|Racial Traits||Race Point Cost|
|Ability Score Modifiers||Standard (+2 Dex, +2 Wis, –2 Str)||0|
|Feat and Skill||Murderous Aura||2|
|Feat and Skill||Sneaky||5|
|Movement||Swift as Shadows||3|
|Weakness||Unable to Cast||-4|
Tonkins are the offshoot race of their tonberry brethren. They are a (mostly) peaceful race, keeping to themselves. Tonkins are small, usually no taller than three feet. They have green skin, round heads with small snouts, yellow eyes and a fish tail. Its unsure what gender they are, as they all look the same. Although mute, they communicate through their limited telepathy.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Tonkins tend to be very agile and cunning in nature, but their small stature makes them weaker than most races. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, and –2 Strength.
- Type: Tonkins are Humanoid creatures with the tonberry subtype.
- Size: Tonkins are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Base Speed: Tonkins have a base speed of 20 feet on land. Tonkins’ speed are never modified by armor or encumbrance.
- Languages: Tonkins begin play understanding (but not speaking) (see limited telepathy) Common and Tonberry. Tonkins with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aklo, Auran, Draconic, Goblin, Numish, and Sylvan. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Fearless: Tonkins receive a +2 racial bonus on saves against fear spells and effects.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Murderous Aura: Tonkins let off an aura that makes most quake at the sight of them. Tonkins gain a +4 racial bonus to intimidation checks used to demoralize an opponent.
- Sneaky: Tonkins gain a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks.
Magical Racial Trait
- Lantern Bearer: Tonkins are immune to light-
based blindness and dazzle effects, and are treated as one level higher when determining the effects of any light- based spells or effects they cast (including spell- like and supernatural abilities). If a Tonkin has an Intelligence of 10 or higher, it may use torchlight at will as a spell- like ability.
- Limited Telepathy: Tonkins are able to mentally communicate with any creature within 30 feet with whom they share a language.
Movement Racial Trait
- Swift as Shadows: Tonkins reduce the penalty for using Stealth while moving at full speed by 5, and reduce the Stealth check penalty for sniping by 10.
Offense Racial Traits
- Serrated Wound: When tonkins damage an opponent with a light piercing melee weapon, they deal an extra 1d4 bleed damage. This ability does not stack with other special abilities, attacks, or items that allow them to deal bleed damage.
Senses Racial Traits
Light Vision: Tonkins can see twice as far as humes in conditions of dim light.
Weakness Racial Traits
- Unable to Cast: Due to their nature of being mutes, tonkins are unable to cast spells normally without either Silent Spell or Telepathic Spellcaster feat.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Cornered Fury: Whenever a tonkin with this racial trait is reduced to half its hit points or fewer and has no conscious ally within 30 feet, it gains a +2 racial bonus on melee attack rolls and to Armor Class. This racial trait replaces serrated wound.
- Curiosity: Some tonkins are naturally inquisitive about the world around them. Tonkins with this racial trait gain a +4 bonus on Diplomacy checks to gather information, and Knowledge (history) and Knowledge (local) become class skills for them. If they choose a class that has either of these Knowledge skills as class skills, they gain a +2 racial bonus on those skills instead. This racial trait replaces sneaky and swift as shadows.
- Dexterous Tail: Tonkins with this trait have a long, flexible tail that can be used to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their tails, but they can retrieve small, stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action. This racial trait replaces swift as shadows.
- Keen Senses: Some tonkins have a keener sense of smell and sight. They receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks. This racial trait replaces swift as shadows.
Variant Tonkin Heritages
Although many tonkins follow the general model of the tonkin, many more do not. Those of different lineages may evince dramatically different manifestations of their heritage, both in appearance and in ability. Here are 2 different potential heritages for tonkin PCs. If you choose to use a specific bloodline instead of the general rules for creating a tonkin, you should work with your GM to ensure that your character’s appearance reflects that bloodline.
- Alternate Skill Modifier: While most tonkins have a +4 bonus on Stealth checks, those of the variant heritages listed below gain a modifier to a different skill.
Table: Variant Tonkin Heritages
|Heritage||Ability Modifiers||Alternate Skill Modifier||Description|
|Palekin||+2 CHA, +2 DEX, -2 STR||Diplomacy||Rather than the normal tonberry ancestry of their kind, these tonkins are instead descended from paleberries, their heritage betrayed by their white skin and icy blue eyes.|
|Tonkin Royalty||+2 DEX, +2 INT, -2 STR||Knowledge (Nobility)||These tonkins are descended from tonberry royalty. They usually wear golden crowns to signify their heritage.|
The following feats are available to a tonkin character who meets the prerequisites.
- Advanced Telepathy
- Improved Tonberry Nobility
- Lantern Fighter
- Telepathic Spellcaster
- Tonberry Nobility
The following racial archetypes are available to tonkins:
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Archer: Add +1/3 bonus to the archer’s Aim bonus for attack and damage rolls.
- Astrologian: Add +1/4 to the astrologian’s Reflex saving throws versus area effects.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter’s CMD when resisting a dirty trick or steal attempt.
- Medic: The medic gains +1/6 of an additional 1d6 points of surgical precision damage.
- Monk: Add +1 to the monk’s CMD when resisting a grapple and +1/2 to the number of stunning attacks he can attempt per day.
- Thief: Add +1/3 on critical hit confirmation rolls made while using sneak attack (maximum bonus of +5). This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus.