It takes incredible focus to wield magic, but even greater will to withstand it. The archon originated with the establishment of the order, and their mandate remains the restriction and containment of mages. But the abilities archons command are not divine; they are the product of intense training and rigorous devotions. These are achievable by any paladin, although the discipline required may seem just as much a calling. Archons don’t just endure magic, they deny it, and deny others the use of it. At the height of ability, an archon simply shrugs off most harmful effects, and can completely suppress a mage’s ability to cast. They are paladins of singular focus, and none can match their dedication or effectiveness at taming those who would abuse the magical energies.
The archon is an archetype of the paladin class.
Archetype Main Ability Scores:
The archon mainly focuses on STR for martial combat and CHA for their class features.
Stamina Pool (Ex)
At 2nd level, the archon gains a reservoir of stamina that he can draw upon to fuel his talents that he gains below. This stamina pool has a number of points equal to half his paladin level + his Constitution modifier (minimum 1). The pool refreshes once per day when the archon rests for a full 8 hours. Sustained modes take up a static amount of stamina points from the archon’s current and maximum stamina pool and most sustained modes stack.
Some talents are activated as a sustained mode. When activated, these talents both consume stamina and reduce the user’s maximum stamina by the listed amount. While active, they provide their listed bonuses until the user deactivates them as a free action, falls unconscious, or dies, at which point the reduction to the user’s maximum stamina is removed. Multiple sustained mode talents may be used at the same time as long as the user has enough stamina, though some talents may specify others that they cannot be used with.
By spending 1 stamina point as a swift action, the archon can do one of the following:
- Increase his speed by 10 feet for 1 round, or
- Delay and suppress his fatigue or exhaustion for 1 round, or
- Increase one saving throw by +1 for 1 round.
This ability replaces shared defense.
Talent Trees (Su)
The archon gets access to the talent tree from the archon talent tree from below. At 3rd level and every two levels thereafter, the archon chooses to learn one talent from the talent tree below. The archon may pick up Extra Blessing feats to select these talents. Weapon Requirement: Any manufactured weapons.
Archon Specialization Talent Tree
- Cleanse: At a cost of 2 stamina points, as a standard action, the archon purges the area of hostile magic, removing hostile magical effects from the party from enemies across an area of the battlefield. The archon makes a 1d20 + character level roll against a DC of 10 + the spellcaster’s character level for each hostile spell effect within a 15-ft.-radius of the archon. For each successful roll, each hostile spell effect are dispelled.
- Cleansing Wave: Cleanse now purges a larger area of effect, increasing the radius by another 15 feet. Prerequisite: Cleanse.
- Lasting Cleanse: Cleanse also has a chance to block enemies from using spells or talents for a short time. Enemies within the area of effect must make a Will save (DC 10 + half of the paladin’s level + his Charisma modifier) or be unable to cast any spells or use any talents for the round. Prerequisite: Cleanse.
- Silence: At a cost of 1 stamina point, as a standard action, the archon surrounds a foe within 30 ft. in negative energy, preventing the enemy from activating abilities for a short time. Enemy targeted with this talent must make a Will save (DC 10 + half of the paladin’s level + his Charisma modifier) or be unable to cast any spells or use any talents for a number of rounds equal to the archon’s Charisma modifier.
- Lingering Silence: Silence now lasts longer, lasting a number of rounds equal to double his Charisma modifier. Prerequisite: Silence.
- Holy Smite: At a cost of 1 stamina point, as a standard action, the archon strikes out with condemning fire, inflicting holy damage on nearby enemies within a 15-ft.-radius. Enemies within the area of effect take 1d6 points of holy damage per two archon levels, a Reflex save (DC 10 + half of the paladin’s level + his Charisma modifier) for half damage.
- Righteous Smite: Holy Smite becomes more effective against spellcasters, dealing double damage. Prerequisite: Holy Smite.
- Staggering Smite: Holy Smite now has a chance to stun foes. If enemies fail the initial Reflex save, they must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of the paladin’s level + his Charisma modifier) or be stunned for the round. Prerequisite: Holy Smite.
- Righteous Strike: As a swift action, the archon may activate this talent as a sustained mode. The archon’s weapon is instilled with righteous energy. Each strike has a chance to prevent the enemy from activating abilities for a short time. Creatures affected by the archon’s attacks must make a Will save (DC 10 + half of the paladin’s level + his Charisma modifier) or be unable to cast any spells or use any talents for the round. This mode uses up 2 stamina points of the archon’s current and maximum stamina pool. Prerequisites: Silence, Holy Smite.
- Annulment: The magic infusing the archon’s blood protects the archon from the influence of spells. As long as the archon has at least 1 stamina point in his stamina pool, he gains a spell resistance to all forms of hostile magic equal to 10 + 1 per paladin level. Prerequisites: Cleanse, Silence, Righteous Strike.
These abilities replace blessings.