This avian beast tribe resides on the floating islands dotting the Sea of Clouds. Prior to the advent of airship technology, man only dared to dream of reaching these islands in the sky. And so, for a time, the Vanu were unknown to the rest of the world. Times have changed, however, and now they must adapt as outsiders encroach upon their home. They appear to be stout beastmen with avian features, including white beaks. Unlike the Ixal, the Vanu are covered with feathers all over their body excluding their lower legs. Despite their feathers, the Vanu have no wings and wear tribal clothing.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Vanu are very wise and durable but lack a certain knack for intelligence. They gain +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, and -2 Intelligence.
- Size: Vanu are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Vanu are Humanoid creatures with the vanu subtype.
- Base Speed: Vanu have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Vanu start off with Common and Vanu. They can learn any of the beastmen languages. Vanu can learn additional languages by putting ranks into the linguistics skill.
Defense Racial Traits
- Elemental’s Gift: The elementals know that the Vanu Vanu are more susceptible to attacks from foreign races and monster and grant them their wind ability. Once per day, as a swift action, a vanu can grant himself a +2 deflection bonus to AC against ranged attacks for 1 minute.
- Sleepless Magicks: Vanu are known to go sea fishing for weeks on end without sleeping a wink and have immunities to magic sleep effects and gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws made against enfeebling spells and effects.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Gift of Tongues: Vanu gain a +1 racial bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks, and they learn one additional language every time they put a rank in the Linguistics skill.
Offense Racial Traits
- Sky Sentinel: Vanu gain a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls, a +2 dodge bonus to AC, and a +2 bonus on Perception checks against flying creatures. In addition, enemies on higher ground gain no attack roll bonus against vanu.
Senses Racial Traits
- Low-Light Vision: Vanu have low-light vision, allowing them to see twice as far as humes in dim light.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Flightless Fall: Some vanu can use their feathered arms and legs to glide. Vanu with this racial trait can make a DC 15 Fly check to fall safely from any height without taking falling damage, as if using choco feather. When falling safely, a vanu may make an additional DC 15 Fly check to glide, moving 5 feet laterally for every 20 feet he falls. This racial trait replaces sky sentinel.
- Nimble Faller: Vanu land on their feet even when they take lethal damage from a fall. Furthermore, they gain a +1 bonus to their CMD against trip attempts. This racial trait replaces sky sentinel.
- Wind Resistant: Some vanu are more resistant to wind energy. Vanu with this racial trait gain wind resistance 5. This racial trait replaces sleepless magicks.
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Beastmaster: Add a +1/2 bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidate checks to change a creature’s attitude.
- Black Belt: Increase the number of times per day the black belt can use martial flexibility by 1/4.
- Dancer: Add +1 to the dancer’s total number of battle dance rounds per day.
- Monk: Add +1 to the monk’s Acrobatics check bonus gained by spending a point from his ki pool. A monk must be at least 4th level to select this benefit.
- Red Mage: The red mage gains 1/6 of a new ruby arcana.