The kobolds are a race of mole-like creatures who have excavated a warren of tunnels beneath O’Ghomoro, a mighty peak rising in northern Vylbrand. Believing the ores of the earth to be a gift of the primal Titan, these subterranean beastmen seek to divine their deity’s teachings through the arts of alchemy and metallurgy. Despite forging a peace agreement with Limsa Lominsa, recent conflicts over mineral deposits have led to a resurgence of hostilities.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Like goblins and moblins, kobolds are also tech savvy but their people skills are lacking. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, and -2 Charisma.
- Size: Kobolds are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Kobolds are humanoids with the kobold subtype.
- Base Speed: Kobolds have a base speed of 30 feet and burrow speed of 20 feet.
- Languages: Kobolds start off knowing Terran and Common. They can learn any of the beastmen languages. Kobolds can learn additional languages by putting ranks into the linguistics skill.
Defense Racial Traits
- Bond to the Land: Kobolds have been mining for many generations and gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC when in caves and rocky terrain.
- Reckless Work: Kobolds receive a +4 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue and exhaustion, as well as any other ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, thirst, and hot or cold environments.
- Thick Hide: Kobolds have thick hair all over them and gain a +1 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Cave Dweller: Kobolds have vast knowledge on dungeons and survival and therefore gain a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (dungeoneering) and Survival checks made underground.
- Master Tinker: Like goblins, kobolds are excellent at taking things apart, thought not as much as putting them back together and gain a +2 racial bonus on Disable Device skill checks. Kobolds are also treated as proficient with any weapon they have personally “crafted”.
Offense Racial Traits
- Hatred: Kobolds have been on threatening terms of the Roegadyn-Galka of Lominsa as of recent and gain a +2 attack on attacks against them.
Senses Racial Traits
- Low-Light Vision: Kobolds have low-light vision, allowing them to see twice as far as humes in dim light.
Social Racial Traits
- Emissary: Kobolds are decent on making trade offers to the once famous pirates of Lominsa and know exactly how to swindle their way into getting precious metals and ores. Once per day, kobolds can roll twice when making a Bluff or Diplomacy check and take the better roll.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Mountain-Born: Most kobolds have been born in caves and mountainous terrain and gain a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics checks made to cross narrow ledges and on saving throws against altitude fatigue and sickness. This racial trait replaces master tinkerer.
- Scavenger: Kobolds are constantly looking for ores that can be used to gain power and respect amongst their fellow race and gain a +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Perception checks to find hidden objects (including traps and secret doors), determine whether food is spoiled, or identify a potion by taste. This racial trait replaces cave dweller.
- Scent: Kobolds being a relative of the Qiqirn have a keen snout and the ability to smell things before they see them. Kobolds with this racial trait gain the scent ability. This racial trait replaces low-light vision.
- Tempered: Those who are followers of their false God gain an earth resistance of 5. This racial trait replaces thick hide.
- Unnatural: Kobolds unnerve normal animals and monsters, and train to defend themselves against the inevitable attacks from such creatures. Kobolds take a –4 penalty on all Charisma-based skill checks to affect creatures of the animals and monsters type, and receive a +4 dodge bonus to AC against animals and monsters. Animals and monsters’ starting attitude toward kobolds is one step worse than normal. This racial trait replaces bond of the land.
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Chemist: Add +1/2 to bomb damage.
- Engineer: Add +1/2 bonus on Knowledge (Engineering and Technology) skill checks.
- Fighter: Add one Martial or Eastern Weapon to be proficient with (Can only be used twice).
- Geomancer: Add +1/4 to the number of times the geomancer can use the Geomancy ability.
- Thief: Add a +1/2 bonus on Stealth checks and Perception checks made in dim light or darkness.