A bewitching race of beastmen with an upper body like that of a hume woman and a lower body resembling that of a venomous serpent. The lamias are few in number compared to the other beastmen inhabitants of the Near East. However, they have ensorceled the bones of fallen soldiers, creating an undead army of considerable size to defend their reef settlements. Lamias are known to sneak into towns in the depths of night, wielding powerful bows and hunting townspeople to replenish their armies; hence the Near Easterners’ dread of sunset. According to rumor, lamias are not technically a race of beastmen, but actually a form of organic weapon (also known as a chimera), created by alchemists fusing the parts of multiple organisms. Lamia are also known for their crafting in beautiful magic enhanced jewelry and hate for the Empire that has taken over much of their land.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Lamias are graceful, creative, and beautiful, but not physically intimidating or imposing. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, and -2 Strength.
- Size: Lamias are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Lamias are Humanoid creatures with the reptillian subtype.
- Base Speed: Lamias have a base speed of 20 feet and a swim speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Lamias begin play speaking Common and Aquan. Lamias with high Intelligence scores can choose any of the following bonus languages: Aboleth, Aklo, Draconic, Elvaan, Sahagin, and Sylvan.
Defense Racial Traits
- Bond to the Land: Lamias gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC when fighting on desert or water areas. Must pick one during character creation.
- Hold Breath: Lamias can hold their breath for a number of rounds equal to four times their Constitution score before risking drowning or suffocating.
- Tough Scales: Lamias have tough scales and gain a +1 natural armor bonus from it.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Jeweler’s Craft: Lamias are amazing crafters of both normal and magic jewelry and gain a +2 racial bonus on all Craft or Profession checks to create objects from metal.
- Legless: Lamias have no legs and cannot equip any leg or foot armor. This also includes if a spell uses any polymorph effect. This changes only if the character is resurrected to a different race.
Senses Racial Traits
- Low-Light Vision: Lamias have low-light vision, allowing them to see twice as far as humes in dim light.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Darkvision: Some lamias favor the lightless depths of caverns and shallow waters. Lamias with this racial trait gain darkvision with a range of 60 feet and light sensitivity. This racial trait replaces low-light vision.
- Seasinger: The beautiful voices of the lamias are legendary. A lamia with this racial trait gains a +2 racial bonus on Perform (sing) checks and a +1 racial bonus to the save DC of language-dependent spells. This racial trait replaces bond of the land.
- Seducer: Lamias are known as the seducing race for charming, dominating and the likes. A lamia gains a +2 bonus to Diplomacy checks against the opposite gender. In addition, a lamia with a Wisdom score of 11 or higher gain the following spell-like ability (the caster level is equal to the lamia’s character level): 1/day—charm. This racial trait replaces bond of the land and jeweler’s craft.
- Swordtrained: Lamias are trained from birth in swordplay, and as a result are automatically proficient with sword-like weapons (falchions, greatswords, longswords, rapiers, scimitars, short swords, and two-bladed swords). This racial trait replaces jeweler’s craft.
- Tempered: Those who are followers of their false God, gain 5 water or wind resistance. You have to pick either of these elements during character creation. This racial trait replaces tough scales.
The following racial archetypes are available to lamias:
- Watersinger (Bard; Lamia)
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Archer: Add +1/3 bonus to the archer’s Aim bonus for attack and damage rolls.
- Bard: Add +1 to the bard’s total number of bardic performance rounds per day.
- Dancer: Add +1/4 point to the dancer’s ki pool.
- Necromancer: Add one spell known from the necromancer spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the necromancer can cast.
- Sword Saint: The sword saint gains 1/5 of a new swordskill.
- White Mage: The white mage gains elemental resistance 1 against shadow. Each time the white mage selects this reward, increase her resistance by +1 (maximum 10).