A magitek pilot commands a massive, armored war machine equipped with beam cannons. Magitek pilots are often freelancers, serving as shock troopers or scouts to earn money to pay for repairs for their Magitek.
The magitek pilot is an archetype of the chocobo knight class.
A magitek pilot adds Knowledge (Technology) and Repair to his list of class skills and removes Handle Animal and Ride from his list of class skills.
Limit Break (Su)
At 1st level, the magitek pilot receives the Limit Break (Megaton Smash).
Megaton Smash (Su): This Limit Break empowers the magitek pilot’s Magitek to make a single natural weapon attack with a +2 circumstance bonus to attack rolls + an additional +2 bonus per four chocobo knight levels after 1st. If the attack hits, the target takes an extra 2d6 points of damage + an additional 2d6 per four chocobo knight levels after 1st in addition to the normal damage it deals with its natural weapon plus double the Strength modifier for damage. If the attack was a critical hit, the Strength modifier is tripled instead.
This ability replaces the Limit Break (Fight as One).
Magitek Mount (Ex)
At 1st level, the magitek pilot gains possession of a powerful Magitek. This Magitek functions as a beastmaster’s animal companion, using the magitek pilot’s level as his effective beastmaster level. A magitek pilot’s mount does not gain the shared senses special ability. If a magitek pilot enhances his Magitek mount with quality components (see below), all permanent buffs carry over in advancements. But if the magitek pilot’s Magitek mount is destroyed, all permanent buffs are lost if he builds a new one.
Magiteks are not true living creatures, despite being treated as such in some ways, and do not gain feats or skill points of their own. Magiteks cannot take actions on their own, and instead use the pilot’s actions. A Magitek’s Hit Dice, armor, and abilities advance as the chocobo knight advances in level. If a character receives a companion from more than one source, his effective chocobo knight levels stack for the purposes of determining the statistics and abilities of the companion.
Size: Large; Speed: 40 ft; AC: +4 armor; Melee: Slam (1d8); Reach: 10 ft.; Ability Scores: Str 20, Dex 11, Con –, Int –, Wis 12, Cha 6. Special Qualities: Construct immunities
AC: +2 armor; Ability Scores: Str +2, Dex +2; Special Qualities: Beam Cannon, Heal Beam, Jump Jets, or Magitek Force Shields. (2/day), chosen when the chocobo knight gains 4th level.
Ability Scores: Str +4, Dex +2; Special Qualities: Beam Cannon, Heal Beam, Jump Jets, or Magitek Force Shields. (2/day), chosen when the chocobo knight gains 8th level. If the ability picked is the same as the 4th level, it instead increases the number of usages by 2.
AC: +2 armor; Ability Scores: Str +2, Dex +2; Special Qualities: Assisted Targeting Systems, Double Beam Cannons, Nautical Adaptation, Overdrive, Powered Servo Motors, Resuscitators, Rocket Propulsion. (2/day), chosen when the chocobo knight gains 12th level.
Ability Scores: Str +4, Dex +2; Special Qualities: Assisted Targeting Systems, Double Beam Cannons, Nautical Adaptation, Overdrive, Powered Servo Motors, Resuscitators, Rocket Propulsion. (2/day), chosen when the chocobo knight gains 16th level. If the ability picked is the same as the 12th level, it instead increases the number of usages by 2.
AC: +2 armor; Ability Scores: Str +2, Dex +2; Special Qualities: Autopilot, The Big Red Button, or Ultima Cannon. (1/day), chosen when the chocobo knight gains 20th level.
A magitek pilot does not take an armor check penalty on Drive checks while piloting his mount. A magitek pilot’s knowledge of his mount is unmatched. Should a magitek pilot’s mount be destroyed, the magitek pilot may build a new Magitek to pilot after 1 week of repair work. If the magitek’s hit points are reduced to 0, it becomes inactive. Exiting an inactive magitek requires a standard action. If a magitek continues to take damage beyond 0, it will explode. A magitek being reduced to -20 will explode immediately, dealing 5d6 points of fire damage to the operator (if still inside the magitek) (no save) and to all creatures within a 15-ft.-radius spread (Reflex save DC 14 for half damage). A magitek destroyed this way cannot be repaired, but can be salvageable.
