|Racial Traits||Race Point Cost|
|Ability Score Modifiers||Weakness (+2 Dex, +2 Wis, –2 Cha, -2 Con)||-1|
|Defense||Energy Resistance x2 (wind and lightning)||2|
|Feat and Skill||Skill bonus (Perception)||2|
|Movement||Flight x3 (50ft average)||8|
The aegyl resemble humes, except they have large feathery wings on their back. These wings can come in different colors, from brown to red to black. These wings allow the aegyl to fly with no problems. However, the strain they put on their body means they have the shortest life span of any race in Ivalice, only living for forty years. All aegyl are cold and aloof. They are either incapable at showing emotions, or do not feel them at all. The aegyl are not too keen on other races, since most of the Sky Pirates who arrived either attacked or enslaved them. Aegyl make their home in many stone edifices erected over several of Lemurés’s continents. These homes were built by the first generation of aegyl to reach Lemurés following their banishment by the Occuria. Successive generations have elected to inhabit these century-
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Aegyls are very agile and possess an aptitude for tactics, but have a weaker bone structure than other humanoids and are very cold and aloof. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, –
2 Constitution and – 2 Charisma.
- Size: Aegyls are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Aegyls are Humanoid creatures with the aegyl subtype.
- Base Speed: Aegyls have a base speed of 30 feet on land. They also have a fly speed of 50 feet (average), as long as they do not carry more than a Medium load, are not wearing heavy armor, and are not fatigued or exhausted. If aegyls carry a heavy load or wear heavy armor, their flight speed drops to 30 feet with poor maneuverability (-
4 penalty on Fly checks). An aegyl’s wing span is typically 12 feet, and cannot fly in an area that does not allow them to fully extend their wings.
- Languages: Aegyls begin play speaking Common and Aegyllan. Aegyl with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Draconic, Dwarven, Elvaan, Galkan, Giant, Goblin, and Orc. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Elemental Resistance: Aegyls have wind and lightning elemental resistance 5.
- Eternal Hope: Aegyls gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against fear and despair effects. Also, once per day, after a natural roll of 1 on a d20 roll, aegyls gain the lucky status effect for this one roll.
- Illusion Resistance: Aegyls gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusion spells or effects.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Keen Senses: Aegyls receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
Senses Racial Traits
Light Vision: An aegyl can see twice as far as a hume in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Weakness Racial Traits
- Emotionless: Aegyls are cold and aloof. They do not like dealing with other races other than their own. They receive a –
2 penalty on Diplomacy checks when dealing with other races.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Oppressive: Aegyls often have a natural talent for sensing how to unsettle and oppress other creatures. As a swift action, an aegyl can attempt a Sense Motive check against a DC of 10 + a creature’s Hit Dice + its Charisma modifier or a DC of 10 + the creature’s Bluff modifier, whichever is higher. On a success, the aegyl gains a +4 racial bonus on Intimidate checks against that target and a +1 racial bonus to the DC of any fear effects she uses against that target. This racial trait replaces keen senses and emotionless.
- Weather Savvy: Some aegyls are so in tune with the air and sky that they can sense the slightest change in atmospheric conditions. Aegyls with this trait can spend a full-
round action to predict the weather in an area for the next 24 hours. The aegyl’s prediction is always accurate, but cannot account for spells or supernatural effects that might alter the forecast. This racial trait replaces the aegyl’s keen senses racial trait.
Clipped: The flight of wing- clipped aegyl is weaker than normal, whether from deformity or injury. Their fly speed is 20 feet (poor) instead of the normal fly speed, and they must make a DC 30 Fly check to fly upward. Ostracized by their own race and forced to deal with other races, these aegyl compensate for their weakness by gaining a +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Climb, and Diplomacy checks and removes the aegyl’s emotionless racial trait.
The following feats are available to an aegyl character who meets the prerequisites.
The following racial archetypes are available to aegyls:
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Beastmaster: Add +1 to an animal companion’s CMD when adjacent to the beastmaster. If the beastmaster ever replaces his animal companion, the new animal companion gains this bonus.
- Berserker: Add +1 to the berserker’s total number of rage rounds per day.
- Dragoon: Add +1/2 bonus to Acrobatic skill checks for jumping.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter’s CMD when resisting a disarm or sunder attempt.
- Geomancer: Add +1/2 to wind spell or spell-
like ability damage.
- Monk: Add +1/4 point to the monk’s ki pool.
- Thief: Add +1/3 on critical hit confirmation rolls made while using sneak attack (maximum bonus of +5). This does not stack with the Critical Focus feat.
- White Mage: Add a +1/2 bonus on Knowledge (planes) checks relating to the Plane of Air and creatures with the air subtype.