Racial Traits Race Point Cost
Type Humanoid (feline) 0
Size Small 0
Base Speed Normal 0
Ability Score Modifiers Greater Paragon (+4 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Wis) 2
Languages Standard 0
Defense Heavy Lifter 1
Defense Nimble Faller 2
Feat and Skill Feline Conversationalist 1
Feat and Skill Nimble 3
Movement Sprinter 1
Offense Bite x2 2
Offense Claws 2
Senses Low-Light Vision 1
Senses Scent 4
Weakness Non-threatening -2
Weakness Easily Distracted -1
Weakness Naïve -1
Palicos are a diminutive race of bipedal cat humanoids that share many traits of actual felines. They are often employed to serve as a support companion, from carrying equipment to assisting in combat. Their disposition is the same as many felines that they emulate.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Palicos are very agile and too curious for their own. They gain +4 Dexterity, -2 strength and -2 Wisdom.
- Size: Palicos are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Type: Palicos are Humanoid creatures with the feline subtype.
- Base Speed: Palicos are fast for their size, and have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Palicos begin play speaking Common and either Mithran or Ronsaur. Palicos with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Abyssal, Celestial, Elvaan, Galkan, Goblin, and Orc. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Heavy Lifter: Palicos are used to carrying heavy equipment and as such, are treated as if their Strength score was 4 points higher for encumbrance.
- Nimble Faller: Palicos have an amazing sense of balance and keen knowledge of their own center of gravity. Palicos land on their feet even when they take lethal damage from a fall and take damage as if the fall were 10 feet shorter than it actually is. Furthermore, palicos gain a +1 bonus to their CMD against trip combat maneuvers.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Feline Conversationalist: Palicos may comprehend and communicate at will with all feline animals and magical beasts.
- Nimble: Palicos use their Dexterity to modify Climb and Swim checks.
Movement Racial Traits
- Sprinter: Palicos gain a 10-foot racial bonus to their speed when using the charge, run, or withdraw actions.
Offense Racial Traits
- Natural Attacks: Palicos have three primary natural attacks: a bite that inflicts 1d3 points of damage and two claws that inflict 1d3 points of damage each.
Senses Racial Traits
- Cat Senses: In addition to having low-light vision, palicos have the scent ability.
Weakness Racial Traits
- Non-threatening: Palicos are too cute for their own good and suffer a -4 penalty on Intimidation checks.
- Easily Distracted: Palicos turn their head at any distraction and suffer a -2 penalty on Concentration checks.
- Naïve: Palicos love a good ear scratch, often trusting too quickly and suffer a -2 penalty on Sense Motive checks.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Clever Cat: A palico’s generally friendly disposition doesn’t preclude craftiness. Some of them see social obstacles as games to be played and won. These palicos receive a +4 racial bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive checks. This racial trait replaces nimble and sprinter.
- Climber: Palico hunters excel at hunting prey from trees and other high vantage points. Palicos with this racial trait possess a climb speed of 20 feet (along with the +8 racial bonus on Climb checks a climb speed affords). This racial trait replaces sprinter.
- Curiosity: Palicos are naturally inquisitive about the world around them, though some are more curious than others. Such palicos gain a +4 bonus on Diplomacy checks to gather information, and Knowledge (history) and Knowledge (local) are always class skills for them. If they choose a class that has either of these Knowledge skills as class skills, they gain a +4 racial bonus on those skills instead. This racial trait replaces nimble and sprinter.
- Dexterous Tail: Palicos with this trait have a long, flexible tail that can be used to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their tails, but they can retrieve small, stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action. This racial trait replaces sprinter.
- Jungle Stalker: Some palicos often live in deeply forested terrain and they have become naturally sure-footed to maintain their hunting prowess in these dangerous environments. Such palicos gain a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics checks and can ignore the first square of difficult terrain caused by foliage each round. This racial trait replaces sprinter.
- Natural Hunter: Palicos with this trait excel at hunting prey. Such palicos receive a +4 racial bonus on Perception, Stealth, and Survival checks. This racial trait replaces nimble and sprinter.
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Archer: Add +1/2 on critical hit confirmation rolls for attacks made with bows or crossbows (maximum bonus of +4). This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus feat.
- Bard: Add a +1/2 bonus on Bluff checks to lie and a +1/2 bonus on Diplomacy checks to gather information.
- Beastmaster: Add +2.5 feet to the distance the beastmaster can charge or run through rough terrain. This option has no effect unless the beastmaster has selected it twice possesses increments evenly divisible by 5); a distance of 12.5 feet is effectively the same as a distance of 10 feet, for example.
- Fighter: Add a +1/2 circumstance bonus to confirm critical hits when attacking with weapons from the close or light blade weapon groups (maximum bonus +4). This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus.
- Gunner: Add +1/3 to the gunner’s AC when using the gunner’s dodge deed.
- Ninja: Add a +1 bonus to attack rolls when attacking on or charging from higher ground.
- Thief: Add a +1/2 bonus on stealth checks and perception checks made in dim light or darkness.