|Racial Traits||Race Point Cost|
|Ability Score Modifiers||Standard (+2 Dex, +2 Wis, –2 Con)||1|
|Defense||Energy Resistance (Earth)||1|
|Feat and Skill||Camouflage||1|
|Magical||Lesser Spell-Like Ability||1|
|Movement||Terrain Stride (forest)||1|
|Weakness||Elemental Vulnerability (Fire)||-2|
|Weakness||Weakened by Cold||-2|
The enigmatic mandragora were first observed in the aftermath of the Seventh Umbral Era. It is not known whence they came, or if they even existed prior to the Calamity. They resemble a small, wide-
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Mandragoras are quick and agile, while also wiser than they look, but their plant-
like bodies are frail. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, and –2 Constitution.
- Type: Humanoid Plant: Mandragoras are unique creatures, possessing traits of both humanoids and plants. A mandragora is treated as both humanoid and plant for the purposes of effects that target a specific type of creature. Unlike most plants, a mandragora is not immune to mind-
affecting effects, poison, paralysis, polymorph, or stunning.
- Size: Mandragoras are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Base Speed: Mandragoras have a base speed of 20 feet.
- Languages: Mandragoras begin play speaking Common and Mandragoran. Mandragoras with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Draconic, Dwarven, Elvaan, Galkan, Giant, Goblin, and Sylvan. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Elemental Resistance: With such an attachment to the earth, mandragoras don’t take as much damage from it. Mandragoras gain resistance 5 against earth damage.
- Hydrated Vitality: Mandragoras gain fast healing 2 for 1 round anytime they submerge completely within a body of natural salt water, fresh water, or brackish water. Stagnant, poisoned, or trapped water (such as water within an artificial pit or a bag of holding) does not activate this ability. Mandragoras can heal up to 2 hit points per level per day with this ability, after which it ceases to function.
- Natural Armor: Their plant-
like nature has gifted mandragoras with a fibrous, stiff skin much like bark. This grants them a +1 natural armor bonus.
- Plant Resistance: While technically a plant, a mandragora has more in common with most humanoids. They gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-
affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), paralysis, poison, and polymorph effects. They are immune to sleep effects.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Camouflage: Mandragoras gain a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks while in marshes or forested terrains.
Magical Racial Traits
- In Tune with the Earth: Mandragoras are treated as 1 level higher when casting spells with the earth descriptor. This ability does not give mandragoras early access to level-
based powers; it only affects powers that they could already use without this ability.
Like Ability (Su): Mandragoras can use photosynthesis once per day as a spell- like ability (caster level equal to the mandragora’s class level.
Movement Racial Traits
- Terrain Stride: Mandragoras ignore natural difficult terrain within forests and move at their normal speed within said environments. Magically altered terrain affects them normally.
Offense Racial Traits
- Shriek: Once per day as a standard action, a mandragora can give voice to an unsettling shriek. All creatures within a 30-
foot spread of a shrieking mandragora must make a Will save (DC 10 + half of the mandragora’s character level + its Wisdom modifier) or become nauseated for 1d4 rounds. This is a sonic, mind- affecting ability.
Other Racial Traits
- Bioluminescence: At will, a mandragora can cause any part of his body to glow, giving off light as a torch.
- Sunlight Sustenance: A mandragora does not eat food, but must consume water like all living things. As long as it receives at least six hours of sunlight per day, a mandragora requires only 1/4th the water a normal humanoid would. A mandragora deprived of adequate sunlight for more than two days at a time becomes fatigued until it gets at least six hours of sunlight. If it does not get sunlight for more than a week, it becomes exhausted until it gets at least six hours of sunlight. A one hour exposure to a daylight spell will fulfill a mandragora’s daily needs.
Senses Racial Traits
Light Vision: Mandragoras can see twice as far as humes in conditions of dim light.
Weakness Racial Traits
- Temperature Vulnerability: A mandragora has trouble regulating its body temperature. Mandragoras have a –
4 penalty to Fortitude saves made against environmental effects.
- Vulnerable to Fire: Mandragoras take 150% as much damage as normal from fire attacks, unless they are immune to fire via other special defenses.
- Weakened by Cold: As the winter slows the growth of trees, it also tires and weakens the mandragora. If a mandragora suffers ice damage, it withers and wilts, needing to make a Fortitude save equal to 10 + the half the damage suffered. Failure to save means the mandragora is staggered for 1 round.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Buoyant: Mandragoras with this racial trait lived by the water. They gain a +4 competence bonus to Swim checks and a 20-foot swim speed. This racial trait replaces camouflage and in tune with the earth.
- Burned One: You survived a forest fire or being struck by lightning. You gain your choice of fire or lightning resistance 5. Once chosen, this choice cannot be changed. This racial trait replaces plant resistance and vulnerable to fire.
- Cactuar Kin: Your clan’s ancestors were desert-
dwelling cactuars. The whole of your body is covered with small spines. When you are struck with a natural weapon or unarmed strike, your opponent suffers 1d3 points of piercing damage. You also deal this damage to your opponent each round while grappling. This racial trait replaces plant resistance.
