sunder combat maneuver checks.
- Weapon Familiarity: Gria treat the knight sword as a martial weapon.
Senses Racial Traits
Light Vision: Gria can see twice as far as humes in conditions of dim light.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Bestial: The draconic blood of some gria manifests in the form of particularly prominent gria features, exacerbating their bestial appearances but improving their already keen senses. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks. This racial trait replaces weapon familiarity.
- Erdane Guardian: Bending the earth to their will was the calling of the ancient gria earth mages. A gria who follows the calling of her ancestors gains a +2 bonus to Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (geography), and Survival checks. This racial trait replaces the weapon familiarity racial trait.
- Ferocity: Some gria give themselves over completely to their race’s aggressive tendencies, channeling their competitive spirit into a bloodlust. Once per day, when brought below 0 hit points but not killed, a gria can fight on for 1 more round as if disabled. At the end of her next turn, unless brought to above 0 hit points, she immediately falls unconscious and begins dying. This racial trait replaces the weapon familiarity racial trait.
- Desert Runner: Some gria thrive in the deepest deserts, forever roaming across burned and parched lands. Gria with this racial trait receive a +4 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue, exhaustion, or ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, thirst, or hot or cold environments. This racial trait replaces weapon familiarity.
- Dual Minded: The draconic ancestry of some gria makes them resistant to mental attacks. Gria with this racial trait gain a +2 bonus on all Will saving throws. This racial trait replaces fearless and weapon familiarity.
Footed: While all gria are naturally lithe and agile, some also are naturally speedy and have a strong desire to rush into situations rather than worrying about looking ahead. Gria with this racial trait receive Run as a bonus feat and a +2 racial bonus on initiative checks. This racial trait replaces survivalist and weapon familiarity.
- Skymaster: Some gria defy their conflicted nature and take to the skies, avoiding war, peace, and civilization all together. A gria with this racial trait gains a +2 bonus to Fly and Pilot skill checks. This racial trait replaces the fearless racial trait.
The following feats are available to a gria character who meets the prerequisites.
The following racial archetypes are available to grias:
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Bard: Add +1 to the bard’s CMD when resisting a disarm or sunder attempt.
- Beastmaster: Add +1 to the beastmaster’s total number of rage rounds per day.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter’s CMD when resisting a disarm or sunder attempt.
- Gambler: Add +1/6 for a new gambler gambit.
- Geomancer: Add +1/4 to the number of times the geomancer can use the Geomancy ability.
- Holy Knight: Add +1/2 hp to the holy knight’s lay on hands ability (whether using it to heal or harm).
- Knight: Add +1/3 to the knight’s total number of rounds for the defensive stance ability per day.
- Monk: Add +1/3 to the monk’s CMD.
- Thief: Add +1 to the number of times per day the thief can cast a cantrip or 1st-
level spell gained from the minor magic or major magic talent. The number of times this bonus is selected for the major magic talent cannot exceed the number of times it is selected for the minor magic talent. The thief must possess the associated thief talent to select these options.