Table: Magitek Mount Base Statistics
|Class Level||HD||BAB||Saves||Save Bonus||Armor Bonus||HP Bonus||Special|
|4th||4||+4||+1||+1||+1||+20||Tier 1 Customizable Chassis Upgrade|
|7th||6||+6||+2||+3||+3||+35||Custom Job Upgrade|
|8th||7||+7||+3||+3||+3||+40||Tier 1 Customizable Chassis Upgrade|
|11th||9||+9||+4||+4||+4||+55||Expanded Chassis Upgrade|
|12th||10||+10||+4||+5||+5||+60||Tier 2 Customizable Chassis Upgrade|
|15th||12||+12||+5||+6||+6||+75||Superior Custom Job|
|16th||13||+13||+5||+6||+6||+80||Tier 2 Customizable Chassis Upgrade|
|17th||14||+14||+6||+7||+7||+85||Expanded Chassis Upgrade|
|20th||16||+16||+7||+8||+8||+100||Tier 3 Customizable Chassis Upgrade|
- Class Level: The character’s chocobo knight level. The chocobo knight’s class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to a companion for the purpose of determining the companion’s statistics.
- HD: This is the total number of ten-sided (d10) Hit Dice the Magitek possesses As a construct, no Constitution modifier is added to the Magitek’s hit points.
- BAB: This is the magitek’s base attack bonus. Magiteks do not gain additional attacks using their natural weapons for a high base attack bonus.
- Good/Bad Saves: These are the Magitek’s base saving throw bonuses. A Magitek has good Fortitude and Reflex saves.
- Armor Bonus: The number noted here is the Magitek’s base total armor bonus. A magitek cannot wear armor of any kind, as the armor interferes with the magitek pilot’s operation of the magitek. A magitek pilot can enchant his Magitek’s body as if it were armor.
- HP Bonus: The number noted here is the Magitek’s bonus hit points.
This ability replaces chocobo mount.
At 1st level, a magitek pilot gains Magitek Operation and Evasive Action as bonus feats. In addition, Magitek Operation feat counts for Mounted Combat feat requirements as well as the Drive skill counts for Ride skill requirements for feats.
This ability replaces in or out of the saddle and steadfast mount.
At 1st level, as a standard action, a magitek pilot can fix his magitek with a mere touch. The magitek pilot repairs 1d6 points of damage plus an additional 1d6 points of damage for every two chocobo knight levels after 1st (2d6 at 3rd, 3d6 at 5th, and so on). This ability stacks with the engineer’s repair ability. In addition, one use of Repair restores an item affected by the broken condition. The magitek pilot can repair a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Intelligence modifier.
This ability replaces commander’s aura, commander’s shout, and victor’s rally.
Customizable Chassis (Ex)
At 4th level, the magitek pilot becomes skilled at modifying and adapting his Magitek to solve problems. At 4th level and 8th level, the magitek pilot chooses one Tier 1 customizable chassis upgrade from the list below, and adds it to his Magitek. At 12th and 16th levels, the Magitek Pilot chooses one Tier 2 customizable chassis upgrade and adds it to his Magitek. At 20th level, the magitek pilot chooses a Tier 3 customizable chassis upgrade and adds it to his Magitek. With one day of work and 1,000 gil per tier, the magitek pilot can change the special qualities of his Magitek with another upgrade of an equivalent tier.
Tier 1 Customizable Chassis Upgrades: At 4th level and 8th level, the magitek pilot may add a tier 1 special quality to their Magitek, usable two times per day. If the same upgrade is chosen twice, The magitek pilot may use the special quality an additional two times per day.
- Beam Cannon (Su): Choose fire, ice, water, lightning, earth, or wind. Creatures caught in a 30-ft. line in front of the Magitek take 5d6 elemental damage of the chosen type. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + half the magitek pilot’s level + his Intelligence modifier) will half the damage.
