Distant cousins of the Galka, the Roegadyn are a maritime people whose largest concentrations are found in the northern seas, by way of which they came to Eorzea.
They have enormous, muscular builds and are known for the cultural emphasis they place on competition and unflinching courage, although tender, introspective individuals can also be found. Roegadyn in and around the Limsa Lominsa area are typically seamen putting in at port, but many have settled permanently, becoming mercenaries, bodyguards, or even pirates by trade. Far away, deep in the mountains of Ul’dah, live mountain clans of reclusive Roegadyn known as the Hellsguard, said to have mastered the magical arts.
Female Roegadyn have fierce faces and large muscular builds, not unlike their male kin, but they are sleeker. They are not as massive as male Roegadyn, and are a little shorter than their male counterparts (7’3″ at max height for females and 7’5″ for the males). Female Sea Wolves Roegadyn have fair skin (even more so than males) and are slim compared to Hellsguard women, while the latter have more robust physiques and brownish skin compared to male Hellsguard.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Roegadyn are strong, boastful, but not too nimbie. They gain +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, and -2 Dexterity.
- Size: Roegadyn are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Roegadyn are humanoids with the roegadyn subtype.
- Base Speed: Roegadyn have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Roegadyn begin play speaking Common and Roegadyn. Roegadyn with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Dwarven, Elvaan, Giant, Goblin, Lalafellan, and Orc. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Powerful Build: The physical stature of roegadyns lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a roegadyn is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for a Combat Maneuver Bonus or Combat Maneuver Defense (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the roegadyn is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A roegadyn is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A roegadyn can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Stability: Roegadyn receive a +4 bonus to their combat maneuver bonus when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Imposing Figure: Roegadyn are intimidating without trying. They gain a +2 racial bonus to Intimidate checks.
Offense Racial Traits
- Cornered Fury: Roegadyns that are reduced to half their hit points or fewer and have no conscious ally within 30 feet, they gain a +2 racial bonus on melee attack rolls and to Armor Class.
- Ferocity: Roegadyn possess the ferocity ability which allows them to remain conscious and continue fighting even if their hit point totals fall below 0. Roegadyn are still staggered at 0 hit points or lower and lose 1 hit point each round as normal.
Senses Racial Traits
- Low-Light Vision: Roegadyn have low-light vision allowing them to see twice as far as humes in dim light.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Battle-Hardened: Incessant drills make defense second nature to some roegadyns. Roegadyns with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus to CMD. This racial trait replaces stability.
- Sea Legs: Many roegadyn find their way onto the water early in their youth, whether they live with trader families, work as smugglers, or plunder alongside pirates. These roegadyn receive a +2 racial bonus on Swim checks, as well as a +4 racial bonus on Acrobatics checks to move on narrow or slippery surfaces, and on Climb checks on docks and ships. This racial trait replaces imposing figure.
- Stoic: Some roegadyns learn to suppress their strong emotions. They don’t usually gain morale bonuses, but instead gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against emotion and fear effects, and the DC to intimidate them increases by 2. They can choose to gain morale bonuses when they would normally be able to do so, but if they do, they lose the benefits from this racial trait for 24 hours. This racial trait replaces imposing figure and ferocity.
The following feats are available to a roegadyn character who meets the prerequisites.
The following racial archetypes are available to roegadyns:
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Beastmaster: Add +1 to the beastmaster’s total number of rage rounds per day.
- Black Belt: Add 1/4 to the black belt’s effective level to determine unarmed strike damage.
- Dark Knight: Add +1/3 on critical hit confirmation rolls made while using smite good (maximum bonus of +5). This does not stack with the Critical Focus feat.
- Fighter: Add +1 to CMD against bull rush or overrun maneuvers.
- Knight: Add +1 to the knight’s total number of defensive stance rounds per day.
- Samurai: Add +1/3 to the samurai’s critical confirmation rolls.
- Sword Saint: Add a +2 bonus on rolls to stabilize when dying.