Tarutarus resemble children in size, though this does not reflect their age. In fact, they do not seem to change their appearance at all as they age. The Tarutaru are said to understand the importance of the balance between natural harmony and magic. Tarutarus lack the physical strength and durability of their fellow enlightened races as a result of their racial prejudice towards magical study, but they do control greater reserves of magical power as a result, and are the most studious and intelligent of the races.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Tarutarus are quick in both mind and body, but physically frail. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, –2 Strength, and –2 Constitution.
- Type: Tarutarus are Humanoid creatures with the tarutaru subtype.
- Size: Tarutarus are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Base Speed: (Slow Speed) Tarutarus have a base speed of 20 feet on land.
- Languages: Tarutarus begin play speaking Common and Lalafellan. Tarutarus with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Draconic, Dwarven, Elvaan, Galkan, Giant, Goblin, and Orc. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Defensive Training: Tarutarus get a +4 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the giant type.
- Magic Resistant: Tarutarus get a +1 racial saving throw bonus against spells or spell-
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Magic Expert: Tarutarus value knowledge and learning about the field of magic. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft checks.
- Talented: Tarutarus receive a +2 racial bonus on a Craft or Profession skill of their choice.
Magical Racial Traits
- Magic Aptitude: Tarutarus gain a +2 racial bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance and a +2 racial bonus on dispel checks.
- Spell Focus: Tarutarus gain a +2 racial bonus on concentration checks made to cast spells defensively.
Like Ability (Su): Tarutarus can use detect magic at will as a spell- like ability (caster level equal to the tarutaru’s class level).
Senses Racial Traits
light Vision: Tarutarus can see twice as far as a hume in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Academician: Some tarutarus are more academically inclined than their kin. Tarutarus with this racial trait gain a +2 bonus on any single Knowledge skill. This racial trait replaces talented.
- Architectural Ingenuity: Some tarutarus demonstrate incredible talent for building and adjusting structures. These tarutarus gain a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (engineering) checks and on Craft and Perception checks related to structures (including structural traps). This racial trait replaces talented.
- Dirty Trickster: All tarutarus love pranks, but some specialize in those improvised during battle. These tarutarus gain a +2 racial bonus on dirty trick combat maneuvers. They need not meet the Intelligence requirement to select Combat Expertise, Improved Dirty Trick, and any feat with Improved Dirty Trick as a prerequisite. This racial trait replaces defensive training and talented.
- Eternal Hope: Tarutarus rarely lose hope and are always confident that even hopeless situations will work out. Tarutarus with this racial trait receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against fear and despair effects. Once per day, after rolling a 1 on a d20, the tarutaru may reroll and use the second result. This racial trait replaces defensive training.
- Explorer: Many tarutarus are obsessed with seeing as much of the world as possible, rather than perfecting some specific talent or vocation. These tarutarus gain a +2 racial bonus on Climb checks and checks for one Knowledge skill of their choice. This racial trait replaces talented and spell focus.
- Inquisitive: Tarutarus have a knack for being in places they shouldn’t be. Tarutarus with this trait gain a +2 racial bonus on Disable Device and Escape Artist checks. This racial trait replaces magic expert.
- Intrepid Settler: Some tarutarus add to the thrill of living by settling in precarious places. These intrepid tarutarus gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against fear effects and on Acrobatics, Climb, and Swim checks. This racial trait replaces magic expert and talented.
- Magical Linguist: Tarutarus study languages in both their mundane and supernatural manifestations. Tarutarus with this racial trait add +1 to the DC of spells they cast with the language-
dependent descriptor or those that create glyphs, symbols, or other magical writings. They gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against such spells. Tarutarus with Charisma scores of 11 or higher also gain the following spell- like abilities: 1/day—comprehend languages, message, read magic. The caster level for these effects is equal to the tarutaru’s level. This racial trait replaces spell- like ability.
- Polyglot: Some tarutarus, especially those who spend a lot of time traveling, develop a talent for learning new languages. These tarutarus gain a +2 racial bonus on Linguistics checks, and it is always a class skill for them. Tarutarus with this racial trait also begin play with the ability to speak Common, Lalafellan, and any one other language of their choice in addition to bonus languages due to high Intelligence. They still gain the normal list of tarutaru bonus languages. This racial trait replaces magic expert and alters the tarutaru language racial trait.
- Practicality: Tarutarus value hard work and common sense. Tarutarus with this racial trait gain a +2 bonus on any one Craft or Profession skill, as well as on Sense Motive checks and saves against illusions. This racial trait replaces magic expert and magic aptitude.
- Student of the City: Tarutarus of the city learn all they can from newcomers and tend to make contacts in all quarters. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (local) checks, and can use that skill to gather information in place of Diplomacy. This racial trait replaces talented.
