|Racial Traits||Race Point Cost|
|Ability Score Modifiers||Standard (+2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Wis)||0|
|Feat and Skill||Keen Senses||2|
|Feat and Skill||Noble Upbringing||4|
|Feat and Skill||Sovereignty of The Nation||2|
|Feat and Skill||Technologically Advanced||6|
Until around fifty years ago, due to Garleans’ inability to use magick compared to the “lesser races”, the Garlemald Republic was a remote and sparsely populated nation occupying little more than a fraction of the northlands. The Ascian Emet-Selch, assuming the identity of a brilliant Legatus named Solus zos Galvus, brought about a technological revolution with the discovery of ceruleum. Solus established Garlemald as a world power within a single generation with himself as its emperor. He began a campaign of conquering other nations with his magitek forces, such as Doma, under the pretense of exterminating the practice of primal-summoning while presenting the other races as barbarians.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Garleans are hardy and very intelligent, but have difficulty deciding if their actions are wise. As a result, garleans gain a +2 bonus to Constitution and Intelligence, but suffer a –2 penalty to Wisdom.
- Size: Garleans are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Garleans are Humanoid creatures with the garlean subtype.
- Base Speed: Garleans have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Garleans begin play speaking Common. Garleans with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Elvaan, Galkan, Goblin, Lalafellan, and Mithran. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Fearless: Garleans gain a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws against fear effects.
- Hardy: Garleans gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
- Magitek Training: Garleans gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC against constructs of the robot subtype and magiteks.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Keen Senses: Garleans receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
- Noble Upbringing: Garleans take great pride in their history, culture, and government. They receive a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nobility) and Knowledge (history) checks and treat these skills as class skills.
- Sovereignty of The Nation: Garleans are highly efficient with firearms. They can gain Firearms (Simple) or a single Gun Arm Exotic Weapon Proficiency.
- Technologically Advanced: Garleans are very proficient with all things technology. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (Technology), Repair, and any one Craft skill that involves building something technological.
Magical Racial Traits
- Third Eye (Su): Garleans, while magically inept, can physically open a third eye in their forehead, which shines like a white gem, and are able to use detect magic at will as a spell-like ability (caster level equal to the garlean‘s class level).
Weakness Racial Traits
- Magic Ineptitude: Garleans are inept with magic. They are unable to obtain a magic pool nor can they use spell-trigger items, spell-completion items, command word activated item, or use activated items. Garleans can use alchemical items and may activate and deactivate their magic weapons and armor without issue as well as gain bonuses from static magical wondrous items and rings like belts of giant strength.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following racial traits replace existing garlean racial traits. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Engineer: Garlean engineers tinker endlessly with fire, explosives, and the engines of war. Garleans with this racial trait gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) and Knowledge (engineering) checks. This racial trait replaces noble upbringing.
- Magic Resistant: Some garleans are particularly resistant to magic. Garleans with this racial trait gain spell resistance equal to 11 + their character level. This resistance can be lowered for 1 round as a standard action. This racial trait replaces hardy and third eye.
- Magic User: A rare few garleans are able to utilize magic. Garleans with this racial trait are able to obtain a magic pool and can use spell-trigger items, spell-completion items, command word activated item, and use activated items. This racial trait replaces hardy, keen senses, and magic ineptitude.
- Master Tinker: Garleans experiment with all manner of mechanical devices. Garleans with this racial trait gain a +2 bonus on Disable Device and Knowledge (engineering) checks. This racial trait replaces noble upbringing.
- Physically Inspired: Some garleans prefer being physically superior to others. Garleans with this racial trait gains a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics, Climb, and Swim checks. This racial trait replaces technological advanced.
- Wary: Many garleans have spent their long lives moving from place to place, often driven out by the hostility of others. Such experiences have made them wary of others’ motivations. Garleans with this trait gain a +2 racial bonus on Sense Motive and Bluff checks. This racial trait replaces noble upbringing.
- Wright: Some garleans prefer to use their natural talents with mechanisms to drive machines. These garleans gain a +2 racial bonus on Drive checks and on Craft and Repair checks to build or repair vehicles. This racial trait replaces technological advanced.
- Xenophobia Extremis: Some garleans see themselves so high and mighty over other races, it seeps into every part of their beings. Garleans with this racial trait get -2 to Charisma instead of Wisdom, and cannot learn bonus languages based on their Intelligence modifier. This racial trait modifies the ability score and languages racial traits.
The following racial archetypes are available to garleans:
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Chemist: Add +1/2 to bomb damage.
- Engineer: Add +1/4 to the number of Repair daily uses.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter’s CMD when resisting a bull rush or dirty trick.
- Gunbreaker: Add +1/6 of a new gun arm technique.
- Gunner: Add +1/4 point to the gunner’s grit points.
- Knight: Add +1/6 to gain a new knight talent.
- Medic: The medic gains +1/6 of a new combat medic technique.
- Ninja: Add +1/4 point to the ninja’s ki pool.