|Racial Traits||Race Point Cost|
|Ability Score Modifiers||Standard (+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Wis)||0|
|Feat and Skill||Curiosity||4|
|Feat and Skill||Silver Tongued||3|
|Feat and Skill||Sociable||1|
These diminutive beastmen reside together with the civilized races of Vana’diel. Most Qiqirns make their home in a city located in the heart of the Aht Urhgan Empire’s western half. They tend to have an easygoing and cheerful personality, but have difficulty speaking the common language due to their unusual vocal cords. Even so, it is not uncommon to hire a Qiqirn as a shop or guild assistant, thanks to their reliability and surprisingly quick wits. Some Qiqirn have even made use of their sharp sense of smell to become extremely wealthy in the production of fragrances. According to their oral tradition, the ancestors of the Qiqirns lived a nomadic life in the northern lands. Even today, remnants of the Qiqirn’s ancient lifestyle may be seen in their unique customs, such as their sheep-led wagon homes, their leather clothing, and their habit of carrying their valuables with them at all times.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Qiqirns are swift on their feet and eager to build relationship but are not aware of their surroundings very much. They gain +2 Dexterity,+2 Charisma, and -2 Wisdom.
- Size: Qiqirns are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Qiqirns are Humanoid creatures with the qiqirn subtype.
- Base Speed: Qiqirns have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Qiqirns begin play speaking Common and Qiqirn. Qiqirns with high Intelligence scores can choose Aquan, Draconic, Kindred, Orc, Terran, and Yagudo.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Curiosity: Qiqirns are naturally inquisitive about the world around them. They gain a +4 bonus on Diplomacy checks to gather information, and Knowledge (history) and Knowledge (local) become class skills for them. If they choose a class that has either of these Knowledge skills as class skills, they gain a +2 racial bonus on those skills instead.
- Silver Tongued: Unlike other races of Beastmen, Qiqirns are very talkative and eager to sell wares and set up trades with everyone and gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff checks. In addition, when they use Diplomacy to shift a creature’s attitude, they can do so up to three steps up rather than just two.
- Sociable: When Qiqirns talk, they can go on and on attempting to wiggle their way in a chance to earn more respect with a person or beastmen (regardless how annoying they might be). Qiqirns that try to change a creature’s attitude with a Diplomacy check and fail by 5 or more can try to influence the creature a second time even if 24 hours have not passed.
Movement Racial Traits
- Sprinter: Qiqirns gain a 10-foot racial bonus to their speed when using the charge, run, or withdraw actions.
Offense Racial Traits
- Claws: Qiqirns have rat-like nails and receive a pair of claws they can use as natural weapons. These claws are primary attacks that deal 1d4 points of damage.
Senses Racial Traits
- Scent: Qiqirns gain the scent ability.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Hardy: Qiqirns living filthy places have gained a resistance against poisons and diseases. Qiqirns with this racial trait gain a +3 racial bonus on saving throws against poisons and diseases (both magical and non-magical). This racial trait replaces curiosity.
- Rodent Empathy: Qiqirns have a knack for talking to and taking care of other rodents of the lesser non talking race and gain a +4 bonus on Handle Animal checks made to influence rodents. This racial trait replaces sociable.
- Scavenger: Qiqirns will look all over for all and any type of shinies to sell to anyone and gain a +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Perception checks to find hidden objects (including traps and secret doors), determine whether food is spoiled, or identify a potion by taste. This racial trait replaces curiosity.
Variant Qiqirn Heritages
Although many qiqirns follow the general model of the standard qiqirn, many more do not. Those of different lineages may evince dramatically different manifestations of their heritage, both in appearance and in ability. Here are 2 different potential heritages for qiqirn PCs. If you choose to use a specific bloodline instead of the general rules for creating a qiqirn, you should work with your GM to ensure that your character’s appearance reflects that bloodline.
- Alternate Skill Modifiers: While most qiqirns gain a +2 racial bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks, those of the variant heritages listed below gain a modifier to different skills.
Table: Variant Qiqirn Heritages
|Heritage||Ability Modifiers||Alternate Skill Modifier||Description|
|Leaf-Eater||+2 DEX, +2 WIS, -2 STR||Perception and Sense Motive||Have almost almost all of the remaining forests decimated by wars by the Garlean empire, the Leaf eaters have managed to cultivate a small area of land in the Last Forest. While the food grows the Leaf Eaters are a nomadic tribe that travels for their food and primarily eat vegetables and fruits and never meats. Where ever they go, they plant new vegetables and fruit as a way of thanking the land for its generosity so when they return, they may feast again and repeat.|
|Meat-Eater||+2 DEX, +2 INT, -2 WIS||Knowledge (Local) and Stealth||With the lack of food in Gyr Abania, these Qiqirn have set their eating patterns on flesh rather than foraging for food like their cousins of Qiqirn Leaf Eaters. Luring adventurers even their own kind in traps, the Meat eaters have been known to do anything to acquire their precise meat, including cannibalism. Eating meat has given them the glowing red eyes that you see now and has granted them with more aggressiveness and cleverness. Though they now seriously lack their charismatic counterparts.|
The following racial archetypes are available to the qiqirns:
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Bard: Add a +1/3 bonus on Diplomacy checks.
- Dancer: Add +1 to the dancer’s base speed. In combat this option has no effect unless the dancer has selected it five times (or another increment of five). This bonus stacks with the dancer’s fleet class feature and applies under the same conditions as that feature.
- Gambler: Add +1/2 to Knowledge (History) skill checks.
- Gunner: Add a +1/2 bonus on initiative checks when the gunner has at least 1 grit point.
- Monk: Add +1 to the monk’s base speed. In combat this option has no effect unless the monk has selected it five times (or another increment of five). This bonus stacks with the monk’s fast movement class feature and applies under the same conditions as that feature.
- Time Mage: Add 1/6 of a temporal talent. (One additional temporal talent for every six times you select this option.)