- Heal Beam (Su): Choose an ally within 30 feet that magitek pilot can see. That ally heals 5d6 damage.
- Jump Jets (Ex): As a swift action, the Magitek gains a +20 modifier to Acrobatics checks to Jump for the next minute.
- Magitek Force Field (Ex): As an immediate action, this grants a +4 bonus to AC to both the Magitek and any creatures inside it for one round.
Tier 2 Customizable Chassis Upgrades: At 12th level and 16th level, the magitek pilot may add a tier 2 special quality to their Magitek, usable two times per day. If the same upgrade is chosen twice, the magitek pilot may use the special quality an additional two times per day.
- Assisted Targeting Systems (Ex): As a swift action, all attacks made by the Magitek gain the Lucky status effect for the next minute.
- Double Beam Cannons (Su): As Beam Cannon, except the magitek pilot may fire a second beam in a 30-ft line. This second beam doesn’t need to be the same element as the first, and it can fire independently of the first.
- Nautical Adaptation (Ex): For an hour per chocobo knight level, the Magitek gains a swim speed equal to its land speed.
- Overdrive (Su): For the next minute, the Magitek receives the Haste status effect.
- Powered Servo Motors (Ex): As a swift action, the Magitek receives the Pounce universal monster ability until the end of the turn.
- Resuscitators (Su): The Magitek’s internal life-support systems can be turned outward, targeting a dead creature within touch range. This ability functions exactly like the raise spell.
- Rocket Propulsion (Ex): For a minute per chocobo knight level, the Magitek gains a fly speed of 30 ft, with clumsy maneuverability.
Tier 3 Customizable Chassis Upgrades: At 20th level, the magitek pilot may add a tier 3 special quality to their Magitek, usable once per day.
- Autopilot (Su): For the next day, the Magitek operates on its own without the need for the magitek pilot to drive it. The Magitek acts on its pilot’s orders, with an Intelligence about on par with an animal.
- The Big Red Button (Ex): As a swift action, the magitek pilot slams down on his magitek’s self-destruct button. The Magitek beeps loudly for one round, before exploding spectacularly at the end of the magitek pilot’s next turn. Every creature in a 50-ft. radius suffers 20d6 points of non-elemental damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 20 + his Intellitgence modifier) reduces damage by half. Once the Magitek self-destructs, it is destroyed, and the magitek pilot must spend time rebuilding it before it can be functional again. Provided the magitek pilot can recover the chassis, this process takes three days instead of the normal week.
- Ultima Cannon (Su): The Magitek fires a beam of pure magiteknological energy in front of it. Any creature caught in a 30-ft. line in front of the Magitek suffers 10d12 points of non-elemental damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 20 + his Intelligence modifier) reduces damage by half.
This ability replaces mounted talents gained at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level.
Magitek Mastery (Ex)
Starting at 4th level, a magitek pilot gains a bonus on Drive and Repair checks equal to half of his chocobo knight level when applied to his Magitek mount. In addition, the magitek gains a +1 competence bonus to his magitek mount’s attack rolls. This bonus increases by 1 every four chocobo knight levels thereafter.
This ability replaces expert trainer, master feeder and mounted mettle.
Custom Job (Ex)
At 7th level, the magitek pilot has seen his Magitek through so much that the Magitek really is his. The magitek pilot selects one Custom Job from the list below, and applies it to his Magitek. Once chosen, this Custom Job cannot be changed unless the magitek pilot spends three days and 3,000 gil working on his Magitek to change out features. The Magitek is not available for use and is completely non-functional at this time.
- Enhanced Melee Armaments: The Magitek gains the pilot’s choice of either a drill spear (1d10 piercing primary natural attack with reach) or two claws (1d4 secondary natural attacks).
- Improved Armor: The Magitek’s armor bonus increases by +4.
- Improved Weapon Systems: The Magitek’s Slam attack now deal 2d8 damage instead of 1d8.
- Onboard Artillery System: The Magitek is outfitted with a machine gun, allowing the magitek pilot to make attacks from a distance. When attacking with the machine gun, the magitek pilot uses his Dexterity score or the Magitek’s, whichever is higher.
