Cost 10 JP
The superhero with the Super Charisma power exudes such self-confidence, poise and charm that he can win over just about anybody. He is at home in any social situation — even if he doesn’t feel like being the center of attention, the superhero would never know it from his amicable and entertaining demeanor. This superpower increases the superhero’s Charisma score by an inherent bonus of +10.
ENHANCEMENTS AND LIMITATIONS
- Enhancement: Awe-Inspiring: (Cost: 3 JP): Activate: 1 PP; swift action. For whatever reason, the superhero’s appearance gives rise to awe, admiration and even worship. Normal humans often have trouble dealing with the superhero in a straightforward manner. The weak-willed are inclined to edge away or be worshipful, and even the strong-willed feel intimidated and inadequate. The superhero can’t outright control others through his staggering appearance. Still, it’s not uncommon for an Awe-Inspiring superhero to be surrounded by an entourage of fawning, adoring sycophants. The superhero is phenomenally captivating to everyone he meets. This has no direct rules influence, but the GM should bear it in mind during interactions with NPCs — servers are deferential, groupies throw themselves at the superhero, etc. More significantly, by spending 1 power point, the superhero can focus his charm to influence others. The superhero adds (double his Charisma modifier) as a competence bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Perform checks against targets in his direct presence and who are looking at the superhero. This lasts for one encounter (or his freelancer level in hours, if the GM prefers).
- Enhancement: Commanding Presence (Cost: 3 JP): The superhero is a born leader. His influence is so enduring that others strive to fulfill his wishes and live up to his example even when the superhero is not around. The superhero gains his Charisma modifier as a competence bonus on any Charisma-related check that involves commanding people or giving orders. This does not apply to persuading someone through reason or logic, appealing on a personal level, or the like; it works only when the superhero gives actual commands. The superhero needs not have formal authorization to dispense orders — such as being the target’s boss, commanding officer or parent — for this enhancement to work. The GM may reduce the bonus if the superhero is significantly out of place or otherwise beneath the target’s station, however — such as an ordinary citizen barking an order at a high-ranking government official. This enhancement is always active and costs no power points to use.
- Enhancement: Dreadful Mien (Cost: 3 JP): Activate: 1 PP; use activated. The superhero can use his charm as a weapon — his anger or disappointment can become so potent as to feel like a crushing blow. As a constant effect that requires no power point expenditure, the superhero adds (double his Charisma modifier) as a competence bonus on Intimidate checks. By spending 1 power point, the superhero can focus his displeasure even more intensely for a number of minutes equal to his Charisma modifier. He makes an Intimidate check (DC 10 + the hit dice of the creature) against a single target as a standard action. If the superhero is successful, the target will not attack him for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier. If the superhero attacks the target’s friends or compatriots, a new Intimidate check is required to keep the target at bay. If the superhero takes a violent or threatening action towards the target himself, his enhancement’s influence is negated. Once Dreadful Mien is canceled against a specific target, it cannot be used against him for the remainder of the encounter. The superhero must be within 30 feet and have line of sight to the target to use this enhancement.
- Enhancement: Encouraging Words (Cost: 2 JP per level): Activate: 1 PP; move action. During battle, the superhero exhorts his comrades with words of courage and determination. For each level of this enhancement, this enhancement affects all allies within a 30-foot radius centered on the superhero, and bestows 1d6 temporary hit points, plus 1d6 additional points for every level of this enhancement. These temporary hit points last until the battle ends, or until they are removed through damage. The superhero can choose whether or not to include himself in this effect. This is a language-dependent ability.
- Enhancement: Fear Aura (Cost: 3 JP): Activate: 1 PP; free action. A superhero radiates a 10-foot-radius fear aura. Enemies in the area must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + half of his freelancer’s level + his Charisma modifier) or become shaken for a number of rounds equal to the freelancer’s Charisma modifier. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected by this fear aura for 24 hours. The superhero spends 1 power point to activate this enhancement for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier.
- Enhancement: Frightful Presence (Cost: 4 JP): Activate: 1 PP; free action. This enhancement makes a superhero’s very presence unsettling to foes. Activating this ability is a free action that is usually part of an attack or charge. Opponents within range who witness the action may become frightened or shaken. The range is equaled to 30 feet of the superhero, and the duration lasts for 5d6 rounds. This enhancement affects only opponents with fewer Hit Dice than the creature has. An opponent can resist the effects with a successful Will save (DC 10 + half the freelancer’s level + his Charisma modifier). An opponent that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to this frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failed save, the opponent is shaken, or panicked if it has 4 Hit Dice or fewer. Frightful presence is a mind-affecting fear effect. The superhero spends 1 power point to activate this enhancement for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier.
- Enhancement: Persuader (Cost: 3 JP): Activate: 1 PP; swift action. The superhero is an expert at bringing people around to his point of view. The superhero has an innate talent for knowing what people are thinking and can manipulate their opinions until they are thinking what he wants them to think. The superhero adds (double his Charisma modifier) as a competence bonus on any Charisma-related checks made to persuade or convince a single individual (primarily Bluff or Diplomacy). Such checks are resolved as normal, although the GM may give the target a competence bonus to resist assertions that would violate her morals or beliefs, or result in her physical harm. The superhero spends 1 power point to activate this enhancement for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier.
- Enhancement: Staggering Presence (Cost: 5 JP): Activate: 2 PP; free action. This enhancement functions as frightful presence, except that a creature that fails its save is also staggered as long as it remains in the area of effect, and for an additional 1d6 rounds after leaving that area. This is a mind-affecting fear effect. The superhero spends 2 power point to activate this enhancement for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier. Prerequisite: The superhero must have the Frightening Presence enhancement to buy this enhancement.