Racial Traits Race Point Cost
Type Humanoid (gnath) 0
Size Small 0
Base Speed Slow -1
Ability Score Modifiers Weakness (+2 Dex, +2 Wis, -4 Str) -1
Languages Xenophoic 0
Defense Natural Armor 2
Feat and Skill Skill bonus x2 (Craft alchemy, profession miner) 4
Feat and Skill Skill Training (Craft alchemy) 1
Magical Limited Telepathy 3
Movement Burrow 3
Offense Weapon Familiarity x2 2
Senses Carrion Sense 1
Senses Darkvision 2
Weakness Light Sensitivity -1
A tribe of insect-like beastmen known to inhabit the south region of the Dravanian Forelands. Having made remarkable advances in alchemy and metallurgy, these hunters have developed incense which deters Dravanian intruders, this preserving Gnath territory. They are also known as the Onemind as all Gnath are spiritually linked to their leader. Those whose link to this hive mind are broken become individual beings who are cast out form their own community as the Vath or Nonmind.
Though bipedal and humanoid in stance, their limbs are rather spindly, and the legs curve and twist similar to various arthropods, while their arms end in claws. Their heads notably have a dome-like structure that makes it resemble a kasa. A prominent set of mandibles can be seen. Concept art has shown what appears to be Gnath dwellings, towers resembling termite mounds.
The gnath are a warlike race, who are focused on expanding their territory. Unlike the other beastmen tribes, who generally summon their respective Primals out of desperation, the gnath summoned Ravana purely for the sake of conquest, hoping to use his power to take the lands held by the Dragons of Dravania.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: They are a weak race but a crafty and spiritual race. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom and -4 to Strength.
- Size: Gnaths are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on their combat maneuver checks and to Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Type: Gnaths are humanoids with the gnath subtype.
- Base Speed: Gnaths have a base speed of 20 feet and a 20-ft.-burrowing speed.
- Languages: Common and Undercommon. Gnaths with high Intelligence scores can choose from Antican, Common, Goblin and Yagudo.
Defense Racial Traits
- Exoskeleton: Gnaths have an exoskeleton that grants them a +1 natural armor bonus.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Crafty: Gnaths gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) and Profession (miner) checks. Craft (alchemy) is always a class skill for a gnath.
Magical Racial Traits
- Limited Telepathy: Gnaths are able to mentally communicate with any creature within 30 feet with whom they share a language.
Offense Racial Traits
- Weapon Familiarity: Gnaths are proficient with the scimitar, katana, light and heavy crossbows, and short bows.
Senses Racial Traits
- Carrion Sense: Gnaths have a natural ability to sniff out carrion. This functions like the scent ability, but only for corpses and badly wounded creatures (creatures with 25% or fewer hit points).
- Darkvision: Gnaths can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.
Weakness Racial Traits
- Light Sensitivity: Gnaths mostly live in dark tunnels which have caused them to suffer from light sensitivity.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Bite: Gnaths have a weak but useful and dangerous natural bite attack, dealing 1d4 points of damage. The bite is a primary attack, or a secondary attack if the creature is wielding manufactured weapons. This racial trait replaces carrion sense.
- Bond to the Land: Gnaths are quite familiar with mountainous areas and plains. They gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC when in combat within these areas. This racial trait replaces exoskeleton.
- Claws: Some gnaths have stronger and more developed claws than other members of their race, and can use them to make attacks. Gnaths with this racial trait have a pair of claws they can use as natural weapons. These claws are primary attacks that deal 1d3 points of damage. This racial trait replaces weapon familiarity.
- Day Raider: Some gnaths are born with a greater tolerance for sunlight. They lose light sensitivity and have low-light vision instead of darkvision. This racial trait replaces light sensitivity and darkvision.
- Echo Whistler: By observing the noises in underground tunnels, gnaths learn to uncannily mimic any voice or sound they have heard. Three times per day, gnaths with this trait can attempt to trick someone in this way by making a Bluff check against the listener’s Sense Motive check. Gnaths with this trait get a +2 circumstance bonus on this check if they’re in tunnels or other structures where their voice can echo. This racial trait replaces crafty.
- Improved Exoskeleton: Some gnaths are born with stronger exoskeletons and can take more physical abuse, they gain a +2 natural armor bonus. By taking this trait, the gnath’s exoskeleton is so thick that armor becomes difficult to wear and you have to add +50% to the cost of any armor you buy or build. This racial trait replaces exoskeleton.
- Swarming: Gnaths are used to living and fighting communally with other gnaths. Therefore, when ordered to go for food, they will go in massive armies and swam anyone and everyone, peeling flesh off of their bodies in order to bring it back for their leaders. Gnaths can occupy the same space as one other Small ally without penalty. If a gnath shares a space with another gnath who has this trait, each gnath gains a +1 circumstance bonus to AC, as they help jostle one another out of the way of incoming attacks. Gnaths also gain a +1 racial bonus on aid another rolls. This racial trait replaces crafty.
- Tempered: Those who are followers of their false God gain 5 Elemental Resistance (Earth). This racial trait replaces exoskeleton.
The following feats are available to a gnath character who meets the prerequisites.
The following racial archetypes are available to gnaths:
- Swarm Fighter (Fighter; Gnath)
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Black Mage: Add a +1 bonus on concentration checks made due to taking damage while casting black mage spells.
- Chemist: Add +1/2 to bomb damage.
- Dark Knight: Add +1/2 hit point to the dark knight’s harm touch ability (whether using it to heal or harm).
- Fighter: Add a +1/2 circumstance bonus to confirm critical hits when attacking with weapons from the close or light blade weapon groups (maximum bonus +4). This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus.
- Illusionist: Add +1/6 to the DC of illusion spells.
- Sword Saint: Add a +1/4 of an additional use of the warleader ability.