- Dark Root: Your lineage is more closely related to tubers and other root plants than to soaring sequoia or grand oaks. You gain darkvision 60 feet and a burrow speed of 15 feet. This racial trait replaces low-
light vision and bioluminescence.
- Evergreen: You grew up in harsh climates, where the winds were harsh and the cold biting, but that only served to numb those pains. You gain your choice of ice or wind resistance 5. Once chosen, this choice cannot be changed. This racial trait replaces plant resistance and weakened by cold.
- Malboro Kin: Your clan’s ancestors were the poison-spewing Malboro. You have Water Resistance 5, and you exude a powerful stench, causing creatures who share a square with you, have swallowed you whole or creatures with Scent who are within 10 feet, must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of the Mandragora’s character level + its Constitution modifier) or become Sickened for 1 round. Creatures who make the save become immune to this ability for 24 hours. This is a Poison effect. This racial trait replaces elemental resistance and plant resistance.
- Pestilent: Your lineage began in a stagnant swamp. You gain immunity against poison and disease. This racial trait replaces plant resistance.
- Photosynthetic Regrowth: A mandragora with this racial trait recovers lost hit points every hour rather than every day as long as it remains in direct sunlight for the entire hour. This racial trait replaces natural armor.
- Pithy Toughness: Mandragoras with this racial trait gain Toughness as a bonus feat. This racial trait replaces plant resistance.
- Thick Bark: Mandragoras with this racial trait have a thicker skin around their bodies. They gain a +1 racial bonus to Fortitude saves and a +2 save bonus vs. fire attacks. This racial trait replaces plant resistance and vulnerable to fire.
Variant Mandragora Heritages
Although many mandragoras follow the general model of the standard mandragora, many more do not. Those of different lineages may evince dramatically different manifestations of their heritage, both in appearance and in ability. Here are 5 different potential heritages for mandragora PCs. If you choose to use a specific bloodline instead of the general rules for creating a mandragora, you should work with your GM to ensure that your character’s appearance reflects that bloodline.
- Alternate Spell-Like Ability: While most mandragoras gain Photosynthesis as a spell-like ability, those of the variant heritages listed below gain a different spell-like ability.
Table: Variant Mandragora Heritages
|Heritage||Ability Modifiers||Alternate Spell-Like Ability||Description|
|Alraune||+2 DEX, +2 INT, -2 WIS||Magic Fang||A curiously sentient plant-like creature favoring warm climes, both tropical and arid. The horns on their heads are used for cracking rock-salt, from which they draw the salinity that sustains their life.|
|Killer Tomato||+2 DEX, +2 WIS, -2 INT||Blood Drain||Being a mandragora with a head like a red tomato. Hailing from the eastern highlands, changing climates brought them down to the lowlands.|
|Korrigan||+2 DEX, +2 INT, -2 CON||Engulfing Winds||Korrigans are absolutely inkorrigible to the... uh, kore. They're the real reason you shouldn't garden after the sun goes down.|
|Pumpkin Head||+2 DEX, +2 CHA, -2 CON||Pumpkin Head||Pumpkin Heads live in the manner of men, and exhibits a personality startlingly similar to ours. It is richly expressive, and fond of making hideous faces - this same playfulness illustrated by the pumpkin mask it wears upon its head.|
|Wild Onion||+2 DEX, +2 CHA, -2 WIS||Sickening Breath||Wild Onions wear its skin in layers, much like to the root of similar name, perhaps for the proffering of protection against the cold.|
The following feats are available to a mandragora character who meets the prerequisites.
- Cactuar Affinity
- Deep Roots
- Malboro Affinity
- One with Wood
- Paragon Mandragoran
- Sun Loving
- Tangle Feet
The following racial archetypes are available to mandragoras:
- Tree Guardian (Beastmaster; Mandragora)
- Verdant Rider (Chocobo Knight, Mandragora)
- Verdant Striker (Geomancer; Mandragora)
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Archer: Add +1/2 on critical hit confirmation rolls for attacks made with bows or crossbows (maximum bonus of +4). This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus feat.
- Beastmaster: Add +1/2 to the damage dealt by the beastmaster’s animal companion’s natural attacks.
- Chocobo Knight: Add +1 foot to the chocobo knight’s mount’s base speed. This option has no effect unless the chocobo knight has selected it 5 times (or another increment of 5); a speed of 54 feet is effectively a speed of 50 feet, for example. If the chocobo knight ever replaces his mount, the new companion gains this base speed bonus.
- Geomancer: Add +1/2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) skill checks.
- Gunner: Add +1/4 to the dodge bonus to AC granted by the nimble class feature (maximum +4).
- Holy Knight: Add +1/2 hit point to the holy knight’s lay on hands ability (whether using it to heal or harm).
- Thief: Add +1/3 on critical hit confirmation rolls made while using sneak attack (maximum bonus of +5). This does not stack with the Critical Focus feat.
- White Mage: Add +1/2 hit point to the white mage’s lay on hands ability (whether using it to heal or harm).