- Vivacious: Some tarutarus recover 50% more hit points (minimum 1) whenever they recover hit points from rest. Whenever they are healed of hit point damage by a spell, they heal an additional amount equal to 1/2 the spell’s caster level (minimum 0). The extra healing does not apply to spells that grant fast healing or similar effects. This racial trait replaces magic resistance.
- Warden of Nature: Tarutarus must often protect their homes against unnatural or pestilential infestations. Tarutarus with this racial trait gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC against aberrations, oozes, and vermin, and a +1 bonus on attack rolls against them because of their special training. This racial trait replaces defensive training.
- Wright: Some tarutarus prefer to use their natural talents with mechanisms to drive machines. These tarutarus gain a +2 racial bonus on driving checks and on Craft checks to build or repair vehicles. This racial trait replaces talented.
The following feats are available to a tarutaru character who meets the prerequisites.
The following racial archetypes are available to tarutarus:
- Diminutive Adept (Monk; Tarutaru)
- Filcher (Thief; Tarutaru)
- Order of the Bird (Chocobo Knight; Tarutaru)
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Archer: Add +1/6 for an additional 1d6 of precision shot damage.
- Astrologian: Add a +1 bonus on concentration checks when casting astrologian spells.
- Bard: Add +1 to the bard’s total number of bardic performance rounds per day.
- Beastmaster: Reduce AC penalty when raging by 1/5, to a maximum reduction of 2.
- Black Belt: Increase the number of times per day the black belt can use martial flexibility by 1/4.
- Black Mage: Add +1/2 bonus on checks made to craft magic items.
- Blue Mage: Add +1/6 bonus to Knowledge (all) skill checks.
- Chemist: Add +1 foot to the range increment of the chemist’s thrown splash weapons (including the chemist’s bombs). This option has no effect unless the chemist has selected it 5 times (or another increment of 5); a range increment of 24 feet is effectively the same as a range increment of 20 feet, for example.
- Chocobo Knight: Add +1 hit point to the chocobo knight’s mount. If the chocobo knight ever replaces his mount, the new mount gains these bonus hit points.
- Cleric: Add +1/2 to the cleric’s channeled energy total when healing creatures of the animal, fey, and plant types.
- Dancer: Add +1 to the dancer’s Acrobatics check bonus gained by spending a point from his ki pool. A dancer must be at least 4th level to select this benefit.
- Dark Knight: Add +1/4 to the number of defiles the dark knight can inflict.
- Dragoon: Add +1/2 bonus to Acrobatic skill checks for jumping.
- Engineer: Add +1/2 bonus to Craft skill checks.
- Fencer: Add +1 to the fencer’s CMD when resisting a dirty trick or steal attempt.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter’s CMD when resisting a disarm or sunder attempt.
- Gambler: Add +1/4 to the gambler’s luck pool.
- Geomancer: Add +1/6 for an additional 1d6 of geomancy damage.
- Gunner: Add +1/4 to the dodge bonus to AC granted by the nimble class feature (maximum +4).
- Holy Knight: Add +1/2 hit point to the holy knight’s lay on hands ability (whether using it to heal or harm).
- Illusionist: Add +1/6 to the DC for all illusion spells.
- Knight: Add +1/6 shield bonus to armor class while the knight uses any shield.
- Medic: Add +1/4 hit point additionally healed with medic’s improved first aid.
- Monk: Add +1 to the monk’s CMD when resisting a grapple and +1/2 to the number of stunning fists he can attempt per day.
- Necromancer: Add +1 hit point to the necromancer’s bone commander.
- Ninja: Add +1 to the ninja’s Acrobatics check bonus gained by spending a point from his ki pool. A ninja must be at least 5th level to select this benefit.
- Red Mage: Add one of the following to the red mage’s list of arcane pool weapon special abilities: allying, conductive, corrosive, corrosive burst, defending, ghost touch, menacing, merciful, mighty cleaving, or vicious. Once selected, it cannot be changed.
- Samurai: Add +1/2 to Knowledge (History) skill checks.
- Scholar: Add 1/6 to the number of points the scholar gains in her arcane reservoir each day.
- Summoner: The amount of time the summoner must spend to summon his avatar is reduced by 1 round, to a minimum of 1 round.
- Sword Saint: Add +1 to the sword saint’s CMD when resisting a dirty trick or steal attempt.
- Thief: The thief gains a +1/2 bonus on Disable Device and Use Magic Device checks related to glyphs, symbols, scrolls, and other magical writings.
- Time Mage: Add 1/6 of an additional d4 to one saving throw when you spend a mote to boost a saving throw. (+1d4 for every six times you select this option.)
- White Mage: Add +1/2 hit point to the white mage’s lay on hands ability (whether using it to heal or harm).