|Racial Traits||Race Point Cost|
|Ability Score Modifiers||Standard||0|
|Defenses||Bond to the Land||2|
|Feat and Skill||Stalker||5|
The Amal’j’’aa are tall with a muscular physique, and have a very martial culture. Fitting their worship of Ifrit, enemy Amal’j’aa specialize in fire-based skills, such as Enfire. They possess general knowledge of metalworking, and have been known to tame fire drakes.
As the primary focus of the race is the summoning and empowerment of their patron Primal, they often come into conflict with the other races of Eorzea, and are long standing enemies of the city state of Ul’dah. They quite frequently attack travelers and trading caravans, both to steal the large amount of crystals needed for their rituals, as well as to gain captives in order to have Ifrit “temper” them, permanently making them loyal servants to Ifrit and the Amal’j’aa. These rituals are conducted at the Bowl of Embers.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Amal’j’aa are known for their strengths and traditions but are not very agile. They gain +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, and -2 Dexterity.
- Type: Amal’j’aa are Humanoids with the amal’j’aa subtype.
- Size: Amal’j’aa are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Base Speed: Amal’j’aa have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Amal’j’aa start off with Common and Amal’j’aa. Amal’j’aa with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Celestial, Draconic, Galkan, Goblin, Lalafellan, Mithran, and Orc. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Bond to the Land: Amal’j’aa are quite familiar with desert and sandy lands and gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC when in desert areas.
- Deathless Spirit: Amal’j’aa have such a strong will that they tend to resist the effects of negative levels and damage when inflicted. Amalj’aa gain a resistance 5 against shadow damage. They do not lose hit points when they gain a negative level, and they gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against death effects, energy drain, negative energy, and spells or spell-like abilities of the necromancy school.
- Stability: Amal’j’aa gain a +4 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Stalker: The Amal’j’aa have long hunted and preyed upon the weak and such traditions have been passed down. Due to such traditions, the Amal’j’aa gain a +2 bonus on all Perception and Survival skill checks and are counted as class skills.
- Claws: Amal’j’aa have claw-like fingernails that are stronger then leather and therefore receive two claw attacks, dealing 1d4 damage. These are primary natural attacks.
Senses Racial Traits
- Darkvision: Amal’j’aa have been known to attack travelers both at night and dusk and therefore receive Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Fearless: When Amal’j’aa are taking on a foe with strong magicks, they have to be strong willed and not flea from spells that would make them flee in fear. Because of that, Amal’j’aa with this racial trait gain a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws against fear effects. This racial trait replaces bond of the land.
- Natural Attack: Amal’j’aa are fierce fighters when it comes to fighting without a weapon and will fight with everything they have. Amal’j’aa gains a bite attack. The damage on the bite attack is 1d6 damage and is a primary natural attack. This racial trait replaces stalker.
- Poison Use: Amal’j’aa are skilled with poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying it to weapons. This racial trait replaces stalker.
- Silent Hunter: Amal’j’aa are skillful hunters and can reduce the penalty for using Stealth while moving by 5 and can make Stealth checks while running at a –20 penalty (this number includes the penalty reduction from this trait). This racial trait replaces bond of the land.
- Tempered: Those who are followers of their false God gain 5 Elemental Resistance to fire. This racial trait replaces bond to the land.
The following racial archetypes are available to amal’j’aa:
- Flamecaller (Summoner; Amal’j’aa)
Variant Amal’j’aa Heritages
Although many amal’j’aa follow the general model of the standard amal’j’aa, many more do not. Those of different lineages may evince dramatically different manifestations of their heritage, both in appearance and in ability. Here are 3 different potential heritages for amal’j’aa PCs. If you choose to use a specific bloodline instead of the general rules for creating an amal’j’aa, you should work with your GM to ensure that your character’s appearance reflects that bloodline.
Alternate Skill Modifiers: While most amal’j’aa gain a +2 racial bonus on Perception and Survival checks, those of the variant heritages listed below gain a modifier to different skills.
Table: Variant Amal'j'aa Heritages
|Heritage||Ability Modifiers||Alternate Skill Modifiers||Description|
|Brother of Ash||+2 STR, +2 CHA, -2 DEX||Diplomacy and Intimidate||These Amal'jaa are prided on their mental fortitude and wisdom; as well as their acceptance of other races. Notably, they are in active disdain of the summoning of Ifrit.|
|Mamool Ja||+2 STR, +2 INT, -2 DEX||Spellcraft and Knowledge (Arcana)||Although unlikely to be truly related to the Amal'jaa, their similarities in appearance and demeanor has earned them the ire of those who are subjected to their terror. However, their enterprising and ease of hiring as bodyguards make outright banning them in city states a near impossibility. They are known to use totems to empower their warriors and magi.|
|Zyb||+2 DEX, +2 WIS, -2 STR||Handle Animal and Ride||Compared to their warlike brethren on the Source, these First-bound lizardmen are humble shepherds, tending to and nurturing dragon-bird like creatures known as Amaru.|
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Archer: Add +1/3 bonus to the archer’s Aim bonus for attack and damage rolls.
- Black Belt: Add +1 to the black belt’s CMD when she’s resisting a trip or overrun combat maneuver.
- Cleric: Add +1/3 to the amount of damage dealt or damage healed when the cleric uses channel energy.
- Dragoon: Add +1/3 to the dragoon’s attack rolls with spears, lances, and polearms.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter’s CMD when resisting a disarm or sunder attempt.
- Geomancer: Add +1/2 to fire spell or spell-like ability damage.
- Summoner: Add a +1/4 natural armor bonus to the AC of the summoner’s avatar. If the summoner ever replaces his avatar, the new avatar gains this bonus.
- Thief: The thief gains +1/6 of a new thief talent.