Hermetics are unpredictable experts specializing in using alchemical mixtures that wreathe them in frost, flame, or lightning. Fast, chaotic, and possibly mad, they wade into the fight and dare enemies to face the storm.
The hermetic is an archetype of the chemist class.
Stamina Pool (Ex)
At 2nd level, the hermetic gains a reservoir of stamina that he can draw upon to fuel his talents that he gains below. This stamina pool has a number of points equal to 5 x his Constitution modifier (minimum 1) and this pool increases by 5 + his Constitution modifier per level thereafter. The pool refreshes once per day when the hermetic rests for a full 8 hours. Sustained modes take up a static amount of stamina points from the hermetic’s current and maximum stamina pool and most sustained modes stack. If the character has a stamina pool from another class, he then only increases his stamina pool by 5 + his Constitution modifier per level instead.
Some talents are activated as a sustained mode. When activated, these talents both consume stamina and reduce the user’s maximum stamina by the listed amount. While active, they provide their listed bonuses until the user deactivates them as a free action, falls unconscious, or dies, at which point the reduction to the user’s maximum stamina is removed. Multiple sustained mode talents may be used at the same time as long as the user has enough stamina, though some talents may specify others that they cannot be used with.
By spending 5 stamina points, the hermetic can do one of the following:
- Increase his speed by 10 feet for 1 round, or
- Delay and suppress his fatigue or exhaustion for 1 round, or
- Increase one saving throw by +1 for 1 round.
Each of these powers is activated as a swift action.
This ability replaces throw alchemical item.
Talent Trees (Su)
The hermetic gets access to the tempest talent tree from below. At 2nd level and every two levels thereafter, the hermetic may choose to learn one talent from below or a discovery taken from the chemist’s discovery list. Weapon Requirement: Any weapons.
Tempest Specialization Talent Tree
- Flask of Frost: At a cost of 10 stamina points, as a swift action, the hermetic coats himself with an icy skin. For a number of rounds equal to the hermetic’s Intelligence modifier, he gains a +2 natural armor bonus to AC and any successful melee attacks on him causes enemies to be inflicted with the Frozen status unless they make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of the chemist’s level + his Intelligence modifier). Can only have 1 Flask ability active.
- Frostbite: Flask of Frost increases the natural armor bonus to AC by 2 and now inflicts 1d6 points of ice damage on successful attacks on the hermetic. Prerequisite: Flask of Frost
- Bitter Chill: Flask of Frost increases the damage by an additional 1d6 points of ice damage and now also inflicts Shaken status if they fail the Fortitude save. Prerequisites: Flask of Frost, Frostbite
- Flask of Fire: At a cost of 10 stamina points, as a swift action, the hermetic coats himself with a fiery skin. For a number of rounds equal to the hermetic’s Intelligence modifier, he deals 1d6 points of fire damage to foes that successfully strike him in melee range and are inflicted with the Burning status unless they make a successful Reflex save (DC 10 + half of the chemist’s level + his Intelligence modifier). Can only have 1 Flask ability active.
- Unquenchable Flames: Flask of Flames increases the damage by an additional 1d6 points of fire damage and the Burning status effect cannot be removed unless dispelled or until the duration runs out. Prerequisite: Flask of Fire
- Flaming Chain: Creatures affected by the Burning status effect from Flask of Fire now inflict this status effect on any creature except the hermetic that are adjacent to them unless they make the Reflex save. Prerequisites: Flask of Fire, Unquenchable Flames
- Flask of Lightning: At a cost of 15 stamina points, as a swift action, the hermetic coats himself with lightning speed. For a number of rounds equal to the hermetic’s Intelligence modifier, he gains the benefit of the Haste status. Can only have 1 Flask ability active.
- Stormrage: Flask of Lightning now causes creatures who successfully strike the hermetic in melee combat to take 1d6 points of lightning damage. In addition, creatures are knocked back 5 feet unless they make a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of the chemist’s level + his Intelligence modifier). Prerequisite: Flask of Lightning
- Killer’s Alchemy: As a swift action, the hermetic may activate this talent as a sustained mode. While under any Flask ability, the hermetic’s bombs do an additional 1d6 (or 2d6 if under 2 Flask ability effects) points of damage of the appropriate element. This mode uses up 10 stamina points of the hermetic’s current and maximum stamina pool. Prerequisites: Flask of Frost, Flask of Fire, Flask of Lightning
- Flaskmaster: As long as the hermetic has at least 1 stamina point in his stamina pool, he can have 2 Flask abilities active at once. Prerequisites: Flask of Frost, Flask of Fire, Flask of Lightning, Killer’s Alchemy
These abilities may replace discoveries.