The curved horns and beautifully patterned scales that characterize the auri oft give rise to speculation that this Hyur-
Auri creation myth tells of a Dawn Father and a Dusk Mother from whom all auri are descended. The Raen believe their veins to run thick with the blood of the former—their brilliant white scales and iron wills serving as proof of this divine lineage. The Xaela believe their veins to run thick with the blood of the latter—their lustrous black scales and fiery wills serving as proof of this divine lineage.
Raen, unlike their sister clan, the Xaela, who bloody the land with their endless tribal conflict, have embraced a life of tranquility and solitude, long abandoning the nomadic lifestyle of their ancestors to settle the deep valleys of Othard’s mountainous eastern reaches. Only on rare occasions will one emerge from the valley mists to seek adventure in realms afar. The Xaela however, are free spirits who roam the vast western steppe in close-
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: The Raen and Xaela clans have different attributes. The Xaela tend to be wiser and stronger, but their fierce brute looks are a bit intimidating. They gain +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, and –
2 Charisma. The Raen tend to be nimble and social, but also a bit fragile. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, and – 2 Constitution.
- Size: Auri are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Auri are Humanoid creatures with the Au ra subtype.
- Base Speed: Auri have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Auri begin play speaking Common and Draconic. Auri with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Abyssal, Celestial, Elvaan, Galkan, Goblin, and Orc. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Draconic Resistance: Auri gain a +2 racial saving throw bonus against paralysis and sleep effects.
- Dragon Scales: Auri’s patches of draconic scales along their body grant them a +1 bonus to natural armor.
- Fearless: Auri get a +2 racial bonus on saves against fear.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Friendly Attitude: Raen are very friendly and social, usually the host of a party or social function. They gain a +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy checks.
- Imposing Figure: Xaela are intimidating without trying due their draconic features, large bodies, and cold glowing gazes. They gain a +2 racial bonus to Intimidate checks.
- Survivalist: All auri gain a +2 racial bonus on all Survival checks.
Offense Racial Traits
- Ferocity: Once per day, when au ras are brought below 0 hit points but not killed, they can fight on for 1 more round as if disabled. At the end of their next turn, unless brought to above 0 hit points, they immediately fall unconscious and begin dying.
Senses Racial Traits
- Darkvision: All auri can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
Hardened: Warring against their own tribes make defense second nature to some auri. Auri with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus to CMD. This racial trait replaces survivalist.
- Elemental Resistance: Some auri become more resistant to the elements. Auri must choose earth, fire, ice, lightning, water or wind elemental at 1st level. They have elemental resistance 5 against that energy type. This racial trait replaces dragon scales.
- Keen Senses: Some auri have a keener sense of smell and sight. They receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks. This racial trait replaces survivalist.
- Weapon Familiarity: Auri who are from the east has become familiar with their style of combat. Auri gain proficiently with a single eastern weapon. (Kama, katana, kusarigama, nunchaku, sai, shuriken, siangham, or wakizashi.) This racial trait replaces ferocity.
The following racial archetypes are available to auri:
- Scaled Fist (Monk; Au ra)
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Archer: Add +1/3 bonus to the archer’s Aim bonus for attack and damage rolls.
- Dark Knight: Add +1/6 on attack and damage rolls for Darkside.
- Dragoon: Add +1/3 to the dragoon’s attack rolls with spears, lances, and polearms.
- Fighter: Add +1 to CMD against bull rush or overrun maneuvers.
- Gunbreaker: Add +1/6 of a new gun arm technique.
- Holy Knight: Add +1/4 deflection bonus to AC while in Shield Oath or +1/4 bonus to attack rolls while in Sword Oath.
- Knight: Add +1/3 to the knight’s total number of rounds for the defensive stance ability per day.
- Monk: Add +1/3 to the monk’s AC bonus class ability.
- Samurai: Add +1/6 to the DC for Bushidos.
- White Mage: Add one spell known from the white mage spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the white mage can cast.