These amphibious beastmen reside mainly on the western coastline of the island of Elshimo. They spend the majority of their time practicing primitive fishing techniques to provide an ample supply of shellfish for their survival. Other than to protect their territory, the sahagins rarely interact with other races. Before the Great War, they adamantly refused invitations by the Shadow Lord to join the beastmen armies–until he convinced them that the steamships of Bastok would eventually destroy their environment. During the war, the sahagins used their sea maneuvering abilities to attack even the strongest ships in the allied fleet, and were feared by all seafaring soldiers. After the flames of battle had been extinguished, the sahagins cut off all ties to the other beastmen and returned to their secluded way of life. Apart from limited trading with Norg–they often trade shellfish for metal trinkets salvaged by the pirates–the sahagins have little contact with the outside world. Finally, many of the sahagins worship the elements, and have made deities out of sea serpents and oddly shaped stones within their grotto.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: While sahagins are powerful and cunning, they are repulsive creatures. They gain +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, and -2 Charisma.
- Size: Sahagins are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Sahagins are Humanoids with the aquatic subtype.
- Base Speed: Sahagins have a base speed of 30 feet and a 30 foot swim speed.
- Languages: Sahagins begin play speaking Sahagin and Common. They can only learn any of the other beastmen languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Bond to the Depths: Sahagins gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC when in shallows and deep water terrain.
- Mist Child: Deriving from the oceans and fog, whenever a sahagin has concealment or total concealment, the miss chance of attacks against her increases by 5%.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Amphibious: Sahagins have been blessed by their god, allowing them to breathe both in and out of the water making it ideal to fish and gather materials off of the sea floor for trading purposes.
- Martial Weapon Proficiency (Trident): Sahagins have been trained at birth to use tridents in hand to hand combat. They have been known to track and board trading ships throughout the generations and some have formed pirate crews to attack said ships.
Offense Racial Traits
- Bite: Sahagins have a natural bite attack that deals 1d4 points of damage. This bite is a primary attack, or a secondary attack if the creature is wielding manufactured weapons.
- Blood Frenzy: Once per day, whenever a sahagin takes damage, it can fly into a frenzy for 1 minute; gaining a +2 racial bonus to Constitution and Strength but a –2 penalty to AC.
- Claws: Sahagins have two claw attacks that deal 1d4 points of damage. These are primary natural attacks.
Senses Racial Traits
- Low-Light Vision: Only diving down to the shallows for trinkets and food, they can see twice as far as a hume with normal vision in conditions of dim light.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Aquatic Summoner: It is forbidden to summon when the elder is not present but its even more of a crime to summon non-aquatic creatures. When summoning a creature with the water subtype with a summon spell, increase the duration of that spell by 2 rounds. This racial trait replaces bond to the depths.
- Darkvision: Some sahagins favor the lightless depths of caverns and shallow waters. Sahagins with this racial trait gain darkvision with a range of 60 feet and light sensitivity. This racial trait replaces low-light vision.
- Deepsight: Sahagins are specially adapted to the lightless depths of the oceans, but not to air-filled environments. They can see in the dark up to 120 feet while underwater, but do not gain this benefit out of water. This racial trait replaces low-light vision.
- Hydrated Vitality: When a sahagin is damaged and is close to water, it can say a short prayer to its deity and gain fast healing 2 for 1 round anytime they submerge completely within a body of natural salt water, fresh water, or brackish water. Stagnant, poisoned, or trapped water (such as water within an artificial pit or a bag of holding) does not activate this ability. Sahagins can heal up to 2 hit points per level per day with this ability, after which it ceases to function. This racial trait replaces exotic weapon proficiency (trident) and mist child.
- Tempered: Those who are followers of their false God gain 5 water or ice resistance. This racial trait replaces bond to the depths and mist child.
The following racial archetypes are available to sahagins:
- Wave Warden (Geomancer; Sahagin)
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Beastmaster: Add +1 hit point or +1 skill rank to the beastmaster’s aquatic animal companion. If the beastmaster ever replaces his aquatic companion, the new aquatic companion gains these bonus hit points or skill ranks.
- Black Mage: Add +1/2 point of water damage to spells that deal water damage cast by the black mage.
- Dragoon: Add +1/6 to reduce armor check penalty and increase maximum Dexterity bonus when wearing armor.
- Geomancer: Add +1/2 to the bonus on initiative checks the geomancer gains based on favored terrain.
- Summoner: Add 10 feet to the range of the avatar’s life link ability while in the water. If the avatar’s base form is aquatic, this bonus is applied when out of the water also.