The Garleans’ forebears were once humble farmers who made their home among the sun-drenched fields of southern Ilsabard. That was, until they were driven from this paradise by invaders wielding arcane magicks. Forced from their home, the survivors sought a means to tap into the reservoir of aether otherwise closed to them. A daring few found their answer within the void, binding themselves to its creatures to gain power. This power is fed by the souls of the slain. They once more took up their scythes with their void avatar partners, but this time, to reap a crimson harvest.
The reaper is an archetype of the dark knight class.
Archetype Main Ability Scores:
The reaper mainly focuses on STR for martial combat and CHA for his class features.
Archetype Feature Replacements:
1st – Weapon and Armor Proficiency, Limit Break (Living Dead), Harm Touch, Grit Stance. 2nd – Abyssal Arts, First into Battle. 3rd – Shared Offense, Defile. 11th – Aura of Cowardice. 13th – Aura of Despair. 14th – Dark Emissary. 15th – Shadow Wall. 16th – Enervating Touch. 17th – Aura of Quietus. 19th – Aura of Rage. 20th – Dark Champion.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
The reaper is proficient with all simple weapons and the scythe and with all armor (light, medium, and heavy) but not with any shields.
This ability modifies the dark knight’s starting weapon and armor proficiencies.
Limit Break (Su)
At 1st level, the reaper receives the Limit Break (Arcane Circle).
Arcane Circle (Su): This Limit Break causes any attacks the reaper makes that successfully hits to heal him. For the duration of 1 round + 1 round per four dark knight levels after 1st, the reaper heals for 1d6 points of damage + an additional 1d6 points of damage per four dark knight levels after 1st whenever the reaper makes a successful attack. Each successful attack deals additional damage equal to the amount healed. This limit break requires only a swift action.
This ability replaces the Limit Break (Living Dead).
Stamina Pool (Ex)
At 1st level, the reaper gains a reservoir of stamina that he can draw upon to fuel his talents that he gains below. This stamina pool has a number of points equal to 5 x his Constitution modifier (minimum 1) and this pool increases by 5 + his Constitution modifier per level thereafter. The pool refreshes once per day when the reaper rests for a full 8 hours. Sustained modes take up a static amount of stamina points from the reaper’s current and maximum stamina pool and most sustained modes stack. If the character has a stamina pool from another class, he then only increases his stamina pool by 5 + his Constitution modifier per level instead.
Some talents are activated as a sustained mode. When activated, these talents both consume stamina and reduce the user’s maximum stamina by the listed amount. While active, they provide their listed bonuses until the user deactivates them as a free action, falls unconscious, or dies, at which point the reduction to the user’s maximum stamina is removed. Multiple sustained mode talents may be used at the same time as long as the user has enough stamina, though some talents may specify others that they cannot be used with.
By spending 5 stamina points, the reaper can do one of the following:
- Increase his speed by 10 feet for 1 round, or
- Delay and suppress his fatigue or exhaustion for 1 round, or
- Increase one saving throw by +1 for 1 round.
Each of these powers is activated as a swift action.
This ability replaces harm touch.
Scythe Mastery (Ex)
At 1st level, a reaper gains mastery with a scythe. He gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls with a scythe he wields. The bonus improves by +1 for every four dark knight levels beyond 1st.
This ability replaces grit stance and first into battle.
Lemurian Discipline (Su)
The reaper gains access to the reaping and shroud talent trees from below. At 2nd level and every two levels thereafter, the reaper may choose to learn one talent from below. Weapon Requirement: A scythe.
Reaping Talent Tree
- Slice: At a cost of 10 stamina points, as a standard action, the reaper can strike at his opponent with devastating force. The reaper deals double weapon damage and may add double his Strength bonus on the damage roll.
- Waxing Slice: Slice also inflicts Dimmed status unless the target makes a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of the dark knight’s level + his Charisma modifier) for 1 round. Prerequisite: Slice.
- Infernal Slice: At a cost of 30 stamina points, as a free action, Slice now can be used as a full-round action, making a number of attacks he’s entitled to with a full attack. Prerequisites: Slice, Waxing Slice.
- Spinning Scythe: At a cost of 20 stamina points, as a full-round action, the reaper can strike all enemies within his reach. The reaper makes a separate attack roll for each enemy at his highest base attack bonus, dealing double weapon damage and may add double his Strength bonus on the damage roll. Prerequisite: Slice.
- Nightmare Scythe: Spinning Scythe now costs 20 extra stamina points and deals triple weapon damage and gains an additional 5-ft. of reach. Prerequisites: Slice, Spinning Scythe.
- Death’s Design: At a cost of 5 stamina points, as a swift action, the reaper can mark an enemy he can see. Until the end of the encounter, or the marked enemy is killed, the reaper deals 1d6 precision damage on successful attacks against the marked target, gaining an amount of stamina equal to half the precision damage (minimum 1) dealt by this talent up to his maximum stamina pool. Stamina gained from this talent is only once per enemy each round.
