An aquatic beast tribe commonly found on and near the Ruby Sea. Their settlements lay beneath the waves, where they thrive on the endless bounties of the deep. Unlike other beast tribes, they do not worship a single deity, for they believe gods exist in all things. Perhaps in part due to this conviction, they have a penchant for trading and collecting all manner of effects.
The Kojin are skilled traders who welcome dealings with other races. They are most comfortable in the water, having settlements under the sea. They believe that unique gods reside in all things, and collect and hoard rare items that house powerful Kami to bring power and prosperity to themselves and their kin.
After the Garlean Empire invaded, the Kojin split into two factions: the pacifist Kojin of the Blue, and the mercenary Kojin of the Red. The Red Kojin allied with the Empire as mercenaries, concealing their faith and practicing it in secret. The Blue Kojin would rather be peaceful traders, and so minimize their involvement in Imperial affairs. The Blue Kojin see the Red practicing their faith in secret to be a mockery that the Kami would not approve of.
It is unclear why the Blue Kojin are green, while the Red Kojin are red. In-universe, this is speculated to be because the Kojin may be incapable of seeing the difference between green and blue (which would have interesting implications), or it may simply be a matter of translation from the Kojin’s native language being somewhat inaccurate.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Kojins are a hardy and wise people, though they tend to be distrustful. They gain +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, and -2 Charisma.
- Size: Kojins are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Kojins are Humanoid creatures with the reptillian subtype.
- Base Speed: Kojins have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Kojins begin play speaking Common and Kojin. Kojin with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Draconic, Dwarven, Elvaan, Galkan, Giant, Goblin, and Orc. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Hide in Shell: As a full round action, kojins may retract their body into their shell. This allows them to gain DR/5 Bludgeoning. It also allows for 20% concealment. When they use this ability, they immediately fall prone, drop anything they were holding, and any item that isn’t directly attached to their skin. While they are in this form, they cannot make attacks, use items, or cast spells. They must remain in this form for at least one complete round. To come out of their shell, they must spend another full round action (this does not provoke AoO).
- Shell: Kojins have a natural armor bonus of +1.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Natural Swimmers: Kojins have a swim speed of 30 feet and as such they do not have to make a swim check in order to swim under normal circumstances. They have a +8 racial bonus to swim checks to perform a special action or avoid a hazard. Though kojins cannot breathe water, they are able hold their breath for a number of rounds equal to four times their Constitution score before making drowning checks. Nor do standard or full-round actions reduce this time.
- Skilled Traders: Kojins gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff checks. In addition, when they use Diplomacy to shift a creature’s attitude, they can do so up to three steps up rather than just two.
Offense Racial Traits
- Eastern Weapon Familiarity: Kojins treat the following weapons as martial weapons: kama, katana, kusarigama, naginata, nunchaku, sai, shuriken, siangham, and wakizashi.
Senses Racial Traits
- Low-Light Vision: Kojins have low-light vision allowing them to see twice as far as humes in dim light.
- Water Sense: Kojins can sense vibrations in water, granting them blindsense 30 feet against creatures that are touching the same body of water.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Deep Kojin: Some kojins live in the deeper ocean and almost never visit the land above the sea. Such kojins gain darkvision to a range of 60 feet, ice resistance 5 and light sensitivity, in order to survive the lightless depths. This racial trait replaces low-light vision.
- Defensive Training: Kojins often live in close proximity to very large animals and dangerous creatures they must learn to avoid in order to survive. They gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC against Large or larger animals and magical beasts. This racial trait replaces eastern weapon familiarity and skilled traders.
- Hard-Shelled: Some kojins have a harder shell. Kojins with this racial trait possess a natural armor bonus of +2. These kojins are a little less limber and suffer a -1 penalty to attack rolls. This racial trait replaces shell.
- Natural Prankster: All kojins love a good practical joke but some are worse than others. These kojins have the following ability adjustments: +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, and –2 Wisdom. This racial trait replaces the standard ability score racial traits.
The following racial archetypes are available to kojins:
- Vigilante (Ninja; Kojin)
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Beastmaster: Add +2 temporary hit points while raging in or near the water.
- Black Belt: Add +1/2 to damage rolls made with unarmed attacks.
- Blue Mage: Add +1/2 to the blue mage’s caster level when determining the range of any spells with the water descriptor.
- Chocobo Knight: Add a +1/2 bonus on Diplomacy and Ride checks.
- Cleric: Add +1/4 of an additional die of channel energy.
- Dark Knight: Add 5 feet to the dark knight’s sense good range. This option has no effect unless selected 5 times (or another increment of 5); a range of 64 feet is effectively the same as a range of 60 feet, for instance.
- Fighter: Add a +1 bonus to the fighter’s CMD when resisting grapple and a +1 bonus on Escape Artist checks.
- Gunner: Add a +1/3 bonus to the AC bonus granted by the gunner’s dodge deed.
- Holy Knight: Add 5 feet to the holy knight’s sense evil range. This option has no effect unless selected 5 times (or another increment of 5); a range of 64 feet is effectively the same as a range of 60 feet, for instance.
- Monk: Add +1/4 to the monk’s armor class bonus.
- Ninja: Add a +1/3 bonus on damage rolls to sneak attack.
- Red Mage: Add +1/2 damage on spells that contain the water descriptor or belong to the elemental water school.
- Scholar: Add 1 spell from the black mage or white mage spell lists to the scholar’s known spells. This spell must be at least 1 spell level below the highest level the scholar can cast.
- Summoner: Add 10 feet to the range of the avatar’s life link ability while in the water. If the avatar’s base form is aquatic, this bonus is applied when out of the water also.
- Thief: Add a +1/2 bonus on Perception and Stealth checks while near or in the water.