Shindroids appear to be almost hume, but these artificial wonders are of a completely foreign and utterly alien nature. Shindroids are created, not born, and come into the world fully mature. The strange, alien forges in which new shindroids are created are hidden in Shinra facilities, and most have little to no memories of their “birth” places. Strange circuitry-
Some shindroids are built to serve their masters, while others are sold to interested buyers looking for loyal servants. As utilities, their usefulness is boundless, and most shindroids are content to perform their assigned duties without question. Shindroids make able security guards, couriers, gardeners, shuttle pilots, expendable soldiers, and even nannies.
Much to the chagrin of their creators, some shindroids are not content to serve. Perhaps due to some flaw in their construction, they choose to pursue a different path and strive to gain experiences that will lend meaning to their existence. Although Shinra have an interest in capturing and demolishing free-
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Shindroids have swift reflexes and are very intelligent, but have difficulty relating to others. As a result, shindroids gain a +2 bonus to Dexterity and Intelligence, but suffer a –2 penalty to Charisma.
- Size: Shindroids are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Constructed (Ex): For the purposes of effects targeting creatures by type, shindroids count as both humanoids and constructs. Shindroids gain a +4 racial bonus on all saving throws against mind-
affecting effects, paralysis, poison, and stun effects; are not subject to fatigue or exhaustion; and are immune to disease and sleep effects. Shindroids can never gain morale bonuses, and are immune to fear effects and all emotion- based effects.
- Base Speed: Shindroids have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Shindroids begin play speaking Common. Shindroids with high Intelligence can choose any languages they want. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Light Fortification: Whenever a sneak attack or critical hit is scored against a shindroid, there is a 25% chance that the extra damage is negated and damage is rolled normally.
- Composite Plating: Shindroids have a +1 natural armor bonus.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Part Robot: Shindroids receive the Cybertech Savant feat at 1st level.
- Perceptive: Shindroids gain a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
Offense Racial Traits
- Natural Weapons: Shindroids have a slam attack that deals 1d4 points of damage.
Senses Racial Traits
- Exceptional Senses: Shindroids have darkvision to a range of 60 feet and low-
Other Racial Traits
- Immortal: As artificial creatures, shindroids suffer none of the drawbacks and gain none of the benefits of aging. They never die of natural causes, and they are immune to any attacks or effects that age a character.
- Nanite Surge: A shindroid’s body is infused with nanites. As an immediate action, a shindroid can cause its nanites to surge, granting a bonus equal to 1 + 1 for every four character levels it possesses on any one d20 roll; this ability must be activated before the roll is made. When a shindroid uses this power, its circuitry-
tattoos glow with light equivalent to that of a torch in illumination for 1 round. A shindroid can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + its Intelligence modifier.
Sustained: Shindroids do not eat, drink or breathe. Therefore, they are immune to the effects of starvation, suffocation and thirst. On the other hand, shindroid have no sense of smell or taste, and they cannot benefit from the effects of consumable spells or magic items. A shindroid can still use oils and potions as long as they don’t heal hit points.
- Undying: A shindroid responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A shindroid with 0 hit points is disabled, just like any living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. However, when his hit point total is –
1 or lower, a shindroid is inert (instead of dying). He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert shindroid does not lose additional hit points (unless more damage is dealt to him). A shindroid, whose negative hit point total drops to or below its Constitution score, dies like any living creature. Finally, shindroid do not age and are immune to aging effects or spells.
Weakness Racial Traits
- Emotionless: Shindroids have problems processing emotions properly, and thus take a –4 penalty on Sense Motive checks.
- High Maintenance: Shindroids healed by healing spells and effects works at 50% efficiency except spells and effects that grant fast healing. They, however, do not benefit from the Heal skill. But, shindroids can be repaired by the Repair skill or the Mending cantrip.
- Magic Ineptitude: Shindroids are inept with magic. They are unable to obtain a magic pool nor can they activate magical items.
- Rejuvenation Cycle: A shindroid runs on energy cells that need to rejuvenate regularly. During a 24-
hour period, it must shut down for 8 hours to replenish its energy supply. During its rejuvenation cycle, the shindroid is essentially asleep. If it fails to rejuvenate, it suffers a cumulative – 1 penalty on attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws each day until it fully recharges itself.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following racial traits replace existing shindroid racial traits. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Body Double: Rather than combat, the shindroid was created to resemble a specific creature of the same size category. The shindroid does not take a racial penalty to Charisma and it gains a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to impersonate that creature. A shindroid can spend a nanite surge to change into another specific creature, requiring a full-
round action. Some shindroid of this type are capable of sleeping, though they do not require it. This ability replaces Part Robot, Light Fortification, and Composite Plating.
- Force Field: A force field sheathes a shindroid in a thin layer of shimmering energy that grants a number of bonus hit points equal to 5 x the character level of the shindroid. All damage dealt to a shindroid with an active force field is reduced from these hit points first. These temporary hit points are not affected by damage reduction and elemental resistance. As long as the force field is active, the shindroid is immune to critical hits but not to precision damage. A force field has fast healing equal to half the shindroid’s character level, but once its hit points are reduced to 0, the force field shuts down and does not reactivate for 24 hours. This ability replaces Light Fortification, Nanite Surge, and Composite Plating.
- Integrated Weaponry: A shindroid that has a firearm built into its body treats such weapons as natural attacks and not manufactured weapons attacks, and cannot make iterative attacks with these weapons. Integrated weaponry can still be targeted by effects that target manufactured weapons (such as magic weapon spells or sunder attempts), but as a general rule cannot be harvested for use outside of the shindroid’s body once the shindroid is destroyed. A shindroid is always proficient with its integrated weapons. Integrated ranged weapons do not provoke attacks of opportunity when fired in melee combat. A shindroid’s core can process scrap metal into new ammunition, effectively giving the shinrdroid infinite ammo with these weapons. This ability replaces Nanite Surge and Natural Weapons.
- Magitek Unit: A shindroid obtains an essence of magitek technology, allowing it to be able to obtain a magic pool and activate magical items. This ability replaces Nanite Surge and Magic Ineptitude.
- Strong Build: Some Shindroids were built for roles which require raw strength over agility and dexterity. Shindroids with this racial trait receives a +2 bonus to their Strength score instead of Dexterity. Shindroid’s base speed is reduced to 20 feet, but their speed is not modified by armor or encumbrance.
The following feats are available to a shindroid character who meets the prerequisites.
- Adamantine Body
- Construct Lock
- Extra Surges
- Jaws of Death
- Living Construct
- Mithral Body
- Mithral Fluidity
- Nanite Disruption
- Rapid Recovery
- Rapid Repair
- Second Slam
- Shocking Fist
The following racial archetypes are available to shindroids:
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Chemist: Add +1/2 to bomb damage.
- Engineer: Add +1/4 to the number of Repair daily uses.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter’s CMD when resisting a bull rush or dirty trick.
- Gunner: The gunner gains +1/3 points of grit.
- Knight: Add +1 to the knight’s elemental resistance to one kind of element (maximum +10).
- Medic: The medic gains +1/6 of a new combat medic technique.
- Ninja: Add +1/4 point to the ninja’s ki pool.