Dragoons train to fight dragons, to defend their home by soaring the skies to attack their foes. Some befriend dragons. Some try to fight like them. Some obtain a bond with a dragon through their aether, such as through their body parts, or giving a dragons blessing or power at birth. Whatever the circumstance these dragoons are called Azure Dragoons. Fighting with the power of a dragon’s aether to unleash healing, and devastating attacks on their foes, and other dragons.
The azure dragoon is an archetype of the dragoon class.
Limit Break (Su)
At 1st level, the azure dragoon receives the Limit Break (Life of the Dragon).
Life of the Dragon (Su): This Limit Break grants the azure dragoon all effects of blood of the dragon without using his daily uses of the ability, and his talents do not cost stamina points while under the effect of this Limit Break for a duration of 1 round + 1 round per four dragoon levels after 1st. This limit break requires only a swift action.
This ability replaces the Limit Break (Lancet).
Blood of the Dragon (Su)
At 1st level, the azure dragoon becomes attuned to a dragon, becoming a part of them. Usually this is done by a bond, determined by the dragon or the azure dragoon. If this bond is ever broken, the azure dragoon loses blood of the dragon until he makes a new bond with another dragon.
As a swift action, the azure dragoon can reach within himself and unleash the power of the dragon he has attuned to, the dragon taking ethereal form, swirling about the azure dragoons body with an aura the color of the dragon. While active, the azure dragoon is able to use the ability Geirskogul (see below), and gains a bonus to all Acrobatic checks made to Jump equal to his dragoon level.
In addition, the azure dragoon’s ability to jump with his Acrobatic checks is treated as though he got a running start and has the Run feat, regardless of whether or not he gets a running start. An azure dragoon’s maximum height is not affected by his size and his jump is not affected by maximum movement speed, allowing very strong, very powerful dragoons to eventually leap higher than their own height and further than his own movement speed. In addition, the azure dragoon may jump as part of a charge action.
Beginning at 4th level, the DC multiplier for a high jump is reduced by 1, making it a multiplier of 3 rather than 4. This reduction improves by 1 every seven levels; multiplier of 2 at 11th level, and multiplier of 1 at 18th level. An azure dragoon using this ability does not provoke an attack of opportunity unless they pass through a square that is threatened by a flying creature that he is not attacking directly. If an azure dragoon is hit in this manner, they fall to the ground prone in the square in front of the creature. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to the azure dragoon’s Constitution modifier. He may use it a number of times per day equal to 3 plus his dragoon level.
This ability replaces jump.
At 1st level, the azure dragoon can pour the dragon’s power into a single thrust, sending out a wave of energy to blast his foes. As a standard action, the azure dragoon send a wave of energy forward that takes an ethereal form of his dragon, dealing his melee attack damage plus 1d6 points of non-elemental damage + and additional 1d6 points of non-elemental damage per three dragoon levels after 1st in a 15-ft.-line. A Reflex save can be made (DC 10 + half of the dragoon’s level + his Strength modifier) to half this damage. Geirskogul can only be performed while under the effect of Blood of the Dragon and can only be used once during each use of Blood of the Dragon.
At 5th level, he may use Geirskogul as part of a charge when he jumps.
This ability replaces deadly lancer.
Stamina Pool (Ex)
At 2nd level, the azure dragoon gains a reservoir of stamina that he can draw upon to fuel his talents that he gains below. This stamina pool has a number of points equal to 5 x his Constitution modifier (minimum 1) and this pool increases by 5 + his Constitution modifier per level thereafter. The pool refreshes once per day when the azure dragoon rests for a full 8 hours. Sustained modes take up a static amount of stamina points from the azure dragoon’s current and maximum stamina pool and most sustained modes stack. If the character has a stamina pool from another class, he then only increases his stamina pool by 5 + his Constitution modifier per level instead.
By spending 5 stamina points, the azure dragoon can do one of the following:
- Increase his speed by 10 feet for 1 round, or
- Delay and suppress his fatigue or exhaustion for 1 round, or
- Increase one saving throw by +1 for 1 round.
Each of these powers is activated as a swift action.
This ability replaces pole fighting.
Talent Trees (Su)
The azure dragoon gets access to one talent tree from the sword saint class of his choosing and the azure dragoon talent tree from below. At 2nd level and every two levels thereafter, the azure dragoon chooses to learn one talent from the talent tree below, from the other talent tree he has chosen, or an acrobatic talent from the dragoon’s list of acrobatic talents. Weapon Requirement: Any polearm or spear.