- Size Increase: The Magitek grows one size category, gaining an additional +2 to Strength, -2 to Dexterity, and new size modifiers according to its new size.
- Spacious Cockpit: The Magitek may fit an additional creature of one size category smaller than the Magitek inside its cockpit.
- Terrain Stabilizers: The Magitek no longer suffers movement penalties for difficult terrain.
This ability replaces improved chocobo mount.
At 8th level, the magitek pilot learns to put immediate power over long-term sustainability. The magitek pilot can restore a daily use of one of his Magitek’s supernatural abilities by spending a number of Repair uses equal to the tier of the ability (minimum 1 use).
This ability replaces relentless steed.
Improved Repair (Su)
At 8th level, the magitek pilot may use his Repair ability as a swift action.
This ability replaces chivalry’s call.
Magitek Juggernaut (Ex)
At 10th level, a magitek pilot on his magitek mount gains a +2 bonus on overrun and bull rush combat maneuver attempts. If the magitek pilot has the Improved Overrun or Improved Bull Rush feats, his bonus increases to +4 while on his magitek mount. In addition, if the magitek pilot on his magitek mount successfully performs an overrun or bull rush combat maneuver, he may have his magitek mount make a free natural weapon attack.
This ability replaces burst of speed.
Expanded Chassis (Ex)
At 11th level, the magitek pilot expands upon his chassis upgrades. He may either choose a new Tier 1 chassis upgrade, or add one additional use per day of each of his current Tier 1 chassis upgrades. At 17th level, he may choose to add either another Tier 2 chassis upgrade, or add one additional use per day to each of his current Tier 1 and Tier 2 chassis upgrades.
This ability replaces dual aura and general’s awe.
Superior Evasive Action (Ex)
After achieving 12th level, when using the Evasive Action feat, a magitek pilot may attempt a Drive check (as a reaction) twice per round to negate a successful hit on his mount. At 18th level, the magitek pilot may make these attempts three times per round.
This ability replaces superior mounted combat.
Skilled Deflection (Ex)
At 13th level, a magitek pilot knows to trust in his magitek’s armor. As an immediate action, a magitek pilot may expendone use of his repair ability to attempt a Drive check to turn his mount to absorb the blow for him. The DC of this check is equal to the result of the attack roll made against him. If successful, the attack hits the mount instead, dealing half of its normal damage. A magitek pilot must decide to use this ability after the attack has been rolled, but before the result has been revealed.
This abiilty replaces chocobo’s parry.
Superior Custom Job (Ex)
At 15th level, the magitek pilot’s mount is the stuff of legends. The magitek pilot selects a Superior Custom Job from the list below, and applies it to his Magitek. Once chosen, this choice cannot be changed unless the magitek pilot spends one week and 7,000 gil working on his Magitek to refit the parts. The Magitek is not available for use and is completely non-functional at this time.
- Advanced Artillery Systems: The magitek pilot gains Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Artillery Firearms) as a bonus feat. The machine gun mounted on the Magitek is upgraded to a heavy autotek, and the magitek pilot may also install his choice of a flamethrower or grenade launcher to the Magitek. Prerequisite: A magitek pilot must have the Onboard Artillery Systems custom job to choose this option.
- Gold-Plating: More than just an ostentatious show of wealth, a layer of gold-plating provides heavy magic dampening effects. The Magitek gains spell resistance equal to (10 + chocobo knight level). This spell resistance extends to the magitek pilot as long as he is mounted in the Magitek.
- Improved Force Shields: Half of the Magitek’s armor bonus to AC is converted to deflection bonus.
This ability replaces superior chocobo mount.
Magitek Defense (Ex)
At 19th level, the magitek pilot is capable of turning an otherwise lethal blow and continue the fight. When an attack that inflicts hit point damage from a natural attack, melee weapon, or ranged weapon would reduce the magitek pilot to 0 or fewer hit points, he can make a Fortitude save (DC the attacker’s attack roll) to deflect the attack to his magitek mount, causing it to suffer the damage in his place (apply hardness as normal).
This ability replaces indomitable steed.