|Racial Traits||Race Point Cost|
|Type||Humanoid (al bhed)||0|
|Ability Score Modifiers||Standard (+2 Dex, +2 Int, –2 Cha)||0|
|Feat and Skill||Fixer-Upper||3|
|Feat and Skill||Mechanical Genius||3|
|Feat and Skill||Static Bonus Feat (Technologist)||2|
|Feat and Skill||Skill Training (drive and pilot)||1|
|Feat and Skill||Weapon Familiarity x3||3|
Al Bhed differs only slightly from humes; in their bright green eyes with spiral-
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Al Bhed are very bright and agile, but because of their obsession with forbidden technology, people tend to be cautious of them. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, and –
- Size: Al Bheds are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Al Bheds are Humanoid creatures with the al bhed subtype.
- Base Speed: Al Bheds have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Al Bheds begin play speaking Common and Albhedian. Al Bheds with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Desert Nomad: Al Bheds thrive in the deepest deserts, forever roaming across burned and parched lands. They gain a +4 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue, exhaustion, or ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, thirst, or hot or cold environments.
- Trap Knowledge: Al Bheds know the inner mechanical workings of most traps. They gain +2 racial bonus on all saving throws versus mechanical traps.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
Upper: Al Bheds gain the Repair skill as a class skill regardless of class. In addition, they never take penalties for not having a toolkit while using the Repair skill. Furthermore, they only take 30 minutes to use the Repair skill to repair damage done to a construct.
- Mechanical Genius: At first level, Al Bheds gain an additional skill rank and a +2 racial bonus to skill rolls which they must apply to one of the following: Knowledge (engineering), Profession (engineering), Craft (any), Disable Device, or Use Magical Device. These skills are always considered class skills for an al bhed.
- Skill Training: Al Bheds treat Drive and Pilot as class skills.
- Technologist: Al Bheds are intuitive and have an innate understanding of technology, gaining Technologist as a bonus feat.
- Weapon Familiarity: Al Bheds are proficient with Simple Firearms.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Academician: Some al bheds are more academically inclined than their kin. Al Bheds with this racial trait gain a +2 bonus on any single Knowledge skill. This racial trait replaces technologist.
- Child of the Sea: Al Bheds from a coastal region with this racial trait gain a +4 racial bonus on Swim checks as well as on Profession (sailor) and Wisdom checks to pilot a sea vessel. They also have an innate sense of direction and can never get lost at sea. This racial trait replaces desert nomad.
- Explorer: Many al bheds are obsessed with seeing as much of the world as possible, rather than perfecting some specific talent or vocation. These al bheds gain a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics, Climb, and Swim checks and these skills are always considered class skills. This racial trait replaces mechanical genius and desert nomad.
- Magic Resistant: Some al bheds are particularly resistant to magic. Al Bheds with this racial trait gain spell resistance equal to 11 + their character level. This resistance can be lowered for 1 round as a standard action. Al Bheds with this racial trait take a –2 penalty on all concentration checks made in relation to arcane spells. This racial trait replaces fixer-
upper and weapon familiarity.
- Mechanical Dismantler: Al Bheds are known for their innate ability to dismantle Mechina better than most. Al Bheds gain a +4 racial bonus on Steal maneuver checks used against Machina subtypes. This racial trait replaces skill training.
- Xenophobic: Isolationist al bheds despise non-
al bhed humanoids. They speak only Al Bhed and do not gain any bonus languages from possessing a high Intelligence score. In addition, they learn only one language per 2 ranks of Linguistics they possess. However, their untrusting nature gives them a +1 bonus against mind- affecting effects, except for fear affects. This racial trait replaces an al bhed’s normal languages.
- Wary: Many al bheds have spent their long lives moving from place to place, often driven out by the hostility of others. Such experiences have made them wary of others’ motivations. Al Bheds with this trait gain a +1 racial bonus on Sense Motive and Bluff checks. This racial trait replaces desert nomad.
The following feats are available to an al bhed character who meets the prerequisites.
The following racial archetypes are available to al bheds:
- Tinker (Engineer; Al Bhed)
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Chemist: Add +1/4 to the chemist’s damage rolls with thrown weapons.
- Engineer: Add +1 hit point or +1 to one saving throw to the engineer’s automaton. If the engineer ever replaces his automaton, the new automaton gains these bonus hit points or saving throw bonuses.
- Gambler: Add +1/5 die to the gambler’s gil toss ability.
- Gunbreaker: Add +1/6 of a new gunbreaker talent.
- Gunner: Add +1/4 point to the gunner’s grit points.
- Medic: The medic gains +1/6 of a new combat medic technique.
- Thief: The thief gains +1/6 of a new thief talent.