|Racial Traits||Race Point Cost|
|Ability Score Modifiers||Standard (+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Wis)||0|
|Defense||Bond to the Land (cold or forest)||2|
|Defense||Energy Resistance (wind)||1|
|Feat and Skill||Craftsman||1|
|Feat and Skill||Skill Bonus (Pilot)||2|
|Feat and Skill||Skill Training (Knowledge technology and engineering)||1|
|Feat and Skill||Partial Master Tinker||1|
|Magical||Elemental Affinity (wind)||1|
The Ixal are lithe in stature, and feature horns and a toothed beak. For reasons unknown, after their exile from the Black Shroud, new generations of Ixal have lacked pinion feathers. Having lost their ability to fly, they use balloons for transporting cargo throughout mountain passes. Thus their engineering and crafting abilities are highly used to build more and maintain the balloon transportation. Their main stronghold is Natalan, located east of Camp Dragonhead in the Coerthas Highlands. As befitting their reverence for the Lady of Vortexes, the Ixal have an affinity to using wind magic, and her blessings power the airstones that guide their airships.
They frequently make excursions into the Black Shroud to obtain timber, both for practical use and as religious service to Garuda. These activities have earned the ire of the elementals, and by extension the city-state of Gridania, leading to frequent clashes. In contrast, their encroachment into Coerthas has been generally dismissed as a secondary concern by the Holy See of Ishgard, who are too preoccupied with the holy war against the Dravanian Horde to deal with Natalan. The lack of overt aggression by Ixal against the Holy See has supported their view.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Engineers for the sole purpose of flight, they are intellectually smart and dexterous, though lacking in wisdom. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, and -2 Wisdom.
- Size: Ixals are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Ixals are humanoids with the ixal subtype.
- Base Speed: Ixals have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Ixal begin with Common and Yagudo. They can learn any of the beastmen languages. Ixal can learn additional languages by putting ranks into the linguistics skill.
Defensive Racial Traits
- Bond to the Ice: Ixal are used to the treacherous icy lands of Coerthas or the forested areas of the Black Shroud. Therefore, they gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC in forested or icy terrains. This choice is made at character creation, and cannot be changed.
- Elemental Resistance: Ixal are highly tuned with the wind and gain resistance 5 against wind damage.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Craftsman: Of those Ixal who do not blindly worship their false god, they are a very crafty race and gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft or Profession checks to create objects from metal, cloth, leather, wood or stone.
- Craftsman Knowledge: Ixal gain Knowledge (technology) and Knowledge (engineering) as class skills. Ixal are also treated as proficient with any weapon they have personally crafted.
- Sky Enthusiasts: Ixal gain pilot as a class skill.
Magical Racial Traits
- Elemental Affinity: Ixal are treated as 1 level higher when casting spells with the wind descriptor. This ability does not give ixal early access to level-
based powers; it only affects powers that they could already use without this ability.
- Elemental Summoner: Choose one of the following elemental subtypes—earth, fire, ice, lightning, water, wind. When summoning a creature with the chosen subtype with a summon spell, increase the duration of that spell by 2 rounds. This choice is made at character creation, and can only be changed with retraining.
- Weather Savvy: Ixal are so in tune with the air and sky (whether they are on their airships or on the ground) that they can sense the slightest change in atmospheric conditions. They can spend a full-round action to predict the weather in an area for the next 24 hours. This prediction is always accurate, but cannot account for spells or supernatural effects that might alter the forecast.
Offense Racial Traits
- Claws: Ixal have claws both on their hands and receive two claw attacks that deal 1d4 points of damage. These are primary natural attacks but can be used on either hands or feet depending on how they attack.
Senses Racial Traits
- Low-Light Vision: Ixal have low-light vision allowing them to see twice as far as humes in dim light.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Garuda’s Current: Once per day as a swift action, by praying to their false god, Garuda, the Ixal are surrounded by swirling winds, gaining a +2 deflection bonus to AC against non-magical ranged attacks for 1 minute. This racial trait replaces bond of the ice.
- Fast: Since the Ixal have lost their ability to fly, they, instead, practice running at the expense of all other teaching and gain a +5 foot bonus to their base speed. This racial trait replaces bond of the ice.
- Tempered: Those who are followers of their false God gain a water and ice resistance of 5 against magical attacks and normal means that could damage them. This racial trait replaces craftsman.
- Warborn Hatred: The Ixal gain a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against elvaan and goblins. This racial trait replaces bond of the ice.
- Weapon Familiarity: The Ixal are proficient with maces and glaives. This racial trait replaces weather savvy.
The following racial archetypes are available to ixal:
- Nimble Striker (Fighter; Ixal)
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Archer: Add +1 foot to the range increment with bows or crossbows. This option has no effect unless the archer has selected it 5 times (or another increment of 5).
- Beastmaster: Add +1 hit point or +1 skill rank to the beastmaster’s animal companion. If the beastmaster ever replaces his companion, the new companion gains these bonus hit points or skill ranks.
- Engineer: Add +1/2 bonus to Craft skill checks.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter’s CMD when resisting a disarm or sunder attempt.
- Red Mage: Add a +1/2 circumstance bonus on critical hit confirmation rolls when using spellstrike (to a maximum of +4). This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus.