Latest News

End of 2023 Update

Home > Bestiary > Constructs > Sculpture Family >

A statue with a shield made from metal. These statues are positioned in castles and strongholds, and will move in unison to other shield statues when one detects enemies nearby. There are other stone statues that can be controlled using magic, and among them these statues are particularly adept in the use of shields. They take action placing weight on defense, so it may take some time to get through groups of these statues during a castle raid.

Shield Statue (CR 12)

XP 19,200
N Medium Construct
Init +9; Senses Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +19

DEFENSE

AC 28, touch 13, flat-footed 23 (+5 Dex, +12 natural, +1 shield)
hp 108 [180] (16d10+20)
Fort +5, Ref +10, Will +5
DR 10/bludgeoning; Immune construct traits; Resist Water 5, Fire 10, Earth 15; SR 23
Weakness Ice

TACTICS

During Combat The shield statues tend to protect their master or tend to flank with other shield statues/allies.

OFFENSE

Speed 30 ft.
Melee +1 Longsword +22/+17/+12 (1d8+7/19-20), Shortsword +22/+17 (1d6+4/19-20) or 2 slams +19 (1d6+6)
Special Attacks keen weapons, pressure, rank fighting

STATISTICS

Str 22, Dex 20, Con -, Int 1, Wis 16, Cha 1
Base Atk +16; CMB +22; CMD 37
Feats Double Slice, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Initiative, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (longsword, shortsword)
Skills Perception +19
Gear +1 longsword, +1 shortsword
SQ Spell Deflection

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Keen Weapons (Su)

After it has engaged in at least 1 round of combat, a shield statue’s weapons automatically gain the benefits of keen weapon (CL 6th). This effect persists until the end of the battle.

Pressure (Ex)

Once every 1d2 rounds as a free action, each attack made during this round has it’s critical range increased to 17-20 and confirmed critical by +2.

Rank Fighting (Su)

Whenever a shield statue is adjacent to another a shield statue, it gains a +2 dodge bonus to its AC and a +2 bonus on saving throws, attack rolls, and damage rolls.

Spell Deflection (Ex)

This can only be triggered once per round, whenever anyone fails to go through the shield statue’s spell resistance, there is 50% chance the spell will be deflected, 25% chance the spell be reflected back at the caster, or 25% chance it will do nothing.

Construction

An shield statue’s body is made from 1000 pounds of iron, fired with rare and magical glazes worth 2000 gp.

CL 15th; Price 100,000 gil

CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS

Feats Craft Construct; Spells animate objects, stoneskin, mithra’s gracegeas/quest, keen, protect III, shell III; Special creator must be caster level 15th; Skill Craft (sculptures) DC 20; Cost 55,000 gil

Variants

Unlike most constructs, a shield statue carries within its form a spark of intelligence. This is hardly enough to grant the construct the ability to speak or otherwise engage in free will, but it is enough for it to carry out more complex tactics than most constructs are capable of. It’s not unusual for a shield statue to possess different feats or use different weapons.