Hypellos are a race of amphibian creatures from the land of Spira. While their pronunciation of common is off and sometimes full of lisps many races can understand their meaning, with a heavy lisp on words with “S” in them like Shay (say) and Yesh (yes). Though they are also known for converting some words into gibberish, for example Ebullibody (everybody), Inveshtitagating (investigating) Imposhibibble (impossible), as well as ending most of their sentences with a questioning tone. They are agile in the water, but are not so nimble on dry land, walking at a torpid pace.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Hypellos are slow yet flexible. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution and -2 Strength.
- Size: Hypellos are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Hypellos are Humanoid creatures with a hypello subtype.
- Base Speed: Hypellos have a base speed of 20 feet. Though due to their life near and within water, they have a swim speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Hypellos begin play speaking Common and Hypello. Hypellos with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Moogle, Goblin, Sylvan, Dwarven. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Camouflage: Hypellos receive a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks in marshes and forested areas.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Amphibians: Hypellos begin with the Amphibious racial trait, allowing them to breathe both air and water.
- Animal Empathy: Hypellos gain a +2 to all Handle Animal checks made to influence animals.
- Rider: Hypellos gain a +2 on Ride checks.
- Swim: Hypellos have a swim speed of 30 feet and gain the +8 racial bonus on swim checks that a swim speed normally grants.
Movement Racial Traits
- Swamp Stride: A hypello can move through difficult terrain at its normal speed while within a swamp. Magically altered terrain affects a hypello normally.
Senses Racial Traits
- Darkvision: Hypellos can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.
Weakness Racial Traits
- Poor Communication: Due to their vocal patterns and childish demeanor, hypellos gain a -2 to Diplomacy and Intimidation checks against all other races.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Defensive Training: Hypellos often live in close proximity to very large animals and dangerous creatures they must learn to avoid in order to survive. They gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC against Large or larger animals and magical beasts. This racial trait replaces swamp stride.
- Fishy Merchant: Hypellos who put themselves up as tradesmen do surprisingly well, regardless of their speech. Hypellos with this racial trait gain a racial bonus of +2 to Bluff and Diplomacy checks, as well as ignoring their Poor Communication trait, when engaging in a trade. This racial trait replaces animal empathy and rider.
- Glider: Hypellos’ aerodynamic bodies and thick webbing between the toes enable a falling hypello to treat the distance fallen as half the actual distance. The hypello can steer himself while falling, moving horizontally up to a number of feet equal to half the vertical distance fallen. The hypello cannot use this trait if it is wearing heavy armor, is carrying a heavy load, or is unable to react to the fall (such as being helpless). This racial trait replaces swamp stride.
- Land Lubber: Some hypellos stay away from the waters, taking to the sky in airships or settling in towns, as such their legs are stronger than others in exchange of their swimming ability. Hypellos with this racial trait increase their base speed to 30 feet. This racial trait replaces swim.
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Bard: Add +1/6 to the DC of all songs.
- Black Mage: Add one spell known with the poison or water descriptor from the geomancer’s spell list. This spell must be at least 1 level below the highest spell level the black mage can cast. The spell is treated as 1 spell level higher, unless it is also on the black mage spell list.
- Fencer: Add 1/2 to the fencer’s Acrobatics, Climb, Escape Artist, Fly, Ride, and Swim checks when using the derring-do deed.
- Geomancer: Add a +1/2 bonus on concentration checks. This bonus doubles in a forest or swamp terrain.
- Gunner: Add a +1/4 bonus on attack rolls when making a utility shot or a dead shot.
- Thief: Add a +1/2 bonus on Perception checks while in a forest or swamp.