Cost 8 JP
Activate 3 PP; standard action
Sustain none (instantaneous)
Range 60 feet
Save special (opposed test); Power Resistance no (object)
The superhero has the uncanny ability to cause a mechanical or electronic device to go haywire just by looking at it. If the superhero uses this power on a relatively simple machine or device (something with moving parts, like a firearm or a bicycle, but which requires no power to operate) there is a chance the device jams (completely ceases to function). The object will remain jammed for 1d6 rounds. Ordinary maintenance and cleaning procedures cannot make it functional again until the power’s duration has passed.
If the superhero uses this power on a more complex, powered device (such as a vehicle or a computer), he will afflict the device with a penalty to all actions requiring a die roll. This penalty affects both actions taken by the device itself and actions taken by anyone using the device. If the superhero uses Gremlinism on a moving vehicle, it will force an immediate Drive check, with the negative Gremlinism modifier taken into account. This modifier will last for 1d3 rounds.
To use Gremlinism, the superhero takes a standard action, spend 3 PP, target a single device and roll a Gremlinism check (1d20 + half of the freelancer’s level + his highest stat modifier). The device makes an opposed roll of 1d20. If it is exceptional (eg, masterwork) and/or has any bonuses (it’s enhanced by a power), add its highest bonus to its opposed roll. Also, the sheer size of the device in question can add a circumstance penalty. Small (hand held) devices take no penalty, but every size category larger than small adds +2 to its Saving Throw. Thus, medium devices are +2, large +3, huge +4, and so on. If his roll is higher than the roll of a simple device, it becomes jammed. If it is equal or lower, the power fails. Against complex devices, the superhero inflicts a penalty equal to half the amount he exceeds the device’s roll by. Thus, if the superhero rolls 17 and the device rolls 13, the superhero inflicts a -2 penalty on the item. Sentient machines (such as Shindroids) add +10 to resist the effects of Gremlinism, though automatons and standard robots do not.
Enhancements and limitations
- Enhancement: Absolute Destruction (Cost: 6 JP): The superhero’s Destruction ability is capable of completely eradicating what it affects. When he brings an object to 0 HP, it is reduced to ash. Prerequisite: The superhero must have the Destruction enhancement.
- Enhancement: Destruction (Cost: 1 JP per level): Activate: 1 PP per die. The superhero’s ability to cause machines and objects to malfunction can leave a more lasting impact. As a standard action, he can make a melee touch against an object and deal 1d6 non elemental damage to it. This damage bypasses hardness. Unattended simple objects do not get a save, but held items, magic items, and more complex items (such as cars and computers) are entitled a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of the freelancer’s level + his highest mental stat modifier) to half the damage. Sentient machines (such as Shindroids) add +10 to resist the effects of Destruction, though automatons and standard robots do not. For every level of this power, the superhero adds an additional die of damage to Destruction. The superhero does not have to use the maximum amount when using this power.
- Enhancement: Enhanced Jamming (Cost: 2 JP per level): Each level of this enhancement grants the superhero a +2 bonus on his Gremlinism check. The superhero can take this up to three times, for a maximum bonus of +6.
- Enhancement: Extended Duration (Cost: 3 JP per level): The duration of his Gremlinism is extended by an additional die (d6 or d3, as appropriate) for each level of this enhancement. The superhero can take this up to five times, for a maximum duration of 5d6 rounds (to jam simple items) or 5d3 rounds (complex devices).
- Enhancement: Extended Range (Cost: 2 JP per level): The range at which the superhero can use Gremlinism is increased by 30 feet for each level of this enhancement, to a maximum of three levels, which grants a range of 150 feet.
- Enhancement: Ranged Destruction (Cost: 2 JP per level): The superhero no longer requires him to make physical contact with the object. To do this, the superhero must successfully hit his target with a ranged touch attack. The superhero can use this power at a distance of up to 10 feet for every level of this power. The superhero can take this enhancement 5 times. Its effect stacks. Prerequisite: The superhero must have the Destruction enhancement.