Sometimes mistakenly referred to as ‘Werewolves,’ the varg are lean and powerful wolfmen, a mixture of human and bestial characteristics. Though they walk upright, long tails, lupine heads, and elegant fur leave little doubt as to their origins. In comparison to humes, varg enjoy enhanced seeing, smell, and hearing; they can clearly recognize objects and movement at far greater distances, though their ability to sense color is significantly weaker.
Like humes, varg are at home in a wide range of habitats. While most commonly encountered in temperate climates, subspecies of this race can be found roaming sweltering tropical savannas, scraping out a minimal existence on misty moors, or braving arctic conditions. Fur colors and thicknesses vary accordingly, simultaneously serving as insulation and camouflage appropriate to a varg’s adopted surroundings
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Vargs are powerful physical specimens geared toward hunting and scavenging, though they tend to be distrustful. They gain +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, and –
- Size: Vargs are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type:Vargs are Humanoid creatures with the varg subtype.
- Base Speed: Vargs have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Vargs begin play speaking Common and Lupin. Varg with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Draconic, Dwarven, Elvaan, Galkan, Giant, Goblin, and Orc. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Natural Armor: Vargs have a +1 natural armor bonus.
- Lycanthropy Resistance: Vargs are immune to the curse of lycanthropy. Varg’s natural attacks count as silver for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction, and a varg may spend a standard action and touch a lycanthrope to give that lycanthrope an insight bonus equal to the half the varg’s level plus his Wisdom modifier (minimum +1) to the target’s check to change back to human form.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Keen Senses: Vargs receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
- Wolf Empathy: Vargs receive a +4 racial bonus on Handle Animal and Diplomacy checks when dealing with wolves, dire wolves, or any other wolf subtype.
Offense Racial Traits
- Bite: Vargs gain a natural bite attack, dealing 1d4 points of damage. The bite is a primary attack, or a secondary attack if the varg is wielding manufactured weapons.
Senses Racial Traits
- Darkvision: Vargs can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.
Weakness Racial Traits
- Emotionless: Vargs are distrustful and aloof. They do not like dealing with other races other than their own. They receive a –
2 penalty on Diplomacy checks when dealing with other races.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Carrion Finder: Vargs have a natural affinity for carrion, since they feed on that more than on fresh kills. Vargs with this racial trait gain the scent ability. This racial trait partially replaces darkvision, replacing it with low-light vision.
- Civilized: Outcast vargs have learned to better integrate with society in an attempt to find a new pack. Vargs with this racial trait gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks. This racial trait replaces keen senses.
- Cold Acclimated: Vargs are accustomed to the extreme temperatures of snowy and polar regions to the far north. Vargs with this racial trait have white fur and are immune to environmental damage from cold weather (below 40 degrees). In conditions of extreme cold (below 0 degrees), vargs suffer the normal conditions for cold weather, not the harsher conditions for extreme cold. In addition, vargs with this racial trait also gain Ice Resistance 5. This racial trait replaces the natural armor trait.
- Feral: Vargs with this trait give in to their animal natures at the expense of their intellects. A varg with this racial trait always has Perception and Stealth as class skills. In return for this racial trait, the varg starts with a –
2 penalty to Intelligence.
- Heat Acclimated: Vargs are accustomed to the extreme temperatures of the plains and deserts they inhabit. Vargs with this racial trait automatically succeed on Fortitude saves to avoid heat dangers for conditions up to and including severe heat. This racial trait replaces the natural armor racial trait.
- Information Hunter: Outcast vargs who live in large settlements have learned to apply their hunting and scavenging instincts to more esoteric pursuits. Vargs with this racial trait gain a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy checks to gather information, and Knowledge (local) is always a class skill for them. This racial trait replaces keen senses.
- Light Build: Some vargs are light and proportionately weaker but more agile. These vargs start with a +2 bonus to Dexterity. This racial trait replaces the +2 Strength bonus.
- Influential: Exceptionally clever vargs take up the mantle of shaman for their tribes and use their gifts to more readily enslave varg captives. Vargs with this racial trait gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks and add +1 to the saving throw DCs for their spells of the enfeebling school that they cast. This racial trait replaces keen senses.
- Loper: Vargs find success by moving faster than their kin, sometimes at the expense of the thick fur protecting them. Vargs with this racial trait gain a +10 bonus to their base speed, and they gain an additional +10 foot racial bonus when using the charge, run, or withdraw actions. This racial trait replaces the natural armor racial trait.
- Savant: One out of every thousand varg births results in a hairless varg, which the varg tribe deems as a great portent for the tribe’s success. Vargs with this racial trait start with +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, and –
2 Constitution, and they have a +1 racial bonus on all saving throws. This racial trait replaces the starting attribute bonuses.
The following feats are available to a varg character who meets the prerequisites.
- Desert Runner
- Pack Tactician
- Taste of Blood
- Throwdown Trip
- Tripping Bite
- Varg Exemplar
The following racial archetypes are available to vargs:
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Astrologian: Add +1/3 times per day for the draw ability.
- Beastmaster: Add +1 to the beastmaster’s total number of rage rounds per day.
- Bard: Add +1/6 to the bonus provided by the bard’s inspire courage bardic performance.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter’s CMD when resisting a grapple or trip attempt.
- Gambler: Add +1/4 to the gambler’s luck pool.
- Gunner: Add +1/4 to the gunner’s grit points.
- Monk: Add +1 to the monk’s base speed. In combat this option has no effect unless the monk has selected it in an increment of five. This bonus stacks with the monk’s fast movement class feature and applies under the same conditions as that feature.
- Samurai: Add +1/3 to the samurai’s critical confirmation rolls.
- Thief: Add a +1/2 bonus on Stealth checks.