The enigmatic mandragora were first observed in the aftermath of the Seventh Umbral Era. It is not known whence they came, or if they even existed prior to the Calamity. They resemble a small, wide-
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Mandragoras are quick and agile, while also wiser than they look, but their plant-
like bodies are frail. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, and –2 Constitution.
- Type: Humanoid Plant: Mandragora are unique creatures, possessing traits of both humanoids and plants. A mandragora is treated as both humanoid and plant for the purposes of effects that target a specific type of creature. Unlike most plants, a mandragora is not immune to mind-
affecing effects, poison, paralysis, polymorph, or stunning.
- Size: Mandragoras are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Base Speed: Mandragoras have a base speed of 20 feet.
- Languages: Mandragoras begin play speaking Common and Mandragoran. Mandragoras with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Draconic, Dwarven, Elvaan, Galkan, Giant, Goblin, and Orc. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Natural Armor: Their plant-
like nature has gifted mandragoras with a fibrous, stiff skin much like bark. This grants them a +1 natural armor bonus.
- Plant Resistance: While technically a plant, a mandragora has more in common with most humanoids. They gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-
affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), paralysis, poison, and polymorph effects. They are immune to sleep effects.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Camouflage: Mandragoras gain a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks while in marshes or forested terrains.
Magical Racial Traits
- In Tune with the Earth: Mandragoras are treated as 1 level higher when casting spells with the earth descriptor. This ability does not give Mandragoras early access to level-
based powers; it only affects powers that they could already use without this ability.
Like Ability (Su): Mandragora can use Photosynthesis once per day as a spell- like ability (caster level equal to the mandragora’s class level.
Offense Racial Traits
- Shriek: Once per day as a standard action, a mandragora can give voice to an unsettling shriek. All creatures within a 30-
foot spread of a shrieking mandragora must make a Will save (DC 10 + half of the mandragora’s character level + its Wisdom modifier) or become nauseated for 1d4 rounds. This is a sonic, mind- affecting ability.
Other Racial Traits
- Bioluminescence: At will, a mandragora can cause any part of his body to glow, giving off light as a torch.
- Sunlight Sustenance: A mandragora does not eat food, but must consume water like all living things. As long as it receives at least six hours of sunlight per day, a mandragora requires only ¼ the water a normal humanoid would. A mandragora deprived of adequate sunlight for more than two days at a time becomes fatigued until it gets at least six hours of sunlight. If it does not get sunlight for more than a week, it becomes exhausted until it gets at least six hours of sunlight. A one hour exposure to a daylight spell will fulfill a mandragora’s daily needs.
Senses Racial Traits
Light Vision: Mandragoras can see twice as far as humes in conditions of dim light.
Weakness Racial Traits
- Temperature Vulnerability: A mandragora has trouble regulating its body temperature. Mandragora have a –
4 penalty to Fortitude saves made against environmental effects.
- Vulnerable to Fire: Mandragoras take 150% as much damage as normal from fire attacks, unless they are immune to fire via other special defenses.
- Weakened by Cold: As the winter slows the growth of trees, it also tires and weakens the mandragora. If a mandragora suffers ice damage, it withers and wilts, needing to make a Fortitude save equal to 10 + the half the damage suffered. Failure to save means the mandragora is staggered.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Buoyant: Mandragoras with this racial trait lived by the water. They gain a +4 competence bonus to Swim checks and a 20′ swim speed. This racial trait replaces camouflage and in tune with the earth.
- Burned One: You survived a forest fire or being struck by lightning. You gain your choice of fire or lightning resistance 5. Once chosen, this choice cannot be changed. This racial trait replaces plant resistance and vulnerable to fire.
- Cactuar Kin: Your clan’s ancestors were desert-
dwelling cactuars. The whole of your body is covered with small spines. When you are struck with a natural weapon or unarmed strike, your opponent suffers 1d3 points of piercing damage. You also deal this damage to your opponent each round while grappling. This racial trait replaces plant resistance.
- Dark Root: Your lineage is more closely related to tubers and other root plants than to soaring sequoia or grand oaks. You gain darkvision 60 feet and a burrow speed of 15 feet. This racial trait replaces low-
light vision andbioluminescence.
- Pestilent: Your lineage began in a stagnant swamp. You gain immunity against poison and disease. This racial trait replaces plant resistance.
- Photosynthetic Regrowth: A mandragora with this racial trait recovers lost hit points every hour rather than every day as long as it remains in direct sunlight for the entire hour. This racial trait replaces natural armor.
- Pithy Toughness: Mandragora with this racial trait gain Toughness as a bonus feat. This racial trait replaces plant resistance.
- Thick Bark: Mandragoras with this racial trait have a thicker skin around their bodies. They gain a +1 racial bonus to Fortitude saves and a +2 save bonus vs. fire attacks. This racial trait replaces plant resistance and vulnerable to fire.
The following feats are available to a mandragora character who meets the prerequisites.
The following racial archetypes are available to mandragoras:
- Tree Guardian (Beastmaster; Mandragora)
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Archer: Add +1/2 on critical hit confirmation rolls for attacks made with bows or crossbows (maximum bonus of +4). This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus feat.
- Beastmaster: Add +1/2 to the damage dealt by the beastmaster’s animal companion’s natural attacks.
- Geomancer: Add +1/2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) skill checks.
- Holy Knight: Add +1/2 hit point to the holy knight’s lay on hands ability (whether using it to heal or harm).
- Thief: Add +1/3 on critical hit confirmation rolls made while using sneak attack (maximum bonus of +5). This does not stack with the Critical Focus feat.
- White Mage: Add +1 to holy burst damage dealt to creatures denied their dexterity bonus to AC (whether or not the creature has a dexterity bonus to AC).