|Racial Traits||Race Point Cost|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid (Moomba)||3|
|Ability Score Modifiers||Standard (+2 Con, +2 Cha, -2 Int)||0|
|Feat and Skill||Prehensile Tail||2|
|Feat and Skill||Choco / Mog buddies||2|
|Advanced Traits (Movement)||Fast x2 (+20 feet)||3|
Moombas are cute bipedal/quadrupedal lion-like creatures with opposable thumbs and with fur that spikes at the ends of their heads, tails and elbows. Their fur colors range from light browns and oranges to deep reds. They stand at around 3 feet and 3 inches tall on average though are often seen on all fours when in movement. Their paws are of a larger size than normal, which leads to them being capable predators if not for their soft nature.
As one of the many final stages in the evolving life cycle of a shumi, moombas are treated highly within their own settlements, especially by their shumi relatives. While revered by shumi, moombas are often treated as slaves or laborers by non-shumi, this is possibly due to their lack of normal speech or outward intelligence.
As the final stage of a shumi, the moombas are generally benign, good-natured and hard-working, this is solidified even more when non-shumi “force” them into work beyond their understanding. Within shumi settlements, moombas are regarded as the best of their kind, with plenty of non-vocal communication being had amongst all moomba and shumi.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Moombas are used to working long hours and other people have trouble hating them, though their intelligence is somewhat lacking. They gain +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma and -2 Intelligence.
- Size: Moombas are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Type: Moombas are Monstrous Humanoid creatures with a moomba subtype.
- Base Speed: Moombas have a base speed of 50 feet.
- Languages: Moombas cannot fully speak any language, only being able to converse through body language and specific words, though they can understand languages fully if they spend the time to learn and can even write in those languages. Moombas can communicate flawlessly with other moomba or shumi. Moombas must spend double the ranks to learn a new language, but they may never speak it fully. Moombas begin play understanding common. Moombas with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Undercommon, moogle. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Desert Runner: Moombas receive a +4 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue and exhaustion, as well as any other ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, thirst, and hot or cold environments.
- Stability: Moombas receive a +4 racial bonus to their CMD when resisting bull rush or trip attempts while standing on the ground.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Choco / Mog buddies: Moombas are incredibly close with moogles and chocobos, gaining a +4 bonus on any Diplomacy, Bluff, Wild Empathy and Ride checks with them.
- Prehensile Tail: Members of this race have a long, flexible tail that can be used to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their tails, but they can retrieve small, stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action.
Offense Racial Traits
- Bite: Moombas have a dangerous natural bite attack, dealing 1d3 points of damage. The bite is a primary attack, or a secondary attack if the creature is wielding manufactured weapons.
- Claws: Moombas have claws both on their hands and receive two claw attacks that deal 1d3 points of damage. These are primary natural attacks that use their upper arms.
- Slapping Tail: Moombas have a tail they can use to make attacks of opportunity with a reach of 5 feet. The tail is a secondary natural attack that deals 1d6 points of damage plus the user’s Strength modifier.
Senses Racial Traits
- Darkvision: Moombas have darkvision with a range of 60 feet.
Weakness Racial Traits
- Broken Language: Moombas cannot speak any language fully and so take a -4 when using Diplomacy, except against moombas, shumi, moogles, and chocobos.
- Vocal Failure: When casting spells with vocal components, moombas have to overcome their lack of words, they must succeed a linguistics check (DC 15 + double Spell Level) or lose the spell.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Climb: Having worked within a more mountainous environment the moombas can become adept climbers. Moombas with this trait gain a climb speed of 20 feet, and gain the +8 racial bonus on Climb checks that a climb speed normally grants. This reduces their base land speed to 40 feet.
- Nimble Attacks: Focusing on weapons over their natural weapons, moombas change their combat style to better combat higher geared opponents. Moombas with this trait receive Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. This racial trait replaces bite.
- Scent: Following their ability to distinguish between people by their scent or blood, moombas with this trait gain the scent ability. This racial trait replaces darkvision and prehensile tail.
- Silent Spellcasting: Harmonising the magic within them, moombas learn the ability to cast spells without vocal components. Moombas with this trait gain the Silent Spell metamagic feat. This racial trait replaces desert runner and stability.
- Vocal Adept: Spending time on learning languages as well as the ability to broadcast a wider vocabulary the moombas can overcome their lack of proper vocals. Moombas with this trait no longer require linguistics checks to cast vocal spells. This trait replaces broken language, vocal failure, bite, claws, and slapping tail.
The following racial archetypes are available to moombas:
- Item Master (Chemist; Moomba)
Favored Class Options
The following favoured class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favoured class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favoured class reward.
- Beastmaster: Add +1 hit point or +1 skill rank to the beastmaster’s animal companion. If the beastmaster ever replaces his companion, the new companion gains these bonus hit points or skill ranks.
- Black Belt: Reduce the hardness of any object made from clay, stone, or metal by 1 whenever the object is struck by the black belt’s unarmed strike (minimum 0).
- Chemist: Add +1 foot to the range increment of the chemist’s thrown splash weapons (including the chemist’s bombs). This option has no effect unless the chemist has selected it 5 times (or another increment of 5); a range increment of 24 feet is effectively the same as a range increment of 20 feet, for example.
- Chocobo Knight: Add +1 hit point to the chocobo knight’s mount. If the chocobo knight ever replaces his mount, the new mount gains these bonus hit points.
- Dancer: Add +1 to the dancer’s base speed. In combat this option has no effect unless the dancer has selected it five times (or another increment of five). This bonus stacks with the dancer’s fleet class feature and applies under the same conditions as that feature.
- Engineer: Add +1/2 bonus to Craft skill checks.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter’s CMD when resisting a disarm or sunder attempt.
- Monk: Reduce the Hardness of any object made of clay, stone, or metal by 1 whenever the object is struck by the monk’s unarmed strike (minimum of 0).
- Thief: Add a +1/2 bonus on Stealth checks and Perception checks made in dim light or darkness.