- Whorl of Death: Death’s Design may mark as many enemies he can see, costing 5 stamina points per target. Prerequisite: Death’s Design.
- Soulsow: Once per round, while the reaper has Darkside active and successfully deals damage to an enemy marked by Death’s Design, he heals an amount of hit points equal to his damage bonus from Darkside. Prerequisite: Death’s Design.
- Harvest Moon: Once per round, when the reaper deals damage with Soul Eater against an enemy marked by Death’s Design, he heals for half the shadow damage dealt. Prerequisites: Death’s Design, Soulsow.
- Plentiful Harvest: As a swift action, the reaper may activate this talent as a sustained mode. Whenever the reaper would deal shadow damage from any source while Darkside is active, he heals for half the shadow damage dealt, except for the damage of Soul Eater. This mode uses up 20 stamina points of the reaper’s current and maximum stamina pool. Prerequisites: Death’s Design, Soulsow, Harvest Moon.
Shroud Talent Tree
- Tempered Soul: As long as the reaper has at least 1 stamina point in his stamina pool, his caster level is his dark knight level for spells with the range of personal.
- Avatar’s Strength: As long as the reaper has at least 1 stamina point in his stamina pool and at least 1 MP, he may use Strength in place of Dexterity for ranged touch attacks. Prerequisite: Tempered Soul.
- Enhanced Avatar: Tempered Soul now works on spells with the range of touch. Prerequisite: Tempered Soul.
- Enshroud: As a swift action, the reaper may activate this talent as a sustained mode. He can treat any damage he deals as shadow damage. This mode uses up 10 stamina points of the reaper’s current and maximum stamina pool. Prerequisites: Tempered Soul, Avatar’s Strength.
- Blood Stalk: At a cost of 15 stamina points, as a standard action, the reaper can summon his void avatar to strike. The reaper makes a melee touch attack with his scythe to deal double weapon damage as shadow damage.
- Gluttony: Blood Stalk now makes two melee touch attacks and in addition is able to double his Strength bonus on the damage roll. Prerequisite: Blood Stalk.
- Communio: As long as the reaper has at least 1 stamina point in his stamina pool and he is not at full health, his attacks grow stronger. Whenever the reaper would damage an enemy, he may treat his scythe as having the vicious weapon special ability, even if the weapon does not have an enhancement bonus. Prerequisites: Blood Stalk, Gluttony.
- Cross Reaping: At a cost of 15 stamina points, as a free action, Blood Stalk now can be used as a full-round action, making a number of attacks he’s entitled to with a full attack. Prerequisites: Blood Stalk, Gluttony.
- Void Reaping: As long as the reaper has at least 1 stamina point in his stamina pool, each time he kills an enemy, their void avatar is replenished. The reaper gains 5 stamina points for every enemy death. Prerequisites: Blood Stalk, Gluttony.
- Lemure’s Slice: As a swift action, the reaper may activate this talent as a sustained mode. The critical hit range of his scythe is increased by 1. This stacks with Improved Critical and similar abilities and is calculated before all other modifiers. This mode uses up 20 stamina points of the reaper’s current and maximum stamina pool. Prerequisites: Blood Stalk, Gluttony, Cross Reaping, Void Reaping.
This ability replaces abyssal arts.
Starting at 3rd level, when the reaper would spend hit points on class features, such as Darkside and Soul Eater, he may gain an amount of stamina equal to 1/4th the hit points (minimum of 1) spent up to his maximum stamina pool.
This ability replaces shared offense.
Beginning at 3rd level, a reaper can call upon his void avatar to unleash an attack on an enemy. This is a ranged touch attack with a 30-ft. range that deals 1d6 shadow damage for every three dark knight levels he possesses. A reaper can use this ability a number of times equal to half his dark knight level + his Charisma modifier.
This ability replaces defile, dark emissary, and enervating touch.
Soul Scythe (Su)
Starting at 9th level, a reaper is able to cleave into a target’s very being to bring out their life force. The reaper can activate this as a free action before an attack is made, and if the attack hits, it is a confirmed critical hit. The reaper may use this ability once per day at 9th level and an additional time per day at 14th and 19th level.
This ability replaces aura of cowardice, shadow wall, and aura of rage.
Lemurian Shroud (Su)
At 13th level, the reaper’s worn armor may be treated as having the dread spikes armor special ability, even if it does not have an enhancement bonus. At 17th level, his armor can also be treated as having the umbral spikes armor special ability.
This ability replaces aura of despair and aura of quietus.
Grim Reaping (Su)
At 20th level, the reaper becomes a conduit for the abyss. When he uses a lemurian discipline to damage a creature, he deals the maximum amount possible.
This ability replaces dark champion.