Azure Dragoon Specialization Talent Tree
- Jump: At the cost of 10 stamina points, as a full round action, the azure dragoon may leap at an enemy and impale them with the momentum of a jump and leap back to place. He may jump at an enemy within 30-feet and make a melee attack; if successful, he deals normal damage. He can spend an additional 5 stamina points to leap back to original spot as part of this talent, if he doesn’t, he remains adjacent to the target. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
- Super Jump: When performing Jump or Mirage Dive, the azure dragoon now deals an additional 1d6 damage per four dragoon levels after 3rd. Prerequisite: Jump
- Spineshatter Dive: When using the Jump talent, the azure dragoon can increase the stamina cost by 10 to stun the target as well. A successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of the dragoon’s level + his Strength modifier) negates the stun effect. Prerequisite: Jump
- Dragonfire Dive: When using the Jump talent, the azure dragoon can increase the stamina cost by 10 to cause the tip of his weapon to explode dealing normal damage + 1d6 points of fire damage to the target, and all creatures within 10-ft.-radius of the target, excluding the azure dragoon. This damage is increased by an additional 1d6 damage per four dragoon levels after 3rd. A Reflex save can be made by those affected in the area of effect except the target (DC 10 + half of the dragoon’s level + his Strength modifier) to half this damage. This cannot be used with Spineshatter Dive. Prerequisites: Jump, Spineshatter Dive
- Mirage Dive: At the cost of 10 stamina points, as a swift action, after performing jump this turn, he may send forth a raging wave of energy in the form of a dragon head into the sky and dive onto an enemy within 30-feet. The azure dragoon makes a ranged touch attack on an enemy as part of this talent, and if successful, he deals the effect as the type of jump used this round, however, it deals half damage. Prerequisites: Jump, Spineshatter Dive, Dragonfire Dive
- Reis’ Wind: At the cost of 10 stamina points, as a standard action, the azure dragoon heals himself and all allies within a 30-ft.-radius for 1d6 plus an additional 1d6 for every four dragoon levels after 3rd. He also grants all affected allies Fast Healing 2 for a number of rounds equal to his Constitution modifier.
- White Draw: Reis’ Wind now restores 1 MP and 5 Stamina Points, and an additional 5 Stamina points per four dragoon levels after 3rd to his allies. The azure dragoon does not restore Stamina or MP from White draw. Prerequisite: Reis’ Wind
- Battle Litany: As a swift action, the azure dragoon can activate this talent as a sustained mode. He grants a portion of his dragon’s power to himself and his allies increasing the critical threat range of all attacks by him and his allies in a 15-ft.-radius by 1. This is applied after all other feats and abilities that increase threat range such as Improved Critical. This mode uses up 20 points of the azure dragoon’s current and maximum stamina pool.
- Dragon Sight: As a swift action, the azure dragoon can activate this talent as a sustained mode. He chooses an ally within 30-feet, tethering the ally and himself together with the ethereal might of the dragon. Both the azure dragoon and the ally gain a +1 bonus to all attack and damage rolls as long as they remain within 30-feet of each other. This bonus increases by 1 for every four dragoon levels after 3rd. This mode uses up 20 points of the azure dragoon’s current and maximum stamina pool. Prerequisite: Battle Litany
- Nastrond: At the cost of 20 stamina points, the azure dragoon can perform his Geirskogul ability without being under Blood of the Dragon. If he is under Blood of the Dragon when activating this, Geirskogul has its radius increased to all enemies in a 15-ft.-wide, 30-ft.-line and deals an additional 1d6 non-elemental damage per five dragoon levels. Prerequisites: Battle Litany, Dragon Sight
These abilities may replace acrobatic talents.
Elusive Jump (Ex)
At 11th level, when the azure dragoon would be targeted by a melee attack, he may, as immediate action, jump back 10-feet that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. He gains a +2 dodge bonus to AC against the attack made against him when using elusive jump. He may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 plus his Constitution modifier.
This ability replaces springing charge.
Sonic Thrust (Ex)
At 17th level, the azure dragoon can make a single attack that barrages his enemy with many more unseen thrusts. When making a full-round attack on an enemy, he may declare all his attacks as a Sonic Thrust and he may calculate all damage from all attacks as one, for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction from multiple attacks. He may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 plus his Strength modifier.
This ability replaces mighty charge.
At 20th level, the azure dragoon has mastered Geirskogul and his dragon’s power, becoming completely attuned to the dragon. The azure dragoon may concentrate Geirskogul into piercing shots from his polearm, making a ranged touch attack against any enemy within 30-feet, if successful, they take Geirskogul damage. If the azure dragoon confirms a critical hit with this attack, the target is stunned for 1d4 rounds. A Fortitude save (DC 20 + the azure dragoon’s Strength modifier) reduces this to staggered for 1d4 rounds. In addition, he may use blood of the dragon indefinitely and may sustain the effect constantly as the azure dragoon and the dragon he has attuned to, has become one mind.
This ability replaces leaping charge.