|Racial Traits||Race Point Cost|
|Ability Score Modifiers||Standard||0|
|Feat and Skill||Minor Shards of the Past||2|
|Feat and Skill||Craftsman||1|
|Offense||Prehensile Tail (Trunk)||2|
|Offense||Natural attack (gore)||1|
Matangas are indigenous to the isle of Thavnair, and founded the city-state of Radz-at-Han together with Au Ra and Hyur migrants. Their bulky frames belie their deftness of hand, and their thirst for knowledge has led many to pursue mastery of the alchemic arts.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Matangas are hardy and smart, but not too nimble. They gain +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, and -2 Dexterity.
- Size: Matangas are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Matangas are humanoids with the Matanga subtype.
- Base Speed: Matangas have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Matangas begin play speaking Common and Matanga. Matangas with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Dwarven, Elvaan, Giant, Goblin, Lalafellan, and Orc. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Hardy: Matangas receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
- Powerful Build: The physical stature of Matangas lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a Matanga is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for a Combat Maneuver Bonus or Combat Maneuver Defense (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Matanga is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Matanga is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as grab or swallow whole) can affect him. The benefits of this racial trait doesn’t stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Stability: Matangas receive a +4 bonus to their combat maneuver defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Academic: Matangas receive a +2 racial bonus on a Knowledge skill of their choice. This knowledge skill count as class skills for the matangas.
- Craftsman: Matangas are excellent craftsman. They gain a +2 racial bonus to Craft checks.
Offense Racial Traits
- Dexterous Trunk: Matangas have a long, flexible trunk that can be used to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their trunks, but they can retrieve small, stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action.
- Powerful Tusks: Matangas have powerful tusks that they can gore people with, granting a gore attack as a natural weapon that deals 1d6 points of damage.
Senses Racial Traits
- Low-Light Vision: Matangas have low-light vision allowing them to see twice as far as humes in dim light.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Battle-Hardened: Incessant drills make defense second nature to some Matangas. Matangas with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus to CMD. This racial trait replaces stability.
- Ferocity: Once per day, when a Matanga is brought below 0 hit points but not killed, he can fight on for 1 more round as if disabled. At the end of his next turn, unless brought to above 0 hit points, he immediately falls unconscious and begins dying. This racial trait replaces stability.
- Stoic: Some Matangas learn to suppress their strong emotions. They don’t usually gain morale bonuses, but instead gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against emotion and fear effects, and the DC to intimidate them increases by 2. They can choose to gain morale bonuses when they would normally be able to do so, but if they do, they lose the benefits from this racial trait for 24 hours. This racial trait replaces academic.
Variant Matanga Heritages
Although many Matangas follow the general model of the standard Matanga, many more do not. Those of different lineages may evince dramatically different manifestations of their heritage, both in appearance and in ability. Here are 3 different potential heritages for Matanga PCs. If you choose to use a specific bloodline instead of the general rules for creating a Matanga, you should work with your GM to ensure that your character’s appearance reflects that bloodline.
- Alternate Skill Modifiers: While most Matangas gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft checks, those of the variant heritages listed below gain a modifier to different skill
Table: Variant Matanga Heritages
|Heritage||Ability Modifiers||Alternate Skill Modifiers||Description|
|Arkasodara||+2 CON, +2 WIS, -2 DEX||Diplomacy||Arkasodara live as tradesmen and carry an interest in all things academic.|
|Gajasura||+2 STR, +2 INT, -2 CHA||Survival||The Gajasura survive the Azim Steppe as nomads, living mostly within the mountains rather than the main steppe.|
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Beastmaster: Add +1/2 to the damage dealt by the beastmaster’s animal companion’s natural attacks.
- Blue Mage: Add +1/6 bonus to Knowledge (all) skill checks.
- Chemist: The chemist gains +1/6 of a new discovery.
- Knight: Add +1 to the knight’s total number of defensive stance rounds per day.
- Medic: The medic gains +1/6 of a new medical practice.