Magitek refers to machina devices fueled by ceruleum, a rare substance created by draining the energy of crystals. On Hydaelyn, the imperials of Garlea are the foremost users of magitek. The majority of Garlean citizens have a natural ineptitude for the workings of magic to the point of not being able to naturally manipulate aether whatsoever, and so to overcome this disadvantage developed magitek.
The technology is not widely used in the Eorzean region, but is slowly being adopted and seeing more widespread use thanks to Garlond Ironworks. A merging of Garlean magitek and Ul’dahn mine carts results in a web of iron causeways that spread across Thanalan. Magitek Armor first saw military use during the great battle of Carteneau. Kobolds are increasingly making use of magitek devices—including ones surreptitiously “borrowed” from the Garleans and then modified with goblin ingenuity (if it can be called that).
Cost: 10,000 gil.
Size: Large; Speed: 50 ft.; HP: 100 (10d10+30); Fort: +3, Ref: +2, Will: +3; AC: +9 natural armor; BAB: +10, CMB: +18, CMD: 27; Attack: slam (1d8); Ability Scores: Str 24, Dex 8*, Con -, Int -, Wis -, Cha -; Special Attacks: Bio Beam, Healing Force, Fire Beam, Ice Beam, Bolt Beam, Water Beam; Special Qualities: Hardness 10, Construct traits
A magitek has a Strength score of 24 and a starting Dexterity score of 8 (improved by the number of ranks the operator has in the Drive skill to a maximum equal to the operator’s Dexterity score). A magitek possesses a hardness of 10. It imposes a –1 size penalty on attack rolls and to AC but gains a +1 bonus on CMB rolls and to CMD. It takes a –4 penalty on Stealth checks. A magitek has a single slam attack that deals 1d8 points of damage (plus the magitek’s Strength modifier). Its reach is 10 feet, and its base speed is 50 feet. It weighs approximately 2,000 lbs and is roughly 12 feet tall.
If the magitek’s hit points is reduced to 0, it becomes inactive. Exiting an inactive magitek requires a standard action. If a magitek continues to take damage beyond 0, it will explode. A magitek being reduced to -20 will explode immediately, dealing 5d6 points of fire damage to the operator (if still inside the magitek) (no save) and to all creatures within a 15-ft.-radius spread (Reflex save DC 14 for half damage). A magitek destroyed this way cannot be repaired, but can be salvageable.
A magitek possesses an array of beam cannons integrated into its arms. The operator may only fire one beam cannon once a round. Each beam cannon requires a ranged touch attack and has a range of 50 feet. The beam cannons begin the day with 20 charges and each beam cannon costs 2 charges to use with an 8 hours of shutdown required to renew the charges.
- Bio Beam: This beam cannon fires a blast of poison, dealing 5d6+15 points of non-elemental damage and inflicting Poison status effect for 1d4+1 rounds, a Fortitude save (DC 15) to negate the status effect.
- Healing Force: This beam cannon fires a blast of healing energy, healing for 5d6+15 points of damage.
- Fire Beam: This beam cannon fires a blast of fire, dealing 5d6+15 points of fire damage and inflicting Burning status effect for 1d4+1 rounds, a Fortitude save (DC 15) to negate the status effect.
- Ice Beam: This beam cannon fires a blast of ice, dealing 5d6+15 points of ice damage and inflicting Frozen status effect for 1d4+1 rounds, a Fortitude save (DC 15) to negate the status effect.
- Bolt Beam: This beam cannon fires a blast of lightning, dealing 5d6+15 points of lightning damage and inflicting Static status effect for 1d4+1 rounds, a Fortitude save (DC 15) to negate the status effect.
- Water Beam: This beam cannon fires a blast of water, dealing 5d6+15 points of water damage and inflicting Drenched status effect for 1d4+1 rounds, a Fortitude save (DC 15) to negate the status effect.
It takes a standard action to climb into a magitek’s cockpit and a move action to activate it, so it can move and fight.
Driving and Movement
Magitek operators use the Drive skill to operate their magitek. In general, magitek operators don’t need to make Drive checks to steer their magitek around the battlefield. However, this skill may come into play in combat under the following circumstances:
- When trying to move past a foe without provoking an attack of opportunity, a magitek operator can make a Drive check instead of an Acrobatics check.
- A magitek operator can make a trip combat maneuver with a Drive check.
A character without the Magitek Operation feat suffers serious penalties while operating a magitek.