Cost 12 JP
Activate 4 PP; standard action
Sustain 2 PPs per round/minute; free action
Range self; Power Resistance no
The superhero can pass through solid objects, walk through walls, glide through furniture, and generally go wherever he likes. When the superhero shifts from corporeal to Incorporeal form, all equipment he wears and/or holds shift with him unless he drops it, at which point it becomes solid again. When the superhero activates or sustain his Incorporeality, he remains in that state for a full round. The superhero cannot cancel it half-way through his round.
While Incorporeal, his appearance does not change, and he cannot talk to or be heard by corporeal people. Anyone trying to hear the superhero must roll a Perception check DC 30 (the supernaturally sensitive ear might still detect him, but nothing else can). Other Incorporeal people can hear the superhero and talk to him normally. The superhero can, for example, roll and fail a save against a Command spell, but the superhero cannot actually hear the command itself.
All physical objects, including mundane weapons, pass through the superhero. Chemicals, from knock-out gas to acid, have no effect on the superhero. The superhero is similarly unable to manipulate anything around him. The superhero cannot pick up and use objects. The superhero cannot open doors or operate machinery. The superhero can’t even blow out a candle without shifting back to corporeal form. Normal energy effects, like fire or water, similarly have no effect. Super attacks that are only physical, a Super-Strength head butt for example, have no effect but energy-based Super attacks affect the superhero normally, like an Energy Attack: Fire. Other Incorporeal people or attacks can harm the superhero.
Enhancements and limitations
- Enhancement: Fly in Matter (Cost: 2 JP): The superhero can move through solid matter as if he could fly at his normal movement rate.
- Enhancement: Incorporeal Other (Cost: 3 JP): Activate: 2 PP; standard action. Sustain: 2 PP; free action. Range: touch (special). The superhero can turn one person Incorporeal, but he must remain in physical contact with that person. If the superhero renders himself and another person Incorporeal at the same time, he can activate both effects at once, in a single standard action.
- Enhancement: Manifest Sound (Cost: 2 JP): The superhero can now make noise when he chooses to, though when he does so, he makes all noises he might make normally. The superhero can talk and hear, but his money jangles, his clothes rustle, and so on. The superhero can now hear as normal, and therefore is affected by sound-based effects, like the spell Command.
- Enhancement: Move Action Shift (Cost: 2 JP): The superhero can shift forms as a move action.
- Enhancement: Partial Incorporeality (Cost: 4 JP): The superhero can make one segment of his body Incorporeal at a time if the rest of him is corporeal, or vice-versa. The body segments are: head/neck, shoulders/chest, stomach/waist, thighs, calves, feet, hands, forearms, and upper arms. In the case of doubled body parts (feet, hands, etc.), the superhero can make either both or just the left or the right Incorporeal at a time.
- Enhancement: Reflexive Shift (Cost: 3 JP): Activate: 4 PP; immediate action. Sustain: 2 PP per round/minute; free action. If the superhero is solid, retains his Dexterity bonus, and is hit by a physical attack, he can make a Reflex save (DC 15) to instantly shift into Incorporeal form a split second before the hit has a chance to do damage. The superhero must declare his intention to invoke this enhancement after the hit is announced but before full damage is calculated. Prerequisite: The superhero must have the Swift Action Shift enhancement to buy this enhancement.
- Enhancement: Scramble Mundane Technology (Cost: 2 JP): When a mundane piece of technology passes through his Incorporeal body, there is a 50% chance that it will short out, rendering it useless until it is Repaired (DC 15). If it is shorted out, the superhero also takes 1d4 nonlethal damage.
- Enhancement: Swift Action Shift (Cost: 2 JP): The superhero can shift forms as a swift action. Prerequisite: The superhero must have the Move Action Shift enhancement to buy this enhancement.
- Limitation: Gaseous Form (Value: 4 JP): Instead of becoming fully Incorporeal, his body is instead transformed into a coherent gas. The superhero appears mostly as he does when solid, except that he shimmers and shifts in the breeze and he is somewhat translucent. All rules for Incorporeality are unchanged except the following. First, the superhero cannot pass through an air-tight barrier. Second, the superhero is considered three sizes smaller than his normal size when determining how much wind affects him. If the superhero is medium normally, then he takes the same penalties as a fine-sized creature when attempting to resist wind of any kind. Third, the superhero moves through liquids at half speed than when he moves through the air. Fourth, the superhero takes half-damage from energy attacks, and full damage from Super attacks. This limitation is compatible with all of this power’s enhancements, except that Fly in Matter applies only when the superhero is moving through matter that is porous enough that he can move through it at all.